PDA

View Full Version : HOA's

mike0507
10-12-2012, 08:04 AM
I know there are a few people here from Florida, but this can apply to all. Anyone know of a website where local HOA's have a listing of when they are going to be hiring or looking to hire a new company for lawn and property maintenance? I know most of them require bids, but wasn't sure if this was public knowledge? :confused:

Steve
10-12-2012, 11:09 AM
I would think each of them probably does their own thing. Sure there might be a clearing house site that helps them get bids, but I don't know of one.

You can probably do a little research and find the different hoa's in your area. then find the contact person and see when they are putting their property up for bid.

Sprinkler Buddy
10-12-2012, 08:52 PM
Ill never tell:D

That's not Nice! lol

Sprinkler Buddy
10-12-2012, 09:04 PM
Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Keep in mind, even if you get it, it will quickly be up again when the contract is up. No guarantees, if you'll get it the following bid.

mike0507
10-13-2012, 12:33 AM
Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Keep in mind, even if you get it, it will quickly be up again when the contract is up. No guarantees, if you'll get it the following bid.

Yea, very true. I guess it's almost like any account though. You never know when they are going to let you go and move on to the next guy.. But I will talk to the gate guards and look on the web and just see what I can find.

dpld
10-13-2012, 08:17 AM
the only way to get a inside track on commercial accounts these days is to join the organizations they belong to and attend the monthly meetings religiously and get to know these people first and then they will start to work with you.

keep in mind that it can take several months for some of these relationships to materialize and membership to these groups can cost a couple thousand dollars a year.
bidding commercial work is not putting your eggs into one basket and the key is not to rest on your laurels and stop hunting for work as well as if you do a great job that will weigh heavily on their decision making because anyone can talk the talk but it all boils down to these people if you can walk the walk.

some organizations you can look into are listed below and you can go to each respective web site and explore membership costs because they vary greatly from state to state.
but once again they are only as good as your persistence to go to these meetings regularly and build relationships.

some organizations are,

BOMA: building owners managers association

IFMA: international facility managers association ( banks and hospitals )

CAI: community association institute ( HOA's )

ICSC: international council shopping centers

NAIOP: national association industrial office properties

NAA: national apartment association

i am a member of all these groups and it cost me about 7,000 a year to be part of it and the meetings do take up a lot of time but i also gross over a half a million a year and all i do is work for these groups and 7 grand is a drop in the bucket for what they bring in.

mike0507
10-13-2012, 10:35 AM
the only way to get a inside track on commercial accounts these days is to join the organizations they belong to and attend the monthly meetings religiously and get to know these people first and then they will start to work with you.

keep in mind that it can take several months for some of these relationships to materialize and membership to these groups can cost a couple thousand dollars a year.
bidding commercial work is not putting your eggs into one basket and the key is not to rest on your laurels and stop hunting for work as well as if you do a great job that will weigh heavily on their decision making because anyone can talk the talk but it all boils down to these people if you can walk the walk.

some organizations you can look into are listed below and you can go to each respective web site and explore membership costs because they vary greatly from state to state.
but once again they are only as good as your persistence to go to these meetings regularly and build relationships.

some organizations are,

BOMA: building owners managers association

IFMA: international facility managers association ( banks and hospitals )

CAI: community association institute ( HOA's )

ICSC: international council shopping centers

NAIOP: national association industrial office properties

NAA: national apartment association

i am a member of all these groups and it cost me about 7,000 a year to be part of it and the meetings do take up a lot of time but i also gross over a half a million a year and all i do is work for these groups and 7 grand is a drop in the bucket for what they bring in.

Awesome! This was exactly what Information I was looking for! Thanks :)

Steve
10-15-2012, 11:43 AM
i am a member of all these groups and it cost me about 7,000 a year to be part of it and the meetings do take up a lot of time

For the start up lawn care business interested in joining such organizations, how can they utilize them and benefit from them? Would they get a list of other members so they could market to the members in their area? Or what's your suggestions on how to best utilize being a member of such groups?

dpld
10-15-2012, 12:11 PM
For the start up lawn care business interested in joining such organizations, how can they utilize them and benefit from them? Would they get a list of other members so they could market to the members in their area? Or what's your suggestions on how to best utilize being a member of such groups?

you are gonna need to be somewhat established first because you are dealing with management companies and institutions that are accustomed to dealing with companies up and running that have the equipment and man power to take on what they need.

you really are not gonna get a mailing list or list of names but you will get access to other members.
plus the whole point is to build relationships with these people and it takes time and just because you pay the fee and become a member it does not automatically mean you will have work rolling your way.

you also need to have all your ducks in a row like equipment, insurance and employees and it is not something that a new guy with 20 lawns a pick up truck and a couple push mowers is gonna have any real chance to get with.

you have to realize with most management co's when they hire someone they are not gonna even remotely take a chance on someone that is starting out because if you fail they fail and someone will most likely lose their job if you fail to deliver.

i would strongly suggest that anyone who cares to move into it that they be very prepared to handle what might come their way and have the muscle to back themselves up and in the beginning just like anything else you need to pay your dues and build relationships first before you even start trying to promote your business.
we have had many guys come and go and most of the members want to see you hang around a while and prove you are truly interested in the organization and contribute to it.

i have seen guys join up and spend a couple thousand dollars to be a member and they show up for a couple meetings and just because people are too receptive of them they stop going to the meetings before it even gets going for them.
it is something you do for the long haul and there is no quick way to by-pass the way they operate and my first 4 months going to meetings no one gave me the time of day and then when they got to know me and seen i was in it for the long haul they started being a little more friendly and it started getting easier and easier.

when you are dealing with work on a large scale it can take 6 months to a year before any leeds you get materialize into anything but if you stick it out and present yourself in a highly professional manner it will pan out for you.
it will also show you without asking anyone what you need to do to attract these types of clients if you just stand back and pay attention.
a lot of the subject matter in these meetings is what they feel is a good going rate for large scale jobs and what they look for in hiring a company and what to avoid.
you will mostly be dealing with the people who hire landscapers and you really will not have anything to do with a fellow tradesman.
most of the members are management co's and you have to approach it as such and the best way to go about it in the beginning is stay silent and observe and only speak when spoken to until you have built up these relationships because after a while you will see who the regulars are and who the ones that take it lightly are.

the easiest and best way to describe it is it is like a boys club and you got to first fit in earn your keep and in the beginning it is best to listen and learn and only speak when spoken to and after a while it will pay off big time.