PDA

View Full Version : Hurricaine Sandy

SECTLANDSCAPING
10-27-2012, 12:59 PM
I dont follow the weather much because of the hype. Like usual this storm is the talk around the northeast. I wouldnt mind but would welcome 75-100 mph winds and the clean ups that follow it but there saying some places could get 2 ft of snow.

This time of year very few are prepared for snow. Especially that much. I only have 1 plow truck ready to go right now. i'm hoping to get a second ready before the storm but its not likely. The only good news is a lot of the bids that I put out didnt come back yet. So Ill only be responsible for 2 apartment complexes and a few tiny lots.

dpld
10-27-2012, 01:31 PM
I dont follow the weather much because of the hype. Like usual this storm is the talk around the northeast. I wouldnt mind but would welcome 75-100 mph winds and the clean ups that follow it but there saying some places could get 2 ft of snow.

This time of year very few are prepared for snow. Especially that much. I only have 1 plow truck ready to go right now. i'm hoping to get a second ready before the storm but its not likely. The only good news is a lot of the bids that I put out didnt come back yet. So Ill only be responsible for 2 apartment complexes and a few tiny lots.

usually i would agree with you on the hype but in this particular case it is far from it.
i don't know much about the snow part and i highly doubt nj where i live will have to deal with that part of the storm but last year when irene came through my house which never floods got completely swamped as well as we were without power for a week and this storm will make irene look like a sun shower when it is said and done with.

i myself have taken the precautionary measures with a 15,000 gal per hour gas powered pump and i will picking up a generator a little later on and will have plenty of fuel and food as well as many bags of ice for the coolers if the generator fails to keep the perishables protected.

as the old saying goes " it is better to be over prepared then under prepared ".

SECTLANDSCAPING
10-27-2012, 02:06 PM
usually i would agree with you on the hype but in this particular case it is far from it.
i don't know much about the snow part and i highly doubt nj where i live will have to deal with that part of the storm but last year when irene came through my house which never floods got completely swamped as well as we were without power for a week and this storm will make irene look like a sun shower when it is said and done with.

i myself have taken the precautionary measures with a 15,000 gal per hour gas powered pump and i will picking up a generator a little later on and will have plenty of fuel and food as well as many bags of ice for the coolers if the generator fails to keep the perishables protected.

as the old saying goes " it is better to be over prepared then under prepared ".
Dont get me wrong all it takes is rain and wind to cause problems with flooding and loss of power. Neither Im really worried about.The rest is where the sensationalism is.

I didnt lose power in Irene and was swamped with work related to it. Several towns around me did lose power for up to a week. The last storm that was supposed to be didnt do anything.

I believe the snow prediction was pa, ny, and nj. They really dont know if it will happen like this. Its all speculation.

Hedgemaster
10-27-2012, 02:58 PM
I didn't go out today since I was expecting rain. Well it didn't rain (until just now), so I ran to the hardware store, picked up some roofing caulk, and spent the time checking my roof and caulking any cracks.

I don't think we have much to be concerned with here in Pittsburgh, but OMG, the people are freaking out because the word "snow" was mentioned.

God help me, I need to go back out to make a bank deposit and hit the grocery store because I'm out of milk. The parking lots were full earlier and now that it has started to rain, everyone will be out "stocking up" for the non-event that is headed our way.

The forecast isn't very promising for getting any work done in the next several days/week. "High winds and rain" is not ideal for leaf cleanups. :mad:

Not to mention the massive pile of leaves I blew to the curb for a client yesterday. They will be blown everywhere before the city comes to suck them up.

I'll try not to complain too much though, as at least I don't have to worry like many near the cost do.

usmc3391
10-27-2012, 03:04 PM
ive been getting the house ready too but every year they hype up at least 1 storm and get everyone going crazy...im preparing for the worst but I always have doubts as to how bad it will be. We had a bad storm in the summer and didnt have power for almost 2 weeks but see how this plays out.

I have food, water, fire wood for the stove, so we should be good to go. Stores are packed though both home depot and lowes there were lines of people waiting for the truck of generators to come in.

dpld
10-27-2012, 04:37 PM
ive been getting the house ready too but every year they hype up at least 1 storm and get everyone going crazy...im preparing for the worst but I always have doubts as to how bad it will be. We had a bad storm in the summer and didnt have power for almost 2 weeks but see how this plays out.

I have food, water, fire wood for the stove, so we should be good to go. Stores are packed though both home depot and lowes there were lines of people waiting for the truck of generators to come in.

my aunt lives in cape may and right now noaa has that as the part of nj that will get close to 10 inches of rain plus the wind and the storm surge.

in this particular case i think it is beyond hype and closer to fact that we all are gonna get slammed.
i highly doubt we are gonna see a full blown hurricane like they do in the south and the southern islands but then again in new jersey all we need is a lot of rain and that will pretty much F us in the A.

i live in northern nj and with all the hills and valleys huge amounts of rainfall spell doom in these parts.

the biggest issue with this hurricane vs others is we have a storm out at see that is gonna block this hurricane from turning out to sea like they usually do and with the cold front coming down from the north it will basicly suck it inland.

the last time we had this scenario was in 90 or 91 when we had that " perfect storm " where three weather fronts converged on the northeast.
it does not happen too often and most of the time we get lucky but we are due to have a big one and the timing is perfect to screw things up again at the same exact time as last year.

i hope this time next week we can all be joking about the storm that never materialized but for now it is better to be safe then sorry because once the crap hits the fan it will be too late to get ready.

right now my order of priorities are protect my family and home and then when that part is accomplished my second priority will be to hopefully make some cash as a result of cleaning up the mess.

good luck down there to you as well as anyone else in the storms path.

hansenslawncare
10-27-2012, 05:17 PM
You guys stay stage out there. If you guys need any supplies/help after the storm let us know. Don't feel like you can't reach out to me/anybody on gopher because we've never met. You guys would do the same for us...

Again stay safe!

LawnBoy0311
10-27-2012, 07:38 PM
I completed my checklist today for the storm. Beer, guns in working order, and food. I even did it in that order!

Stay safe everyone...looks like the power will be going out for a few days.

patrick6411
10-28-2012, 04:51 AM
Us in the South wish you luck!! Make sure to have all of your supplies stocked up. Get double the amount of water you think you will need.

usmc3391
10-28-2012, 09:10 AM
my aunt lives in cape may and right now noaa has that as the part of nj that will get close to 10 inches of rain plus the wind and the storm surge.

good luck down there to you as well as anyone else in the storms path.

I just got back from cape may this morning...it is a ghost town only people I saw on the road were law enforcement and people pulling their boats out. Good luck to you too and everyone getting hit.

haha 0311 I have plenty of beer too..need to stay hydrated! and have my rifle ready too just in case

The Cleaning Doctor
10-28-2012, 11:24 AM
hedge you will probably have an easier time finding a cow than a gallon of milk.

Now for water, fill all your sinks, tubs and washing machines with water. Just in case you need to flush:eek:

Hedgemaster
10-28-2012, 12:43 PM
hedge you will probably have an easier time finding a cow than a gallon of milk.

Now for water, fill all your sinks, tubs and washing machines with water. Just in case you need to flush:eek:

I'm inland, so I've never dealt with a full blown hurricane, but do you folks often lose water and sewer?

When we lose electricity during a storm we lose heat/air conditioning, but that's it. Gas is there for the stove and hot water heater and I've never experienced loss of water.

I have 4 gallons of milk and about 6 lbs. of Captain Crunch.

And a spoon.

Bring it.
:cool:

The Cleaning Doctor
10-28-2012, 02:04 PM
I tend to forget that you all live in cities. Out here when the power goes out we lose the well pump, so yeah we lose water.

I find it funny when people freak out about a hurricane. Hell when I was in the Aleutian islands, all the high wind meant was that you could not cast as far. What easterners call a hurricane, we called just another day.

One storm we had gusts to 176, clocked by a boat at the dock and the weather station on top of the mountain clocked the winds at 212. It was a rough night but because the utilities were under ground we did not lose anything but the roof off of one building and a metal warehouse when the garage door caved in.

LawnCareMan280
10-28-2012, 05:19 PM

Hang in there! If it hits in your area you will have a lot of landscaping to do. Keep me in touch!

Travis

Steve
10-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Is it worthwhile at all to send out email to customers about preparations they should be taking and what your company can do to help them after the storm passes through?

Hedgemaster
10-29-2012, 11:43 PM
So far so good.

We've lost power once for an hour when a landslide took out some utility poles. (We listen to a scanner)

We were prepared for a prolonged outage. Yesterday I filled containers with water and filled as much of the vacant space in the freezers as was practical. A filled freezer will remain cold longer than an empty one. If power was out for too long, we could also use that ice in ice chests to keep perishables cold.

Candles and flameless candles are all over. Flashlights were prepped in advance with fresh batteries. Propane was on hand for the propane heater (rated for indoor use) because although we have gas heat, no electricity means no blower = no heat.
Plastic sheeting and tape ready to hang in the entry ways to the living room to keep heat contained.

Sounds like it's slowing a bit. Hopefully I can convince the dog to go do his business - he's not a fan of this type of weather - at all.

Aside from a minor inconvenience, we had a little water seep into the basement. Will assess the outside and property in the morning.

Hope everyone fares as well.

bruces
10-30-2012, 12:18 AM
I just walked my dog ,fill your pockets with concrete boys,or just stay home ,its really windy out there .

SECTLANDSCAPING
10-30-2012, 12:21 AM
Hedge it was pretty weak here. I'm a 1/2 mile from a major river and 1/2 mile from the ocean. Had some gust and a little bit of rain but it wasnt much at all. I dont even think Ill land a job out of this. The governor is acting crazy saying this is like katrina and enacting curfews.

CHEESE2009
10-30-2012, 12:36 AM
Just sounds awfully windy outside.

During the winter we had our 100kph winds, supposed to be like that today but I never went outside to check. Did laundry all god damn day.

Anyway, Manhattan has it the worst... They all gone and got dead ya hear?! They got dem dam bildins fallen down, drownin' under 10 fert a wata.

Hedgemaster
10-30-2012, 09:54 AM
I'm watching the Weather Channel and I have to say that Stephanie is decidedly less "curvy" with all that rain gear on.

:(

SECTLANDSCAPING
10-30-2012, 10:42 AM
I woke up late today because the forecast said rain till friday. Its so nice out. I got to go cut some lawns. Never listen to the weather man.

Steve
10-30-2012, 11:34 AM
LOL Had to play this again.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wzb_CDJ6U-s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dpld
11-01-2012, 07:49 PM
I woke up late today because the forecast said rain till friday. Its so nice out. I got to go cut some lawns. Never listen to the weather man.

Speak for youself we got all phucked up here no one has power and trees and sheet are all over the place and necause of that there is no gas anywhere and when you do find a station tbere is a line of 300you cars.
even cell phones were screwed up and most of tbe shore is in ruins.
thank god i have 10 cans of gas and a generator.
I think the weatberman was absolutely correct and where the storm had a direct hit got lambasted.

Caskey Lawns & Landscapes
11-02-2012, 06:40 AM

The weather forecast was right on the money, They gave us a couple days to prepare as best we could for what was bearing down on us...We didn't get hammerd as bad as those in NJ or NY but we got it pretty bad...The price gougers got me pretty good on a generator but I had to do what was needed to take care of my family...We don't realize just how important some things are until they are taken away ( electricity !! )...It's been several days since the sun actually has shown brightly in the sky but things are improving and getting back to normal around here...Time to cleanup the equipment an put it away for the winter....

My heart goes out to all those who are dealing with the devistation and the cleanup that lays ahead of them...

myblacktruck
11-02-2012, 09:01 AM
We just got are power back, it's been out since Monday around 630. I had the generator chained to the back of the mower, that was in the garage with the door down, and my truck in front of it. They were out stealing them last few days around here scum of the earth!!! I got lucky and happened to show up at store right as they were unloading a truck, grabbed one and out the door I went for 848.00, there was no way I was letting that thing get stolen. We did better then some only one tree came down in our yard and about a foot of water in basement before I got generator going. Hope everyone else gets there power back soon.

wat5150
11-03-2012, 10:03 AM
I never downplay a big storm like this. Even if you didnt get it too bad it is more than likely that someone did. Then someone could read peoples posts like oh this storm wasnt sh!t and it didnt do anything and the person reading the post could have gotten devestated. You never know who will read your posts and how they got affected. Its just smarter to say I didnt get hit rather than sh!tting all over the weather man.