PDA

View Full Version : Land!

Matther777
11-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Well hey there once again hope this week has served you well!

As time progresses more and more question pop up. For instance I live in an HOA and I believe when I start my business they will find out I am running it out of the house and tell me to leave. I am curious if any of you guys have commercial land you use for storing your equipment, trucks, etc. If you do, how did you obtain it or contact to lease one out?

If this is vague let me know and I will try and explain more.

CHEESE2009
11-02-2012, 07:29 PM
Well hey there once again hope this week has served you well!

As time progresses more and more question pop up. For instance I live in an HOA and I believe when I start my business they will find out I am running it out of the house and tell me to leave. I am curious if any of you guys have commercial land you use for storing your equipment, trucks, etc. If you do, how did you obtain it or contact to lease one out?

If this is vague let me know and I will try and explain more.

I'm not entirely sure if that scenario is possible. It's best to advise a lawyer and see what your rights are for running a business out of your garage, etc.

-

I know of a company who had bought a second house, demolished the house, and now uses it as a tractor storage... It's in the suburbs, but in the more secluded area... So I suppose some things are possible and worth looking into.

Matther777
11-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Well no the rules are I cannot have commercial vehicles parked in the street or driveway for more than 48hours I am just planning ahead in case I would have to leave the truck at the house for a longer that. I guess it is more of we will wait and see. But I would also need some lot space for storing equipment and my business will have other services that require lot space.

CHEESE2009
11-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Well no the rules are I cannot have commercial vehicles parked in the street or driveway for more than 48hours I am just planning ahead in case I would have to leave the truck at the house for a longer that. I guess it is more of we will wait and see. But I would also need some lot space for storing equipment and my business will have other services that require lot space.

Maybe there is a way around it. Maybe if your vehicle wasn't under your companies name? :p

It wouldn't be right for them to kick you out. I see other vehicles parked in non-commercial driveways all the time. Taxi drivers for example... Not sure why we're treated differently, other than the fact we're very annoying at 8am to all the sleeping neighbors... hahaha!

Steve
11-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Do you have a garage you can park your truck or trailer? Tell us more how you would be storing your trailer and truck when not in use.

Matther777
11-06-2012, 05:38 PM
Well I would have to park the truck in the driveway then the trailer in the street. I can store all my equipment in the garage I just know the HOA seems to not like trailers in the street or driveway for long periods of time.

CHEESE2009
11-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Every night for the next 5 years, sneak out and increase your fenceline 1ft.

Eventually your neighbor will have no backyard, and you will have more room for storage!

Steve
11-07-2012, 11:57 AM
If you know your hoa is picky and they can be very picky, any sign you leave of running a business will cause problems. A trailer parked in the street can definitely be noticeable and cause problems.

Try it if you want but be prepared to rent a storage area to park your trailer in. Otherwise, I'd figure out how to use your truck only for a little while to allow you to get yourself started.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Matther777
11-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Try it if you want but be prepared to rent a storage area to park your trailer in. Otherwise, I'd figure out how to use your truck only for a little while to allow you to get yourself started.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Well I am prepared for this what I am wondering is how do I obtain a storage area I just don't know where to start.

bruces
11-07-2012, 07:02 PM
not sure if this helps you but I got my commercial property the old fashioned way ,....I used cash and bought it .In the past I have rented as well ,that also involved cash .

Matther777
11-07-2012, 08:54 PM
not sure if this helps you but I got my commercial property the old fashioned way ,....I used cash and bought it .In the past I have rented as well ,that also involved cash .

May I ask how much it was? You don't have to say if you don't feel comfortable.

bruces
11-07-2012, 11:20 PM
I bought a 40,000 sqft school that had been converted into a maintenance shop by the school board .It had a drive in ramp to the basement with a fully functional wood working shop in the basement,a dock height loading dock upstairs with a complete small engine repair shop ,a pretty good size warehouse,and in the back was a seperate metal building 20 x 140 foot long with 7 garage doors .The grounds are 8 acres gravel with a large rocky area of another two acres thats useless withought blasting .The entire property was fenced and gated for security .I bought it at an auction for $100,000.00 ,but have since sold the school building for $225,000.00 along with the front parking area of an acre and a half .I had a developer want the rest of the property for a small subdivision ,so I sold it for another $200,000.00 .I owned the property for about 5 years,so I did very well .I have not replaced it yet ,but intend to but the location will be a little out of town so the taxes will be less ,and noise complaints will be non exhistant.

Matther777
11-08-2012, 12:03 AM
Okay well that sounds like a great set up you had! Since I am just starting I will see where this goes but I have my eyes open.

willshome
11-08-2012, 03:12 AM
what about talking to a business about renting a parking spot or two for now. A lot of business have more parking then they need

Steve
11-08-2012, 11:44 AM
how do I obtain a storage area I just don't know where to start.

Are there storage rental spots in your area? If you see some local, drive up and see what it would cost for a spot you could back your trailer into and lock it up each day.

Matther777
11-08-2012, 05:16 PM
Yea I think I will do that. I have some places in mind, when I have time I will see what we can figure out.

Steve
11-09-2012, 02:07 PM
Let us know how it all turns out and what you decide to go with.