PDA

View Full Version : Retiring and Expanding a small lawncare buisness

dtacmed
11-05-2012, 08:26 AM
Retiring after 31 years in EMS. Have a few yards already and would like to turn this into a Real buisness. Not looking to make a fortune just some additional income doing something i really enjoy. I will be starting with a X-Mark 36" Turf Tracer and a 52" S series Rider. Any suggestions will be a 1 man operation to begin with. Thanks

LawnBoy0311
11-05-2012, 10:28 AM
For mowers, thats a good start. No need to go spending a bunch of money on brand new shiny stuff right away. Market like crazy- they don't call if they don't know your a business.

What other equipment do you have?

Steve
11-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Welcome to our forum!

What kinds of things have you done to get the customers you have now? Can you scale that up? Also can you talk with your current customer base to see if they can refer you to anyone else or talk to the neighbors of your current customers to get them to sign up too?

Sprinkler Buddy
11-05-2012, 01:24 PM
With time, it will grow as big as you want it to through word of mouth. Providing you keep your current customers happy. Enjoy your retirement. :-) Don't work to hard. lol

dtacmed
11-05-2012, 08:51 PM
Thanks I also have echo Backpack, hand held blowers and string trimmer. Looking to also add Echo pas unit. Normal hand tools and looking to upgrade to a 14' trailer with side load. Need suggestions on dual or single axle. I will be pulling with a Tacoma crew cab 4x4 6 cyl. Thanks for the info.

Steve
11-06-2012, 09:10 AM
Do you have space with the customers you want to service to park a larger trailer in front of their house or would you be limited and want to use a smaller one?

dtacmed
11-06-2012, 09:37 AM
Space should not be a problem as far as trailer size.

Steve
11-07-2012, 10:46 AM
With parking space not a problem.

It seems no matter what trailer size you get, in a short time you are wishing you got the one that was just a little bigger.

Keep us posted on what you decide to go with.

Williams Simple Lawn Care
11-18-2012, 07:15 PM
David, sounds like what i told you, no matter what size trailer you buy, you will want/ need a larger one......

ringahding1
11-19-2012, 04:59 AM
Since you are mostly equipment set, it would be a great idea to get your name on flyers. Are you going to offer Leaf Clean Ups?

My flyers have now been turned into business cards(postcard size). Business has been so good we have not had to distribute them. I actually hate to even say it.

Do not get suckered into quick marketing schemes. Keep everything simple. Maybe build a website(Highly Recommend A Self Hosted Site) This and flyers has been our secret to getting the phone ring-ah-ding. Keep that between me & you...haha

Google Places ~ Get your business listed there FREE...
Of course there is tons more, but that would keep a guy or gal busy over the winter months.

dandavis193
12-04-2012, 10:23 PM
i retired about a year ago. i want to start a small yard maintenance business to support my horrible golfing habit. i want to do mowing, clean up, maybe aeration and fertilizing and gutter cleaning. Any advice on how to get some jobs and price my services would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!! Dan

Steve
12-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Any advice on how to get some jobs and price my services would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Dan,

Have you gotten some business cards made up yet to hand out to friends and family? What about getting flyers out to your neighbors?

As far as estimating/pricing goes, have you played around yet with the estimation calculators (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?p=43299#post43299)?