PDA

View Full Version : John Deere Z925a 54" MOD

dpld
10-10-2012, 07:26 AM
the other day my older exmark ZTR finally threw in the towel after a gazillion hours and i felt that with re-doing the motor and rebuilding the hydro's that it was more practical to buy a new machine.

so i went down to my local repair shop to get some oil & air filters to do some service on the other equipment and the shop is also a John Deere dealer and i noticed that they were running some really sweet deals with 0% financing and i decided to buy a demo with 32 hours on it which i got a fabulous price on.

i was always happy with the exmarks and the walkers i use but at the same time was not hell bent on limiting myself to just them so i decided to give a johnny deere a try.

it is slightly heavier then the exmark but other then that after a couple of days i can truly say that the deere is built like a brick sheet house.

i initially got a price on a new unused 48" machine without the mulch on demand deck but with the dump from the seat bagger system and i thought the price was good but then he offered me the demo unit that had a 54" deck with the mulch on demand system and the dump from the seat bagger system and with the discount it ended up being cheaper then the new 48" unit and had a bigger motor to boot.

the 48" machine had a 22hp motor vs the 54" machine has the 27hp ( both kawasaki's ) and the mulch on demand option i believe is a extra 1,500 bucks.

i usually buy new machines in the late winter early spring where the dealers are chomping at the bit to move some equipment after a long winter and i have all year to make some money with it but this year in the spur of the moment i decided to go against the grain of how i usually did it and i feel it payed off big time.

the machine comes with a 24 month 700 hour warranty from deere and the dealer being a john deere gold star dealer added a extra 1 year and 300 hours to it.
i was like, 3 years and a 1000 hours, wow sign me up.

i just figured i would post this to spread the word for any others out there considering buying a professional ZTR mower to not over look the john deere when shopping around because they are a well built machine with a great warranty at a competitive price and the financing through john deere is in house so to say and is a revolving line of credit so pretty much any time you need any other equipment you can walk into the dealer and just pick up what ever they have and it is not just limited to john deere products.
sheffield credit is OK but every time you buy something from them you got to go through the whole credit process again and with the john deere line of credit as long as you pay your bill on time the door is always open and for the guys starting out on this site it is a valuable tool to have when you land a big job and need more equipment or have a break down and need something fast.

if i get a chance i will post some pics and if anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

thanks for reading, dan.

willshome
10-11-2012, 08:39 AM
so i went down to my local repair shop to get some oil & air filters

I hate when that happens, go to get $100 in parts walk out with a $10k mower

I was just talking to some one about john-D credit. Nice to have an open line.

Steve
10-11-2012, 10:12 AM
Very interesting. Keep us posted on how it is while you are using it. I look forwards to seeing your pics too.

I do wonder if the difference in weight will effect performance.

dpld
10-11-2012, 04:53 PM
I hate when that happens, go to get $100 in parts walk out with a $10k mower

I was just talking to some one about john-D credit. Nice to have an open line.

yeah that is the way my life usually works.

i usually finance things because it gives me a better write off then just buying it outright and when i did i used a company like sheffield but as i said every time i bought something i had to go through the whole process all over again and with the john deere credit it gives you the freedom to use it when ever you see fit.

i just thought i would mention that for all the new guys starting out because it is pretty valuable for the smaller guys to have that option when funds are limited.
plus with sheffield it ties your credit up until the note is paid and with john deere as you pay it down that money becomes available to use in a emergency or a bind.

dpld
10-11-2012, 05:15 PM
Very interesting. Keep us posted on how it is while you are using it. I look forwards to seeing your pics too.

I do wonder if the difference in weight will effect performance.

so far after only a few days i love the machine.
i have a ton of hillsides to do in my route and the weight has not had any effect on it's ability to negotiate the hills and it sticks to them very nicely.

i will say the mulch on demand deck even though i did not particularly care if it had it or not and being a demo i had no choice i am glad i got it.

if the lawn is high it has a tendency to clump up but any time you are mulching the height of the grass will greatly effect that and if the lawn is only getting a inch or two cut it chops it up real well and makes the leaves almost disappear.
the only downfall to the mulch on demand deck is if it is dry you are basicly driving in a dust bowl all day and you will definitely need a dust mask.

the blade speed is phenomenal and blows clippings a good 10 to 15 feet.

the bagger set up has not arrived yet at the dealer so i am a few days away from getting that put on but from what i am told buy a couple other landscapers i know that have the same machine the bagging set up is second to none and pretty much picks up everything and with the leaves coming down already it can not arrive soon enough but i am impressed with the way the mulch on demand chops them up and hides the leaves in the lawn quite nicely.

even though it has only been a few days i can trully say after having 5 walkers and 8 exmarks over the years that those machines have nothing over the deere and considering the finance options and price i would highly recommend the deere over them.

plus all the options i have on the deere are standard equipment where as the exmarks i had to pay for all of them.

the only option you need to pay for is the striper kit, bagger set up, and mulch on demand deck but being a demo it came with the mulch on demand and i essentially did not pay for that as well as the savings i got just about paid for the bagger setup.

i will try to get pics soon, i tried with my phone but when i sent them to my computer they did not come out to well and my kids dropped my new digital camera two weeks ago and as a result it only gives you half a picture.

dam kids, they break everything and i swear they could break a rock.

Steve
10-12-2012, 11:00 AM
I am glad you are enjoying your new purchase!

turfmaster
10-14-2012, 10:47 AM
You'll love that mower. I have the 950A and love it. 7 iron deck is awesome.
One of the most productive machines i've ever owned.

dpld
10-14-2012, 12:58 PM
You'll love that mower. I have the 950A and love it. 7 iron deck is awesome.
One of the most productive machines i've ever owned.

i agree 100% and unless it proves otherwise as it ages and holds up well i think i will be buying more as the other riders i have need to be replaced.

the machine is built rock solid and so far my only regret is not buying one sooner.

jasonw
10-19-2012, 08:41 AM
I have a John Deere, I don't remember the model number but its a lawn tractor with no deck on it, it was given to me and I must say I was amazed at how well it was built, like you said, it's heavier than anything ells I have but the thing can run through a house and not get a scratch. Literally the paint is more beefy than the frame on my Troy Bilt, I still use the TB and still love it but when it comes time to buy a replacement I will for sure look at JD. The only issue I have seen with the Deere is the cost for parts. Just the front end body parts for mine cost as much as my entire Troy Bilt tractor. Take very very good care of it so it wont break the bank to fix later. Mine has the 17HP Kawasaki Single and it to works very very well but took a little learning curve to work on as I was so use to B&S engines.