PDA

View Full Version : ebz8000 no start

SECTLANDSCAPING
11-04-2012, 09:09 PM
My redmax backpack blower wont start. I cleaned the air filter and tried without. I cleaned the muffler and tried without.

I have spark and good compression. The carb was cleaned. The plug looks dry. tried gas down the plug hole. Nada...

willshome
11-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Did you check to see if its priming?
Check the fuel filter?
did you change out the gas?
how is it pulling over the 8k are know for killing bearing

SECTLANDSCAPING
11-04-2012, 09:40 PM
I see the gas moving when I prime it.

The gas is new. I only use this blower in the spring and fall. It sat dry since April. I pulled it out for a clean up yesterday.

Filter was next on my list. I didnt have a can to dump it nearby.

It pulls nice. Sounds like its ready to go. It just wont fire.

How would I check the bearing?

willshome
11-05-2012, 08:25 AM
sounds like carb problem I would try a LITTLE starting fluid
I just had a problem with my echo "bad gas" very hard to start and would not stay running changed out fuel, fuel filter, plug, air filter with little improvement so I added Marvel Mystery Oil and now its running better. Don't know if that was it but its working for me

wandfsmall
11-05-2012, 10:14 AM
sounds like carb problem I would try a LITTLE starting fluid
I just had a problem with my echo "bad gas" very hard to start and would not stay running changed out fuel, fuel filter, plug, air filter with little improvement so I added Marvel Mystery Oil and now its running better. Don't know if that was it but its working for me

I would recommend NO-STARTING FLUID use carb cleaner, it will not damage the unit. Sorry it has been a few weeks since I have been on as my competitors are going out of business and I have been busy. I agree you likely need to clean your carb.

SECTLANDSCAPING
11-05-2012, 08:14 PM
Cleaned the carb again still no start. I took off a little chamber on the side of the piston and watched when I tried to start. I only seen detonation on maybe 2 out of 10 pulls.

Lopes Lawn Care
11-06-2012, 07:27 AM
This might be completely stupid but can it be a kill switch issue? Like a loose wire or something? Something that's keeping it on the off position when it looks like it's on? Shot in the dark i know but maybe.

wandfsmall
11-06-2012, 02:33 PM
Cleaned the carb again still no start. I took off a little chamber on the side of the piston and watched when I tried to start. I only seen detonation on maybe 2 out of 10 pulls.

I would say check the coil, I do not have the manual in front of me but the easy way is to check voltage but you would likely not have the tester for that at home... I will see what I can do if I get a chance. I have been really busy lately, I am starting to dread spring.

SECTLANDSCAPING
11-06-2012, 03:29 PM
I would say check the coil, I do not have the manual in front of me but the easy way is to check voltage but you would likely not have the tester for that at home... I will see what I can do if I get a chance. I have been really busy lately, I am starting to dread spring.

I think it is the coil. Last spring I would get no spark after about a hour of use. After about ten minutes it would run fine. I heard before thats a sign of a bad coil.

Now I can see some exhaust smoke coming out of the muffler when I pull it. I just have no way of knowing if theres enough spark to keep it going. If I cant figure it out its headed to the dealer. I hate to admit defeat.

The coils run about 100 bucks?

Steve
11-07-2012, 11:53 AM
If you pull the plug out and ground it with the wire attached, you should be able to see the spark. If you can't see it at all or can barely see it, maybe try cleaning the gap first or replacing the spark plug?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5qSgmunp_Ys" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

wandfsmall
11-08-2012, 09:30 AM
I think it is the coil. Last spring I would get no spark after about a hour of use. After about ten minutes it would run fine. I heard before thats a sign of a bad coil.

Now I can see some exhaust smoke coming out of the muffler when I pull it. I just have no way of knowing if theres enough spark to keep it going. If I cant figure it out its headed to the dealer. I hate to admit defeat.

The coils run about 100 bucks?

Depends on the full model number but that should be in the ball park.

wandfsmall
11-08-2012, 09:37 AM
If you pull the plug out and ground it with the wire attached, you should be able to see the spark. If you can't see it at all or can barely see it, maybe try cleaning the gap first or replacing the spark plug?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5qSgmunp_Ys" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

that test is not even accurate enough to make any judgement from it is not even easy to see that it has a spark let alone the color of the spark to give you a hint of heat range.

SECTLANDSCAPING
11-10-2012, 11:21 PM
that test is not even accurate enough to make any judgement from it is not even easy to see that it has a spark let alone the color of the spark to give you a hint of heat range.

thats pretty much what I said. Just seeing spark does not mean its not a problem. That eliminates safety switches from the equation.

I dropped it off at the dealer. This is a first for me. I have fixed everything up to this point.

I didnt ask the time frame but I noticed on my receipt the estimated return was 2 weeks. WTF! I cant wait 2 weeks for my biggest backpack in clean up season. Do dealers normally take this long or is just a way to cover them if they have to order parts and what not?

Lopes Lawn Care
11-11-2012, 02:41 PM
Yeah Sect, I've been in the same boat with a new stihl br600 I bought last season. Early in the summer it just sheet the bed after only being used last fall and this spring. Turns out they need to replace the block. It was all covered under warranty but took about 3 weeks to get back. It was also my first time having to bring something to the dealer and although it wasn't a big deal at the time I would be pissed if I had to wait that long during the fall season.

Good luck man, hope you get it back sooner then later.

wandfsmall
11-11-2012, 09:56 PM
thats pretty much what I said. Just seeing spark does not mean its not a problem. That eliminates safety switches from the equation.

I dropped it off at the dealer. This is a first for me. I have fixed everything up to this point.

I didnt ask the time frame but I noticed on my receipt the estimated return was 2 weeks. WTF! I cant wait 2 weeks for my biggest backpack in clean up season. Do dealers normally take this long or is just a way to cover them if they have to order parts and what not?

it can depend on the dealer really, it could be that they are act 2 weeks out but it could also be that they can get up to 2 weeks out. For example I normally see 80 units a day in march where I can see 1 to 2 units a day the week of 4th of july. so my wait time varies on time of year.

SECTLANDSCAPING
11-20-2012, 04:51 PM
how is it pulling over the 8k are know for killing bearing
You won a broken blower. Shop said the bearing is rocking and on the way out and part of the piston broke and scored the cylinder.

It was a side I couldnt see and the compression did seem fine but I didnt put it on the tester because the plug is a odd size.

Not sure if I should get a short block for $215?

willshome
11-20-2012, 07:00 PM
sorry to hear that, but if they can fix it for under $220 that would be a great blower and worth the money. You will know the biggest problem with it is fixed (for now)

SECTLANDSCAPING
11-20-2012, 07:14 PM
sorry to hear that, but if they can fix it for under $220 that would be a great blower and worth the money. You will know the biggest problem with it is fixed (for now)

That would be me fixing it. They wanted $200 in labor and its bolt on.

willshome
11-21-2012, 07:53 AM
if it is something you feel ok with doing sounds like a good winter project. I would take it apart to check if the shop is right before ordering the new one

SECTLANDSCAPING
11-21-2012, 09:50 PM
Its nothing challenging. Just bolt it to the housing of the blower and then put the muffler and carb back on. The question comes is it worth fixing a 8 yr old blower for $215 when something else will go wrong vs buying a new one for $499 with a 2 year warranty. I know I cant buy this blower for less then $275 used. So the way I see it $215 for the blower with a new engine is a win win. I'm thinking the cheapest way possible and a little sentimental. For all I know I could need a carb in the spring and now I spent damn near $300 on a blower that looks like crap.

I will check the bearing inside though. If the bearing is not needed I can fix it for half the cost but it would be more labor since I would have to assemble the piston and rings in the block vs getting the short block that is completely assembled.

Steve
11-23-2012, 01:17 PM
The question comes is it worth fixing a 8 yr old blower for $215 when something else will go wrong vs buying a new one for $499 with a 2 year warranty.

I tend to think it's better to fix items as you go. $215 is a lot cheaper now than $499. If something else happens by next spring, re-evaluate it and see where you want to go from there.

SECTLANDSCAPING
11-23-2012, 07:16 PM
I have this almost completely tore down. I cant figure out how to get the piston off and I stripped a screw on the blower fan that holds the lower block in.

SECTLANDSCAPING
11-24-2012, 01:04 PM
Found a little clip that held the piston in. The piston is shot, the cylinder doesnt look to bad. I cant get to the bearing to check that. Gonna have to assume its good because if I cant get to it, I know the shop didnt.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t132/dirtypockets/IMG_20121124_125325.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t132/dirtypockets/IMG_20121124_125220.jpg

willshome
11-24-2012, 06:56 PM
nice pile o-parts

Organic Ken
11-25-2012, 02:19 AM
If you can afford it, I would buy new and toss this one. The piston obviously got very hot and I'm sure your going to have cylinder wall damage and bearing damage. Even if you buy a new piston, etc. it will probably only be good for a short time. thats my take on it. Good luck!

Steve
11-26-2012, 02:18 PM
I bet you feel good learning how all that works! Can't way to see it all back together and working better than before. Nice job.