PDA

View Full Version : window washing?

FourSeasons
01-02-2008, 10:42 PM
I went to a business today and there was a guy washing the windows out in front of it. I know this is not uncommon to see; but what do you think about adding this as a possible service to go along with your business.

Do you have to have any special skills or knowledge besides the basics?
Any specialized equipment? It didn't look like it as I was watching him.

I think this could be something to help thru the winter and even to do all year.

Also what if you went to a small local business that people use alot and ask them if we had a sign made to put on our trailer if they would pay us to advertise for them. Like a pizza place or something. We drive around alot and people would see it on the back of your trailer.
You could have a trial period to show the owner that it would work by having something like -mention this ad for a free soda or something.

What do you guys think of these two ideas.

makbootzy
01-02-2008, 10:46 PM
I would take a few pizzas a month to advertise.

realhuntin
01-02-2008, 10:46 PM
Not bad evry little added expense and could be profitable

pmblair
01-03-2008, 12:46 AM
The window washing idea would be really good if you got a maintenance contract on an antire shopping plaza or something... like Rodman did... then, you could do the lawn maintenance, the trash (like Rodman does), and the windows... and if you own a pressure washer, why not offer them that too... I could see that being a very lucrative money making area.... just one shopping plaza.... heck, you could hire an entire crew JUST for that area... or maybe that one and one more....

As far as the cross-advertising goes, you could also make 1/4 page coupon flyers, take them to the pizza place and tell them that you'll advertise on your trailer or whatever if they'll put your flyers on their pizza boxes... If you did something like this, would you have THEM get the signs made, or would you get them made for them?

FourSeasons
01-03-2008, 01:00 AM
Quote[/b] ]The window washing idea would be really good if you got a maintenance contract on an antire shopping plaza or something... like Rodman did... then, you could do the lawn maintenance, the trash (like Rodman does), and the windows... and if you own a pressure washer, why not offer them that too... I could see that being a very lucrative money making area.... just one shopping plaza.... heck, you could hire an entire crew JUST for that area... or maybe that one and one more....

As far as the cross-advertising goes, you could also make 1/4 page coupon flyers, take them to the pizza place and tell them that you'll advertise on your trailer or whatever if they'll put your flyers on their pizza boxes... If you did something like this, would you have THEM get the signs made, or would you get them made for them?

I was thinking having the signs made myself. i'd have to have a portfolio or something of signs to show them so they would see what they would be getting. And it would be with a short term contract. I'd would rather have them pay me to do it instead of kind of trading. In that case they would have the signs made i think. These signs are cheaper than i thought to make. I was pricing some today for my trailer for me.

The window washing I would start out small and just go business to business. No tall big buildings. only single level. I just thought of this stuff today.
I'm gong to think about both of these some more.I just wanted to get some feed back. Thanks Patrick.

pmblair
01-03-2008, 08:54 AM
If you're going to do the sign thing, and you want to have them made yourself, you should talk to Tony at AMW Graphics (AMW's Website (http://www.amw-graphics.com/)). They've got great prices and do AWESOME work! I'll bet you could even get him to email you some of his work to put into a "portfolio book" of sorts so that when you show the customers something, you've got pictures of actual signs from the company you'd be using (if you use AMW, that is).

I would only do 1 story buildings on the windows, too... 1- It's quicker than doing bigger buildings, 2- it's safer than doing bigger buildings, 3- you don't have to worry about specialty equipment. ..........how much would you charge to do something like this?

FourSeasons
01-03-2008, 09:09 AM
Quote[/b] ]If you're going to do the sign thing, and you want to have them made yourself, you should talk to Tony at AMW Graphics (AMW's Website). They've got great prices and do AWESOME work! I'll bet you could even get him to email you some of his work to put into a "portfolio book" of sorts so that when you show the customers something, you've got pictures of actual signs from the company you'd be using (if you use AMW, that is).

I would only do 1 story buildings on the windows, too... 1- It's quicker than doing bigger buildings, 2- it's safer than doing bigger buildings, 3- you don't have to worry about specialty equipment. ..........how much would you charge to do something like this?

Great idea on the signs. Thats perfect.

I was thinking only one story buildings two. The guy I saw yesterday didn't have any ladders either.
For charging I would have to just figure it out just like I did on lawns. Probably somewhere close to $60/hour, Of course not charging by the hour. Just to base my price off of.
I have some friends that own a salon. I could call around and get quotes from some window cleaners on their suite.

I'm going out to breakfast to talk about this with one my friends this morning to get his input.

pmblair
01-03-2008, 09:12 AM
Great idea about finding a quote!! Please let us know how all of this turns out!

pnplawn
01-03-2008, 09:16 AM
Quote[/b] (pmblair @ Jan. 03 2008,1:46)]The window washing idea would be really good if you got a maintenance contract on an antire shopping plaza or something... like Rodman did... then, you could do the lawn maintenance, the trash (like Rodman does), and the windows... and if you own a pressure washer, why not offer them that too... I could see that being a very lucrative money making area.... just one shopping plaza.... heck, you could hire an entire crew JUST for that area... or maybe that one and one more....

I got call from sams whole club this morning I got the contract for that plaza as well. I start it in feb. Its the plaza right beside the one im doing now.

FourSeasons
01-03-2008, 09:20 AM
Nice Job Rodman. Side by side, thats perfect.
Do you do the windows?

pnplawn
01-03-2008, 09:24 AM
Quote[/b] (FourSeasons @ Jan. 03 2008,10:20)]Nice Job Rodman. Side by side, thats perfect.
Do you do the windows?
You know I could try to offer that. BUT with the work I have now will keep me busy. I wonder what to charge for some thing like that. Il have to check and see what kinda prices`s for the going rate is and see if its worth doing. Cause the whole plaza has window front.

FourSeasons
01-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Let us know what you find out.
I just looked on craigslist for window washers and there is 2 guys advertising for it in my county. If I look up lawncare/landscaping there is at least 10 now and during summer at least 20.
Is this a overlooked service maybe that could be offered. Windows need to be cleaned year round.

Steve
01-04-2008, 05:34 PM
While we are on the topic of window cleaning, has anyone ever thought of doing window painting?

Check out this ad I saw on craigslist

"Tempera is Temporary! This water-based paint is completely harmless to windows and frames and is easily removed with soap and water. Approx $7.00 per sq foot. Say anything you like with lettering."

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/crs/496494044.html