PDA

View Full Version : Bobcat ProCat Mower shuts off after a few minutes

msf08
10-04-2012, 04:18 PM
Hello,

I have a Bobcat Procat and after I mow for a few minutes the mower will automatically shut off, the engine keeps running. If I let it sit for a little while it will start again but only for a few minutes. Sounds to me like something is getting hot but I don't have a clue where to look or what to check. Does anyone have any suggestions or have this problem before?

Thanks,

Phil

Steve
10-05-2012, 11:28 AM
after I mow for a few minutes the mower will automatically shut off, the engine keeps running.

Can you tell us a little more what you mean here?

If I let it sit for a little while it will start again but only for a few minutes. Sounds to me like something is getting hot but I don't have a clue where to look or what to check. Does anyone have any suggestions or have this problem before?

We had talked about this a little in the past how heat can effect compression in the cylinders.

Do you have a compression testing tool? You could test it when it's cold and then after some use once it is hot. If the compression drops after it's hot, then that would direct you to another issue.

Keep us posted.

msf08
10-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Can you tell us a little more what you mean here?

Sorry if I was a little vague. When I mean it stops running I'm talking about the mower deck, not the engine. After a few minutes the PTO engaging the mower belt shuts off as if I pushed in the PTO switch. When it first happened I thought I hit it by accident but it was still in the on position. If I switch it to off and then turn it back on the mower deck doesn't engage. After it cools off for five minutes or so and I turn the PTO switch on the clutch engages and the mower deck turns on.

Thanks,

Phil

msf08
10-05-2012, 10:50 PM
Problem solved, the wire to the clutch was loose. Bought a new pigtail and that seemed to fix the problem, mowed for about an hour today with no problems. Apparently this is a common problem because when I went to the dealer he knew what it was immediately. Thanks.

stevef1201
10-06-2012, 06:10 AM
good to hear you're back up and running.

Amazing isn't it when you go to the dealer and he knows exaclty what is wrong, why can't they actually build this stuf right the first time?