PDA

View Full Version : Walk-behind leaf blower vs. pull behind vacuum chipper

Shiny Frieda
11-08-2012, 12:58 PM
We just moved to a 3-acre property (lawn+ gardens around the house), surrounded by woods. Now I have twigs, branches and acorns mixed with leaves to clean up.

My Echo TC770 backpack blower has done a good job cleaning nooks and crannies, but it's a lot of dust all over and the backpack just doesn't perform that well when I get to the open field. In 4 hours, I must have cleaned half of the lawn.

First I thought of getting a push leaf blower, since my lawn is flat (no inclination) and I can send all leaves and other debris into the woods.

But would the push blower be efficient when it comes to removing acorns? I keep thinking a pull behind vacuum/chipper may do a better job and it would take care of the twigs.

What do you guys think? Thanks!

SECTLANDSCAPING
11-08-2012, 04:41 PM
Either one wont do much for acorns. The problem with acorns is theres no mass and there heavy. So they dont blow well.

I had a push leaf vac and it does ok on the twigs it will pick up a few acorns but not enough to invest in it just for that.

CHEESE2009
11-08-2012, 06:22 PM
I don't understand those wheeled blowers. I just find them to be so limited.

Upgrade to a better backpack blower, or try out Stihl's blower attachment for their KM90 engine. Apparently it's stronger than ALL of their backpack blowers.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lNModXvCbAc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'll be the first one to say, that old man sucks at his job...

Von Bobbeh
11-08-2012, 06:51 PM
I don't understand those wheeled blowers. I just find them to be so limited.

Upgrade to a better backpack blower, or try out Stihl's blower attachment for their KM90 engine. Apparently it's stronger than ALL of their backpack blowers.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lNModXvCbAc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I used one of those helping another lawn guy with a cleanup, awkward and NOT as powerful as a backpack blower. touchy trigger too; there is no real medium speed.

avetslawncare
11-08-2012, 07:52 PM

I don't think he sucks, I was thinking he blows.... just my thought.

CHEESE2009
11-09-2012, 09:46 AM
I used one of those helping another lawn guy with a cleanup, awkward and NOT as powerful as a backpack blower. touchy trigger too; there is no real medium speed.

I was lied too than :(

I was going to pick one up but I had my doubts - now I can rest easy at night.

-

I don't think much can beat a back pack blower in terms of its usefulness, just being able to aim it how you please can be a big advantage! The only thing I hate, is how I get pinned to the house behind bushes sometimes, man that sucks!

hahahaha!

-

Also, a backpack blower can do big tasks, but you really have to be in the mind set, sometimes I'm not and I have to snap into gear... I see some guys expecting the blower to do everything, but they (sometimes me) should get more involved and do some constant thinking. Physics!!!

-

I wish I had a rolling blower, I could try out all these types of gear and put them against each other.

I think the rolling blower is limited, because it's trying to push a massive pile slowly, and there is a lot of resistance with taller piles. With a backback blower, you can break up the front of the pile and work your way back, pushing the leaves where you want.

This is all theory, I've never used a rolling blower - but my brain tells me that's exactly how it will perform againts a backpack blower.

ALSO I'm assuming the rolling blowers cost. If you're looking for something around the same price range, then a backpack blower is probably best - but there are heavy duty rolling blowers like this that probably cost quite a lot!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OaacVznlF2s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I'm still not impressed, how about you?

krzys666
11-09-2012, 11:08 AM
if you got the money get a walk behind blower.
the 18 hp self propelled fradan is as far as i am concerned the best one out there. at least here i can go straight to the manufacter and get whatever i need right away including engines, hydros ect.
no they do not break easily but ours get used about 40 hours a week now, or about 10 - 15 hours when leaves are not falling.

they are built extremely well, durable, and can be hit and thrown around on the trucks. they run us about 2600 each. we have 7 of them and some smaller ones also.

for a large property as you have it is the best blower. it will take the larger twigs.

use the backpack for the smaller twigs and acorns.

another possibility you have is using a mower with a vacuum attached to it.

CHEESE2009
11-09-2012, 11:42 AM
they run us about 2600 each.

That's a pretty reasonable price.

Really good backpack blowers range from $800-$1000.

It'd be cool the have both!

Shiny Frieda
11-09-2012, 03:28 PM
Thank you, all, for your ideas and expertise.

I thought of upgrading my backpack blower, but I don't think I can carry much more than what I already am. Unfortunately I'm not that strong. I used my backpack for 6 hours and it felt like somebody beat me up. I think eventually I'll get used to it.

Regarding the push behind blowers, gosh the 18hp Fradan blower is a monster!!

I was thinking of getting a Little Wonder LB390HSP Self Propelled Blower, which is $2k and has a Honda 400cc engine - more than 3 times more powerful than my backpack.

Would I be better off investing on a Fradan? I don't know if Little Wonder is a good brand...

Cashin H&P
11-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Thank you, all, for your ideas and expertise.

I thought of upgrading my backpack blower, but I don't think I can carry much more than what I already am. Unfortunately I'm not that strong. I used my backpack for 6 hours and it felt like somebody beat me up. I think eventually I'll get used to it.

Regarding the push behind blowers, gosh the 18hp Fradan blower is a monster!!

I was thinking of getting a Little Wonder LB390HSP Self Propelled Blower, which is $2k and has a Honda 400cc engine - more than 3 times more powerful than my backpack.

Would I be better off investing on a Fradan? I don't know if Little Wonder is a good brand...

I have a Little Wounder with and 8hp Brigs and Straton. The thing is awosome, a back pack blower and a walk behind blower can move damn near ANYTHING!

Lopes Lawn Care
11-09-2012, 04:44 PM
I have a walk behind blower it's an old 8hp little wonder. The thing starts up first pull every year and is a beast at blowing big piles. Although I rarely use it now. Most of my yards go a lot quicker if we just tarp the leaves once we have a big pile and get it out and near the truck for vacuuming.

I can see the walk behind being useful if your doing big properties and maybe moving the leaves into the woods or something. Although I still think the tarp and move method goes the quickest. For me at least.

Martywdx
11-09-2012, 07:41 PM
that should move some acorns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDMkLA7v1xY

krzys666
11-10-2012, 07:23 AM
That's a pretty reasonable price.

Really good backpack blowers range from $800-$1000.

It'd be cool the have both!

i was referring to the fradan blower costing $2600
our dealer gets the redmax 8500 out the door for 550 with tax.

and yes we do larger properties over an acre with very few being under an acre

stevef1201
11-10-2012, 05:02 PM
I saw on a website, where I dont remember, a blower that looks like a jet engine, blowing leaves across a park. I think it was a city park, and they were moving piles about 60 feet at a time.

Now that is a blower! It was mounted a large tractor, and the nozzle was turnable to either side. It was really neat. I cannot remember what the asking price was but it was north of 30 grand

Grass Doctor
11-10-2012, 05:53 PM
I was lied too than :(

I was going to pick one up but I had my doubts - now I can rest easy at night.

-

I don't think much can beat a back pack blower in terms of its usefulness, just being able to aim it how you please can be a big advantage! The only thing I hate, is how I get pinned to the house behind bushes sometimes, man that sucks!

hahahaha!

-

Also, a backpack blower can do big tasks, but you really have to be in the mind set, sometimes I'm not and I have to snap into gear... I see some guys expecting the blower to do everything, but they (sometimes me) should get more involved and do some constant thinking. Physics!!!

-

I wish I had a rolling blower, I could try out all these types of gear and put them against each other.

I think the rolling blower is limited, because it's trying to push a massive pile slowly, and there is a lot of resistance with taller piles. With a backback blower, you can break up the front of the pile and work your way back, pushing the leaves where you want.

This is all theory, I've never used a rolling blower - but my brain tells me that's exactly how it will perform againts a backpack blower.

ALSO I'm assuming the rolling blowers cost. If you're looking for something around the same price range, then a backpack blower is probably best - but there are heavy duty rolling blowers like this that probably cost quite a lot!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OaacVznlF2s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I'm still not impressed, how about you?

what a mess. luv the song.

Shiny Frieda
11-18-2012, 10:02 AM
Hi all, thank you so much for your ideas and for taking the time to help me. I am so grateful I have found you. You are so generous with information. Thank you!

I decided on a self-propelled Fradan Vortex 14hp and got it at a dealer close to my home for $2199. I was able to clean most of the mess in my yard in 4 hours with it, and it did a pretty good job moving twigs and acorns too.

I am sure that next year, by cleaning weekly and not letting this ginormous pile of leaves sit in the yard for so long, I will clean our property very quickly.

Again, thank you so much, guys!! Best of luck to you all in your projects and have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday.