PDA

View Full Version : Social Media

Matther777
10-27-2012, 01:16 AM
Hey everybody I hope this has been a great season! I am getting more and more close to starting my business next season and make it all official. I have been researching and thinking would it be a good move to join social media (Twitter, Facebook) for this type of business? DO any of you have social media accounts?
Thanks everyone- Matt

mark123
10-27-2012, 04:23 AM
It's been a waste of time for me. Zero interest. The people telling you that you must have a social presence are probably selling a book.

A website with high taking google results is the only thing worth spending time on.

mike0507
10-27-2012, 05:25 AM
Yea, I have ben working on my website recently as well. No social media of any kind though. Only problem with the website is I can't get Google to find my site. I've added meta tags in the code but that doesn't seem to help at all. How are some of you getting Google to find your site?

ringahding1
10-27-2012, 06:18 AM
I have to disagree with the previous 2 posters, but yes social media should be apart of EVERY business. Organic traffic is great and so is traffic directed to your WEBSITE...

Most likely make assumptions such as the look of it, no results or simply have no time to keep up.

Well, you neeeeeeeeed to find time. I see the last two posters are up pretty darn early for a Saturday, so that tells me there is no excuse.

All I can say is look at my social media presence...before you judge let's be honest with ourselves....this is a Lawn Care Company.

Have you ever found a group in LinkedIn? And just joined the conversation? Maybe not, but you found GopherHaul Forum relating to you niche and joined the conversation, right? Outlets like LinkedIn have a group for almost every niche out there, along with groups that want to connect with other people from the state you are from(this is a huge deal and has actually brought me business)

What is the purpose of that last paragraph? The more that view your "Post replies", "Threads" or profiles, the more likelihood of viewing your website. Website traffic = More opportunities to move up in the Search Engines. You just need to be a part of the conversation.

What kind of beer do you like? Okay great, it didn't taste that good over-nite. With all things that are good, it probably took some TIME to make it that way.

jymie
10-27-2012, 09:58 AM
Yea, I have ben working on my website recently as well. No social media of any kind though. Only problem with the website is I can't get Google to find my site. I've added meta tags in the code but that doesn't seem to help at all. How are some of you getting Google to find your site?

If you have submitted your site to the search engines, it can take up to a few months before they will. You want to create back links to your site. To do that, make sure you have your web address in your signature line on this and other forums. There are other things you should do also that more tech savoy guys here can guide you with. Social media is also a good way to help you back link your site. If you have a Facebook business page make sure the link to your site is there as well.

Matther777
10-27-2012, 02:00 PM
I do have a website I have been trying to grow that but like all of you guys it seems hard to get noticed on Google.

mike0507
10-27-2012, 02:57 PM
If you have submitted your site to the search engines, it can take up to a few months before they will. You want to create back links to your site. To do that, make sure you have your web address in your signature line on this and other forums. There are other things you should do also that more tech savoy guys here can guide you with. Social media is also a good way to help you back link your site. If you have a Facebook business page make sure the link to your site is there as well.

Thanks for your help! ringahding1 had messaged me and gave me a few pointers as well (pretty much what you suggested) Definitely going to give it a shot and hope that works!

CHEESE2009
10-27-2012, 03:14 PM
I use Facebook and Twitter, and YOUTUBE!!!

Look how good it makes my site look, everything is fully integrated into my website.

I use YouTube to have information on my web pages.

I use Twitter for providing the clients with updates.

I use Facebook as a portfolio, or ... whatever...

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/i2s1wMpFbmI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Matther777
10-27-2012, 03:50 PM
I do like the idea of making videos as that is my main hobby :D
Watch out Breeze I may have videos coming!

CHEESE2009
10-27-2012, 04:07 PM
I do like the idea of making videos as that is my main hobby :D
Watch out Breeze I may have videos coming!

AWESOME!!!

I just bought a new camcorder today.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/419wMjFzjzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'm very excited to use it!!!

I might get a second one, if I win it on Ebay. I got mine today at Best Buy because I'm very impatient lol...

One day we'll come up with something that we can collaborate on. Would be cool!

Matther777
10-28-2012, 12:14 AM
AWESOME!!!

I just bought a new camcorder today.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/419wMjFzjzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'm very excited to use it!!!

I might get a second one, if I win it on Ebay. I got mine today at Best Buy because I'm very impatient lol...

One day we'll come up with something that we can collaborate on. Would be cool!

Yea that would be sweet! Right now all I am using is a GoPro Hero 2 and a Samsung camcorder. but, I did just purchase a steadicam for my GoPro!!

CHEESE2009
10-28-2012, 10:27 AM
Yea that would be sweet! Right now all I am using is a GoPro Hero 2 and a Samsung camcorder. but, I did just purchase a steadicam for my GoPro!!

I bought the early model GoPro because the bastards told me it was the one displaying the video on the t.v at best buy the other year... They lied.

ALSO, the camcorder I bought was the only one left, and it was the demo model. I received 10% off...

ANYWAY, I go home, after fiddling around with it, I find all this random footage from some Asian family at their home, meaning this camera was previously owned.

Best Buy, is a bad guy.

The Camcorder is still friggen awesome though!

-

Back to the GoPro, the thing I hate about it is not being able to see what you're filming lol... It's always a gamble. It's also one of those cameras you need to look at the manual for every time you use, because there is only two buttons to control everything! :(

Matther777
10-28-2012, 04:47 PM
Back to the GoPro, the thing I hate about it is not being able to see what you're filming lol... It's always a gamble. It's also one of those cameras you need to look at the manual for every time you use, because there is only two buttons to control everything! :([/QUOTE]

I actually found out if you get the LCD backpack you can see what you are doing. The Hero 3 just came out though and it is AWESOME
http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero3-black-edition/

CHEESE2009
10-28-2012, 06:09 PM
http://www.gopherforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5666&stc=1&d=1351462967

You should strap yours on your head or mower and stuff lol...

willshome
10-28-2012, 09:44 PM
nly problem with the website is I can't get Google to find my site. I've added meta tags in the code but that doesn't seem to help at all. How are some of you getting Google to find your site?

I use SocailMonkee (http://www.socialmonkee.com/index.php) it works fast, easy, and FREE

mike0507
10-29-2012, 02:51 AM
Went to the website and it was asking for a payment? How did you get it for free?

willshome
10-29-2012, 09:18 AM
O sorry they are now charging new people a one time fee of $7 to cover costs. I think it is well worth it. If you google willslawns.com 1/3 of what you get I made using the monkee (http://www.socialmonkee.com/index.php)
But if free is what you want post photos on photobucket, flickr.... and tagging and naming the photos and videos

mike0507
10-29-2012, 10:34 AM
O sorry they are now charging new people a one time fee of $7 to cover costs. I think it is well worth it. If you google willslawns.com 1/3 of what you get I made using the monkee (http://www.socialmonkee.com/index.php)
But if free is what you want post photos on photobucket, flickr.... and tagging and naming the photos and videos

Does sound like it's well worth it. I think I'm going to give it a shot! And thanks for the link too!

Steve
10-29-2012, 12:02 PM
Some new business owners are tech savvy and they can jump into web site creation and all the social media sites to really build a lot of backlinks to their sites.

Others seem to not be as interested in that and focus on social interactions within their service area.

It would be great if you could do both, but if you can't, why not focus on one and continue to work on it to get the word out about your business? Don't get overwhelmed by it, just take small steps as consistently as possible to create a bigger presence.

mark123
10-29-2012, 01:31 PM
I wasn't trying to say that social media is completely useless to everyone. To me it is though because I get excellent results from my web site with much less effort. It just seems that there is no real point to spend time on something that gives little or no results that takes constant work when you can spend much less time building what does give results.

My post above should say "high ranking google results". Stupid autocorrect.

Steve
10-30-2012, 11:51 AM
there is no real point to spend time on something that gives little or no results that takes constant work when you can spend much less time building what does give results.

The other thing I wonder about this too is how often does Google change around their search algorithms where what was working to get your site listed high one week, no longer works the next?

Remember we had that one member talking about the seo stuff he did and then he came back and said he got totally delisted from google altogether?