PDA

View Full Version : donating to organizations

veteranslawncaresystems
10-13-2012, 09:48 PM
Do you guys donate to any organizations. I take 5 percent from every job I do and put it in the bank. And then st the end of the year I split the money in half and donate part to wounded warriors project and the other half to disable bets of America.

LawnBoy0311
10-13-2012, 10:08 PM
I donate to Wounded Warrior Project too. Being a purple heart recipient and having friends that are 100% disabled ir KIA, I donate when I can.

veteranslawncaresystems
10-13-2012, 10:13 PM
Wwp was there for me and my family when I got hurt in Iraq. I have had other friends who have been hurt and killed. I am a disable vet myself. I miss the military and me donating to these charities helps me feel like I'm still doing my duty. A lot of my customer I have got signed up with me because I donate.

Steve
10-15-2012, 01:12 PM
I wonder with situations like this, what would work better, donating time locally to help fellow veterans or donating money?

LawnBoy0311
10-15-2012, 04:14 PM
I wonder with situations like this, what would work better, donating time locally to help fellow veterans or donating money?

It would really all depend on the veteran. I have one friend who does everything himself and does not like help, while another wants the help. For where I live, theres quite a few of them. I donate because its the best way to help as many as I can.

veteranslawncaresystems
10-15-2012, 07:18 PM
Steve I do both. I donate my time to other veterans and.their families and donate money. I get email and.phone call about twice a week from veterans that just got out and seeing if I need help with any work.

Steve
10-16-2012, 05:32 PM
The reason I bring this up is to see which way gives you the most bang for your buck.

Every non-profit organization uses a certain % of the funds they receive from donations to manage the organization. Some use a higher percentage than others. So if you donate $100, it is possible only $80 of it is used say as an example for property care. Then out of that $80 a certain % of profit will be taken out by the company performing the job. So that $80 might get the Veteran 2 hours of help.

When you have a specialized skill that is needed by a veteran, and you can perform a needed service, it maximizes the final outcome for their gain. So if you donate $80 in time, that might be 3 to 4 hours of labor to help them, since you are not looking to get a profit out of the job.

So potentially, your donated time could be double what they could get compared to when you donate money.

Does that make sense?

veteranslawncaresystems
10-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Yes it makes sense but no matter what way I go I'm donating to something that means the world to me

Hedgemaster
11-14-2012, 04:52 PM
It as come to my attention (and a gazillion other gun owners) that Wounded Warrior Project is "anti-gun".

This saddens me and disgusts me at the same time, since they have accepted a sh!t-ton of money from firearm manufacturers and the like, before this info became widely known.

I'll find another, more worthy cause. (suggestions welcome)