PDA

View Full Version : Seeding

usmc3391
10-17-2012, 05:24 PM
I have a customer who contacted me about aerating and seeding the lawn. What would be the best type of seed to use and I hope its not too late to seed with the first frost being around the corner. I will get a mix since i live in new jersey but what does everyone recommend? Scott's, pennington, or will a bag of tall fescue do from tractor supply. I have been reading a lot about scotts and people are saying that they only saw a 25% germination rate so either it sucks or they dont know what they are doing. My plan is to aerate, seed, and apply top soil to the spots that need it. The area is about 13,500 sq ft. So its a decent size.

Grass Doctor
10-17-2012, 05:41 PM
I have a customer who contacted me about aerating and seeding the lawn. What would be the best type of seed to use and I hope its not too late to seed with the first frost being around the corner. I will get a mix since i live in new jersey but what does everyone recommend? Scott's, pennington, or will a bag of tall fescue do from tractor supply. I have been reading a lot about scotts and people are saying that they only saw a 25% germination rate so either it sucks or they dont know what they are doing. My plan is to aerate, seed, and apply top soil to the spots that need it. The area is about 13,500 sq ft. So its a decent size.

Pennington seed its the best i use it every time great results what ever the seed you are going to use up there i say ray grass or blue grass. dont know to much a bout grasses north grasses some times home owners buy grass and re-seed their lawn and then they think that the grass is going to germinate by its self :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D stupids it needs water plenty off it, grass seed need the perfect temperature 60 to 85 degrees and need to be moist 100% to germinate other wise it just die.:eek:

LawnBoy0311
10-17-2012, 05:54 PM
I use pennington. Thats the only brand I've had great results with. I use fescue and I'm down here in MD.

I used Scotts before, but wasn't too impressed with it. Expensive stuff too!

usmc3391
10-17-2012, 06:16 PM
sounds good looks like im going with pennington

also whats the general rule of thumb for seeding? I read 4-5lbs per 1000 sq ft

LawnBoy0311
10-17-2012, 07:29 PM
I've always looked at the lawn to determine the amount of seed. Some lawns need a lot more seed than others.

turf&tree
11-17-2012, 08:19 PM
If your looking at frost in the next 3 weeks your wasting your time! Rye, the quickest of all seeds needs at least a week in optimal weather to germinate. You don't have that right now. It will take 3-4 weeks to be mowable under ideal conditions and if you don't mow it a couple times before frost it will surely die.
Wait till spring!!!!!