PDA

View Full Version : sms text message marketing

veteranslawncaresystems
10-06-2012, 09:29 PM
So I was driving today do the highway and o was thinking how can I get my name out there besides referrals and people seeing my sign. I was wondering if there was a program for my android that when I walk into a place my phone automatically sends a text message to everyone around me about my business. So I started doing research and found something call sms marketing and I was wondering if anyone has used this kind of service before. I come up with stupid ideals sometimes that why my old lady says she can tell I am a entrepneour

LawnBoy0311
10-06-2012, 09:32 PM
never used it or heard of it. sounds like it could be kinda cool. did you try it???

TiedemanLLC
10-06-2012, 09:34 PM
So I was driving today do the highway and o was thinking how can I get my name out there besides referrals and people seeing my sign. I was wondering if there was a program for my android that when I walk into a place my phone automatically sends a text message to everyone around me about my business. So I started doing research and found something call sms marketing and I was wondering if anyone has used this kind of service before. I come up with stupid ideals sometimes that why my old lady says she can tell I am a entrepneour

First of all, I think it's a great idea and to really think outside the box. However, (and here is my personal opinion, not business opinion), nothing I hate worse than receiving a text message, phone call or email from someone that I never signed up to receive information from. I think the route you should take is have clients sign up to receive monthly or weekly discounts via SMS text.

LawnBoy0311
10-06-2012, 09:46 PM
They may be annoying...but I always read them. I have no idea why. I guess because I'm so used to getting text messages from friends I always read it. If I got one that said "XXXXXXX Lawn Services is in your area right now!" I'd google it to see who the he!! they were.

TiedemanLLC
10-06-2012, 10:17 PM
They may be annoying...but I always read them. I have no idea why. I guess because I'm so used to getting text messages from friends I always read it. If I got one that said "XXXXXXX Lawn Services is in your area right now!" I'd google it to see who the he!! they were.

I have to admit, I would do the same

CHEESE2009
10-07-2012, 02:35 PM
Make it customized to say,

"Hey hun, it's been awhile. You look really good, you should come check me out at ***website***"

Don't forget to add boobs to the message.

Hedgemaster
10-07-2012, 08:47 PM
I'd be effiing pi$$ed if I got some crap like that.

EDIT: Not what Cheese said - If I saw boobs I'd be happy the rest of the day.

usmc3391
10-07-2012, 09:05 PM
same here i just about lose my mind when i get atext asking me to buy something...but yes cheese boobs would def be nice

Hedgemaster
10-07-2012, 09:48 PM
It just hit me. This would be the electronic version of putting a flyer and a rock in a baggie and tossing it in every driveway.

:mad:

wat5150
10-08-2012, 06:42 AM
It just hit me. This would be the electronic version of putting a flyer and a rock in a baggie and tossing it in every driveway.

:mad:

If you really think about it, its not really too much different from door hangers or someone stuffing something in your mailbox through target marketing. Whats the difference??

mark123
10-08-2012, 07:26 AM
If you really think about it, its not really too much different from door hangers or someone stuffing something in your mailbox through target marketing. Whats the difference??
People have to pay to receive text messages.

wat5150
10-08-2012, 08:02 AM
People have to pay to receive text messages.

You have to pay to have a land line phone as well. That doesnt stop the unsolicited telemarketers.

mark123
10-08-2012, 08:11 AM
You have to pay to have a land line phone as well. That doesnt stop the unsolicited telemarketers.
It doesn't cost extra for phone calls on a land line phone. You cost me money and I'm coming after you. Also, you can hang up on a telemarketer. A text comes through whether you want it or not. Even if you don't read it, it costs the receiver money.

I would imagine that you'd have to have a double opt-in service (a request and then a confirmation) before you'd be able to use something like this for the reasons I mentioned.

Hedgemaster
10-08-2012, 08:13 AM

The things you described are not legal without a permit in many locations.

I understand that it's a form of marketing - it's just a form that I (and many others) find offensive.
Do you enjoy getting calls from telemarketers?

I didn't think so.

willshome
10-08-2012, 08:24 AM
The main problems I see are
your marketing would not be focused at all.
Texting that many people would end up in prank calls, please stop calls....

veteranslawncaresystems
10-08-2012, 09:08 AM
It was just a ideal. Thinking out of the box I come up with some pretty crazy stuff

Steve
10-08-2012, 10:55 AM
This is something that may or may not drive people crazy. But I would venture to guess if you could do this, I bet you could also get a lot of customers through it. Especially if you could message them about something seasonal specific. Like 'the leaves are off the trees but are they stuck in your gutters? Call us for gutter cleaning.'

or maybe even 'wouldn't you rather not have to cut the lawn this weekend? Call us...'

You never know :)

TiedemanLLC
10-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Is it me, or is cabin fever already setting in with everyone, and it's not even winter yet?

Everyone.... it was a marketing idea that he suggested. Would I get upset if I got one, yes, but at least he is thinking outside the box. I applaud him for his effort. The funny thing is I would look up that business when I got home too thinking to myself "now who in the heck sent this to me!?" But you know what, he got me to look at his business.

This is from an article in 2011
" In a new study from Stanford Graduate School of Business, researchers say in some cases negative publicity can increase sales when a product or company is relatively unknown, simply because it stimulates product awareness."

Now would that negative publicity backfire down the road...it might. But at least you could never say people don't know you now;)

wat5150
10-08-2012, 03:01 PM
The things you described are not legal without a permit in many locations.

I understand that it's a form of marketing - it's just a form that I (and many others) find offensive.
Do you enjoy getting calls from telemarketers?

I didn't think so.

Didnt say I liked it, just simply stating that it isnt much different than other types of of invasive marketing. I just read my last couple of posts didnt find anything that said I liked it...sorry for the opinion.

mark123
10-08-2012, 03:51 PM
Didnt say I liked it, just simply stating that it isnt much different than other types of of invasive marketing. I just read my last couple of posts didnt find anything that said I liked it...sorry for the opinion.

No big deal, man. You had an idea and others stated why they wouldn't do it. I mean, I'd really like to cut lawns with a nuclear powered laser. Imagine how flat it would be. The problem is I'd probably cut the neighbor's lawn in the process and his dog and his shrubs and I'd die from the nuclear waste after the first 3 months. It sure would be cool though. :p

wat5150
10-08-2012, 06:07 PM
No big deal, man. You had an idea and others stated why they wouldn't do it. I mean, I'd really like to cut lawns with a nuclear powered laser. Imagine how flat it would be. The problem is I'd probably cut the neighbor's lawn in the process and his dog and his shrubs and I'd die from the nuclear waste after the first 3 months. It sure would be cool though. :p

UMMMM....not my idea. I just responded to a thread saying it isnt that far off from other advertising......

mark123
10-08-2012, 06:09 PM
UMMMM....not my idea. I just responded to a thread saying it isnt that far off from other advertising...... Well you better not take my idea!!!

veteranslawncaresystems
10-08-2012, 06:56 PM
What ideal I'm lost

wat5150
10-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Idea...not Ideal...read the whole thread...jesus.:mad:

veteranslawncaresystems
10-08-2012, 09:35 PM
I have a few times I'm the one that started this thread

ringahding1
10-12-2012, 07:29 AM
On my Android and I'm assuming most of them....I have a TEXT TEMPLATE feature. More like a "Signature", similar to this forum and other forums.

I set mine up like this:

Thank You!
Bryan Ring

Core Aeration

Leaf Clean Up

Snow Plowing

It has been a very successful UP SELLER and PAYMENT collector. I think you would benefit more attempting to up sell current customers, rather than spamming customers you do not have.