PDA

View Full Version : Day Labor ie Labor ready

SECTLANDSCAPING
11-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Considering labor ready for shoveler's this year. Last year I kept a few guys on payroll and they ended up working 30 hours from mid dec-mar. So I paid them unemployment benefits for the whole winter.

I havent really made up my mind but its appealing since I dont have to worry about taxes, payroll, unemployment, or workers comp. I know a few guys will show every storm.

Thats the problem I had last year. With so little work and people getting paid whether they showed or not. I had trouble getting them to work on short notice or any notice.

LawnBoy0311
11-12-2012, 03:43 PM
At my full time job we use them. It's SOOOOOO easy. The cost sucks, BUT its a good deal in your case if your only using them as needed. Good thinking!

stevef1201
11-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Here labor ready is great, if you call at 7 am you get guys by 8, the down side is no habla english

SECTLANDSCAPING
11-12-2012, 05:47 PM
Here labor ready is great, if you call at 7 am you get guys by 8, the down side is no habla english

Our labor ready guys speak English when there not sloppy drunk.

Yeah the cost sucks but the reassurance that no matter what ill have 2,3,4,5,6 guys there in a call is a good thing.

dpld
11-12-2012, 07:51 PM
Our labor ready guys speak English when there not sloppy drunk.

Yeah the cost sucks but the reassurance that no matter what ill have 2,3,4,5,6 guys there in a call is a good thing.

i used a similar outfit years ago when i had a huge mulch job to do and i just needed donkey's to wheel mulch back and forth and i worked out half way decent.
some guys were in horrible shape but most of them were hungry to work even though they were not making squat.

i would take a crack at using them for shoveling because most guys you hire for that are unreliable anyway.
i would wonder though on the hours of availabillity and if they would send people in at 2 am in the morning.

heck ,if i can get them to come out at any hour i would have to consider trying them again.
good thinking sectlandscaping thanks for the renew on a old idea i actually forgot that i used these people years ago.
good thing with them is you can get 1 guy or a 100 if you need them and as long as the work is basic, they do all right. i definitly would not use any of them for a technical job or running any machines.

LawnBoy0311
11-12-2012, 08:27 PM
i would wonder though on the hours of availabillity and if they would send people in at 2 am in the morning.

I've had some start at 3am with me. Just arrange it the day before with the office so they will have paperwork in hand before before working the crap out of them.

SECTLANDSCAPING
11-12-2012, 08:53 PM
I've had some start at 3am with me. Just arrange it the day before with the office so they will have paperwork in hand before before working the crap out of them.

Yeah the guy I talked to said they can text people now to go out at anytime. He said some were skilled enough to use blowers. That made me laugh.

stevef1201
11-12-2012, 09:37 PM
Yeah the guy I talked to said they can text people now to go out at anytime. He said some were skilled enough to use blowers. That made me laugh.

Come on now how much skill does it take to use a blower?

My best luck at day labor is in the next town over, just pull up to the Mexican store and hold up how many fingers for how many people I need. Usually get one guy about 20 to 30 and one kid-he's 18 really- they work their asses off, can most generally run any machine, do a good job, and the best is they do three times the work of most of the 'helpers' I can hire

SECTLANDSCAPING
11-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Come on now how much skill does it take to use a blower?

My best luck at day labor is in the next town over, just pull up to the Mexican store and hold up how many fingers for how many people I need. Usually get one guy about 20 to 30 and one kid-he's 18 really- they work their asses off, can most generally run any machine, do a good job, and the best is they do three times the work of most of the 'helpers' I can hire

You know how this works steve. You stick them in a box truck and ill give you mucho deniro.

dpld
11-13-2012, 08:02 AM

that's good to know, thanks for the info.

if we actually get snow this year i will have to take advantage of rent-a-back and the good thing is up by me they mostly have spaniards with dead peoples SS# and they already know how to work somewhat.

years ago before the economic slow down they mostly had black folk which were fine but they were not good with anything weather related like shoveling snow at 2 am.
i guess they don't like cold wet weather which nobody does but they outright refuse to do it and they don't make air jordan's waterproof as well as those @ss hanger pants kids wear today don't bode well with bending over shoveling snow.

Steve
11-13-2012, 11:42 AM
Considering labor ready for shoveler's this year.

Would they be just like hiring from any other temp agency?