PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the Adirondacks!

pburghlawns
11-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Starting a lawn care business in the Spring of 2013, I would like any suggestions for start up. How should I charge my customers, Should I offer discounts for new customers or seniors? Anything at this time will help me. Thank you very much

Steve
11-09-2012, 01:15 PM
Hi Kyle,

Welcome to our forum!

Have you considered getting your feet wet a bit and offer some fall yard cleanups?

pburghlawns
11-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Hi Kyle,

Welcome to our forum!

Have you considered getting your feet wet a bit and offer some fall yard cleanups?

I have done a few this year already, but, in the end, i think i undercharged just to gain the customer. How do i know if i am under or over charging a customer?

CHEESE2009
11-09-2012, 03:16 PM
In my experience, it's always been better to be strict with your prices and charge what you need.

Offering discounts now (even to gain clients) could have your clients hating you down the road if you wont offer them the same price later on.

Clients are worse than crack addicts, your 'discount' becomes addictive, and they will hassle you for a discount every time you speak with them. They will haunt your dreams until you give in, or have them fire you because you said, "NO!".

In a recent post by me, I had shown that a client lost all credibility with me, all because I refused to offer him a service for free.

-

Never assume that a client gives a crap about you, and will actually appreciate your generosity - they don't think like that.

This is how a client thinks:

He gave me something for free/less expensive one time, and if I don't get the same price this year, he/she is:

1. A horrible businessman/woman.
2. An a-hole.
3. Ripping me off.
4. Selfish and has no respect.

... That's how the mind of a client works.

Steve
11-12-2012, 10:43 AM
in the end, i think i undercharged just to gain the customer. How do i know if i am under or over charging a customer?

Well first off, what makes you think you undercharged them? Can you explain to us a little about the situation?