PDA

View Full Version : Fix or sell?

LawnCareMan280
11-13-2012, 08:11 PM
Well over the weekend I let my dad bring my murray mulch and mow push mower to our cottage and the grass was overgrown and he ran over a big tree stump I forgot to mark and now it makes a loud kunk noise every time you go forward so could I fix it or trash it. I would trash it because it broke tons of times but I want you guys's opinions

p.s it is not self propelled

CHEESE2009
11-13-2012, 08:53 PM
Well over the weekend I let my dad bring my murray mulch and mow push mower to our cottage and the grass was overgrown and he ran over a big tree stump I forgot to mark and now it makes a loud kunk noise every time you go forward so could I fix it or trash it. I would trash it because it broke tons of times but I want you guys's opinions

p.s it is not self propelled

Everything should be fairly inexpensive to fix, but if the drive shaft is busted, you might be better of with a new mower.

Ask your dad to bring it over to a dealer, and have him ask for a repair quote.

Got any pics?

SECTLANDSCAPING
11-13-2012, 09:53 PM
I would throw it off it off a highrise building with a competitors name on it.

Seriously use it for parts. You probaly have a flywheel problem and its a pita fix. Chances are youll find a mower with the same engine and a bad carb and wallah you got a good mower again.

bruces
11-13-2012, 10:42 PM
cant think of a single good reason to have a shop repair a $150.00 mower from wallmart .If you cant fix it yourself ,just get another one .

Hedgemaster
11-13-2012, 11:15 PM
A mower without self-propel is like a horse with a broken leg.

Take it out in a field and put a bullet in it.

:D

FreedomYardService
11-13-2012, 11:55 PM
Donate it to a charitable organization and use it as a tax write off. They will probably scrap it for metal or sell it for parts anyways.

Steve
11-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Here is a good chance for you to learn a lot more about the mechanics of a mower. If you are already writing it off, why not start taking it apart. See how it works and see if you can find what is wrong with it.

Any mechanical knowledge you gain will help you the rest of your life.

CHEESE2009
11-14-2012, 12:41 PM
Take it apart, and put it back together, only this time, you will be apart of the mower.

Mower-Man.

LawnCareMan280
11-15-2012, 06:10 PM
Ya I'll probably get a self propelled one.

LawnCareMan280
11-16-2012, 10:32 PM
I would throw it off it off a highrise building with a competitors name on it.

Seriously use it for parts. You probaly have a flywheel problem and its a pita fix. Chances are youll find a mower with the same engine and a bad carb and wallah you got a good mower again.

I should write my old friend. We got into a fight because he got mad because I got more accounts then I did. I should do that to piss him off

LawnCareMan280
11-16-2012, 10:38 PM
I was wondering if I get rid of it I think I want the Toro Timemaster30. I want it because it has a blade clutch and keep the engine running. 2 my old crappy mower only is side dishcharge I want mulcher for grass side discharge for overgrown grass and the bagger for leaf cleanup.

My question is do I need one but I need it because I have my aunts lawn and an eldery lady's lawn. So should I get it? Tell me now!

Travis

LawnCareMan280
11-16-2012, 10:44 PM
I should write my old friend. We got into a fight because he got mad because I got more accounts then I did. I should do that to piss him off

Sunny mowervs Vanden Broek Lawn Service aka me vs sierra Lawn Care vs Buss Lawn Care Game on people. One thing shocking is today I created a Lawn service shirt for me and everybody stared at me while I was driving my John Deere down the sidewalk creepy :0. Other thing is me and my old friend are only 13 year old compettitors wierd

CHEESE2009
11-16-2012, 11:16 PM
my old friend are only 13 year old compettitors wierd

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/77/260137-117194-professor-x_super.jpg

lol

SECTLANDSCAPING
11-17-2012, 12:03 AM
I was wondering if I get rid of it I think I want the Toro Timemaster30. I want it because it has a blade clutch and keep the engine running. 2 my old crappy mower only is side dishcharge I want mulcher for grass side discharge for overgrown grass and the bagger for leaf cleanup.

My question is do I need one but I need it because I have my aunts lawn and an eldery lady's lawn. So should I get it? Tell me now!

Travis

The blade clutch is very useful all my 22" hondas have it and I love it.

The 30" timemaster doesnt seem like to bad a machine. Its not commercial grade but small mowers take a beating. You get a 30" cut for under a grand. You really cant complain about that. If you happen to expand and get bigger mowers. It will still have its purpose. Small enough to get through gates and light enough to pick up.

LawnCareMan280
11-21-2012, 11:20 AM
Everything should be fairly inexpensive to fix, but if the drive shaft is busted, you might be better of with a new mower.

Ask your dad to bring it over to a dealer, and have him ask for a repair quote.

Got any pics?

no but I can get some for you

jasonw
11-21-2012, 11:32 AM
Here is a good chance for you to learn a lot more about the mechanics of a mower. If you are already writing it off, why not start taking it apart. See how it works and see if you can find what is wrong with it.

Any mechanical knowledge you gain will help you the rest of your life.

That is EXACTLY what I do. Everything I have the breaks I fix myself now, if I can fix it then GREAT if I can't fix it OR if I can replace it cheaper than the fix then I tear it down, put all the good parts on the parts shelf and toss the rest. It saved my butt earlier this year when I had a 40 year old tiller carb on the shelf after my chipper crapped out on me.

Carb problems? I am not a tech and I cant figure it out, scrap it, grab the old carb off the shelf, bolt it on and get back to work.