PDA

View Full Version : Up and Coming Business...!!!

Enjoi829
10-17-2012, 08:43 AM
Hello All, just wanted to introduce myself Matt, new to this forum and to this sort of business venture. Quick rundown of myself i currently work lots of hours for a construction employer an hour away from my home, which is one reason im trying to get away from that. My only problem is that i make a decent salary where i am now and plan to quit come spring time once i get everything together and formally start my business. Really enjoy reading everything on this site and everyones trial and errors and things. Currently im working on all my marketing materials, and getting equipment available and ready for spring fire up! Any suggestions, tips, tricks, or any advice on this please feel free to let me know! Thanks Guys

My Equipment plan is buying 2 commercial trimmers, hedge trimmers, blower, a push mower (Just In Case), an edger, and a commercial ZTR thinking about 48"-55" not sure exactly just yet. I already have a couple riding mowers and stuff i currently use at the house also (Just In Case). Im sure im forgetting something!

My marketing plan will include a company logo attached to all my material which will include a full working website, flyers that will be distributed weekly, ability to accept all major credit cards as well as any other form of traditional payment.

This may sound ignorant but does anyone have a feel for when i should license and insure my business as i will not be going into this untill spring time to be technically "Open For Business" Thanks again for any thoughts or advice!!

Steve
10-17-2012, 07:32 PM
Are you saving up cash now to help you when you get your business started?

Do you have a plan for the transition from full time employee to entrepreneur?

This may sound ignorant but does anyone have a feel for when i should license and insure my business as i will not be going into this untill spring time to be technically "Open For Business" Thanks again for any thoughts or advice!!

You can get your business registered now. Then if you aren't going to be doing anything until spring you could wait till then to get any local or state licenses and insurance.

Enjoi829
10-18-2012, 12:04 PM
Are you saving up cash now to help you when you get your business started?

Do you have a plan for the transition from full time employee to entrepreneur?

You can get your business registered now. Then if you aren't going to be doing anything until spring you could wait till then to get any local or state licenses and insurance.

I Sure do have a plan Steve, i do plan on fully not working for an employer while getting started, just moving my job very close to home and just making a little less money than i am currently, while building my business hopefully to grow and make it a full time business.

Also, Yes i am currently saving as much as i can to purchase all my equipment with cash therefore im in no loss in my eyes other than nice lawn equipt for my yard! i only plan to spend around 3k-5k and use some funds now to start with marketing materials, licensing, insurance, and everything else. Any suggestions for me based on what you have read?

Is a "DBA" a license, or just the right to use a alternate name other than your true name, also whats your thoughts on LLC, do you believe LLC could be for me? My goal is to eventually grow as fast as possible to where i have 10 lawns a day for at least 5 days a week. Now Thats a stretch but i can make it happen, plus my wife manages HUD and Fannie Mae properties so i can probably squeeze some lawns from there as well to get started.

Steve
10-19-2012, 10:31 AM
Is a "DBA" a license, or just the right to use a alternate name other than your true name

It is that you registered with your county 'Doing Business As' a certain trade name.

also whats your thoughts on LLC, do you believe LLC could be for me?

LLC and scorp tends to be better for those that have more personal assets they want to protect and separate from their business entity.

My goal is to eventually grow as fast as possible to where i have 10 lawns a day for at least 5 days a week. Now Thats a stretch but i can make it happen, plus my wife manages HUD and Fannie Mae properties so i can probably squeeze some lawns from there as well to get started.

Great! Keep us posted as you go!

Enjoi829
10-23-2012, 01:21 PM
It is that you registered with your county 'Doing Business As' a certain trade name.
OK, I know this probably sounds stupid but what does it take to get a "Business License" i see all kinds of businesses say "Licensed and Insured" what could this "License" be refering to and where can i apply for one?

Steve
10-24-2012, 02:19 PM
Certain states and even municipalities require you to be licensed to perform certain services.

For instance if you are going to spread fertilizer or any kinds of chemicals, you need a license for that. In some areas you need a contractors license to be performing any kind of work on a home.

Your best bet is to check your state and local government's websites to see if they require you to be licensed. There are many areas that won't require a license to simply mow lawns.

Keep us posted on what you find.