PDA

View Full Version : When should the season be done for a student?

Rdelahunr
10-13-2012, 09:54 AM
I'm starting my business next summer and was wondering when I should end the season. I am thinking that when too many leaves fall for me to mow normally I should send a letter explaining that I'm done for the season. When I go off to college my younger brother will take over the route (at the end of next summer I will be a senior in high school so he won't take care of the fall until summer after next). I don't want to get into fall clean ups because I can only do them for one year, and when I''m gone my brother probably won't want to do them either. Does this mean I should refer them to someone also? Do you think that's a good time to end it?

stevef1201
10-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Well I quess that the season "ends" here at the end of this month. However; I will still mow for the next 4 months, and pick up leaves, and trim hedges, and power wash, then in March I get to start up again. Hello from West Central Florida, where it truly is paradise

Cashin H&P
10-13-2012, 10:11 PM
Here in NH the growing season pretty much ended last night. Im doing clean ups and tree work untill in snows then I plow. I am also a student, but im part time and am going to school for landscaping so my pprofessors are cool about us missing a few classes because of work.

If I was a customer and you were doing my lawn I would ask for a fall clean up. If you could not provide me one I would call another company that does, that company would then ask about lawn care and will most likely get the lawn care for that property because they can do every thing. I know I have done the same thing in the past. I give you props for doing the LCO thing and being a student you mught want to find another local guy and refer him you clean ups like you said just make sure you trust him so he doesnt take your lawns.

Steve
10-15-2012, 12:39 PM
and when I''m gone my brother probably won't want to do them either.

Why not just keep mowing the lawns as the leaves fall and that will keep the yard cleaned up? That would extend your season.

Sprinkler Buddy
10-15-2012, 09:58 PM
Why not just keep mowing the lawns as the leaves fall and that will keep the yard cleaned up? That would extend your season.

I think we only do that in FL, Once the grass goes dormant in the northern states they are done mowing. Our season tends to go through the falling of the leaves. We also don't have the snow plowing, etc... to get ready for.

Von Bobbeh
10-16-2012, 04:18 PM
I'm with Steve on this one! The grass in my area has grown a very negligible amount in past weeks and the season is so close to over I'm working on my resume!!

About %50 of my costumers have dropped service till the spring, the rest I will keep mowing until they also refuse service.

The grass isn't growing but I mulch the leaves into the lawn, edge and blow off walkways. just because the grass isn't growing doesn't mean people don't need regular maintenance. All my clients properties look X1000 better when I'm done.

Now is also a VERY good time to sell herbicide treatment, the weeds won't pop up anymore and the property will look good all winter, PLUS you can't reasonably spray much later in the year than now, so the fear factor may get many more customers to bite the hook (herbicide is CHEAP and you can make MASS PROFIT) plus you'll have a neat weed-free property in the spring cutting your time on the trimmer. :rolleyes:

So barring the cold & rain this is some of the easiest money you can make! :cool::cool:

Steve
10-16-2012, 07:04 PM
About %50 of my costumers have dropped service till the spring, the rest I will keep mowing until they also refuse service.

Are you planning to get them onto some kind of annual lawn care agreement so you can keep their yards looking good all year long?