PDA

View Full Version : Ferris vs. Toro vs. Exmark vs. Snapper Pro

Mowin4Dollas
11-13-2012, 09:36 AM
I have been looking at the Ferris IS2000, Exmark Pioneer, Toro Titan MX, and Snapper Pro 200. All in 52" models. Engine wise, is the B&S cyclonic engine any good, or is the Kawasaki better ? On the Ferris is the suspension worth it? I'm just trying to make the correct decision when I buy a mower in the next few months.

Steve
11-13-2012, 11:43 AM
We have had members on here with bad backs that need as much suspension as they can get. I think you will find it adds weight to the mower but you may find the suspension worthwhile as well.

CHEESE2009
11-13-2012, 11:48 AM
We have had members on here with bad backs that need as much suspension as they can get.

I have never even considered this! It's very true, my back actually does hurt some days because I can't sit in the seat properly while trying to maintain full control of the tractor.

If you can keep your back straight without leaning forward too much, that's a plus. I'd also look into getting arm wrests, they'll help you keep your body aligned, and I assume that would help you prevent an injury.

SECTLANDSCAPING
11-13-2012, 12:02 PM
I have never even considered this! It's very true, my back actually does hurt some days because I can't sit in the seat properly while trying to maintain full control of the tractor.

If you can keep your back straight without leaning forward too much, that's a plus. I'd also look into getting arm wrests, they'll help you keep your body aligned, and I assume that would help you prevent an injury.

I eliminated my back pain by using a stander. Its harder on the legs but my legs can take a beating. Before when I sat on the rider for a hour and then got up, I was stiff. Then add the truck into it and I was walking like a zombie.

Mowin4Dollas
11-13-2012, 01:05 PM
I am a hefty ball of love. 6'2 230 lb dude. So the suspension might be good. Which one cuts better?

Steve
11-14-2012, 12:02 PM
Scott, don't you run a toro? How do you like it compared to others you have used?

Mike@Redneck Lawncare
11-14-2012, 12:22 PM
If you are dead set on a ztr then check out the Scag Cheetah they come in a 48" - 52" and a 61" they have a full suspension ****pit for the operator.. go to www.scag.com and check it out.

If you are looking for a stander I would also check out the Scag V-ride

hope this helps Mike the Redneck...:D

Mowin4Dollas
11-14-2012, 01:09 PM
I will not buy a scag, because of the treatment I received from the scag dealer in town. Homestead Tractor will never get my business.

Mike@Redneck Lawncare
11-14-2012, 01:27 PM
I will not buy a scag, because of the treatment I received from the scag dealer in town. Homestead Tractor will never get my business.

Well in that case the Snapper Pro would be the way to go .. My Scag dealer takes good care of me, maybe you could call Scag at their 800 number and let them know how the dealer treated you and they will do whatever they can not to lose a potential buyer, but if you are totally against a Scag I will totally understand, But whatever you buy I hope you get the best price and that you get treated with respect, and if not remember to call and complain about that specific dealer, the manufacture will do something about it trust me ..

hope this helps and thanks for listening to my rant Mike the Redneck:cool:

pfreeman
11-14-2012, 01:53 PM
I run a Ferris 2000 61". It has the 26hp Kawasaki, liquid cooled. The suspension is nice but is prone to scalp if turning or slowing down too quickly. The shocks dip and cause burn marks. Once you learn the proper technique, it is a decent piece of machinery. The Ferris and Snapper are the same piece of machinery. I am not a big fan of Toro. If comfort is your concern, you may want to look at Gravely. They have an awesome air ride seat that blows everyone else away in the comfort department. A stand-on unit may be what you are looking for, they are very comfortable and compact.

Mowin4Dollas
11-14-2012, 10:12 PM
I got a price for a snapper pro s75x at around 130 a month for 48 months. Is theat a good machine?

elbow300
11-26-2012, 12:45 AM
Admittedly, I have not run all the equipment out there. With that said, I think most of the big manufacturers out there are turning out fine equipment. One may have controls or option you prefer over another, but the decision for me comes down to service. In my market, we also have Homestead, which sells John Deere by the way, and that is why there is no green ever on any of our trailers. The best dealer in town for service is Ferris, Snapper Pro, Exmark. I have units made by all three, and for my money the Snapper is the best. I have a Ferris I really like, but it wasn't worth the extra $2k over the Snapper Pro. I thought all the bells and whistles were going to be the "bees knees," but after buying a Snapper the next year, I realized what is important is reliability and quality of cut, not creature comforts. Both machines cut very well, and both seem to give us good service. The difference is in cost. Again, I'm not saying Snapper is the best thing on 4 wheels, but the Snapper/ Ferris/ Exmark dealer treats me well. They have parts on the shelf, and a dedication to get their commercial cutters in and out of the service department quickly. They even send out their demo units if they cant get your equipment back right away. A day or two without a mower can really put your operation in a tail spin. Service sells the equipment!

Mowin4Dollas
11-26-2012, 12:56 PM
I know the dealer I will be working with is great. Which is a big deal for me! I appreciate the input!!