PDA

View Full Version : Rainy Days and Wet yards....

blenno
10-02-2012, 12:14 PM
I live in North Eastern Ohio. Our falls are wet and rainy...and did I mention wet. Currently I am operating my business part-time, working another job part time, and attending college full time. I am very busy and my schedule is always planned out. A rainy day really throws a wrench in my schedule. So here is my question. When do you guys decide that it is dry enough to cut? For example last night it rained and all day today its hit and miss light rain. I always run into the problem. Should I load up the trailer or try and move things around and go for a 100 percent dry day. I do not want to go out there and just tear up peoples yards. I run into this problem continuously. What do you guys do when the rain is messing with your schedules ?

Caskey Lawns & Landscapes
10-02-2012, 12:45 PM
I live in North Eastern Ohio. Our falls are wet and rainy...and did I mention wet. Currently I am operating my business part-time, working another job part time, and attending college full time. I am very busy and my schedule is always planned out. A rainy day really throws a wrench in my schedule. So here is my question. When do you guys decide that it is dry enough to cut? For example last night it rained and all day today its hit and miss light rain. I always run into the problem. Should I load up the trailer or try and move things around and go for a 100 percent dry day. I do not want to go out there and just tear up peoples yards. I run into this problem continuously. What do you guys do when the rain is messing with your schedules ?

Rainy days are a bust in this business, It's not worth tearing up lawns and pissing off customers , good day for equipment maint if you can work inside or just crack open another beer and turn on the movie channel...;)

Apex Lawn & Landscape
10-02-2012, 03:13 PM
Rainy days are a bust in this business, It's not worth tearing up lawns and pissing off customers , good day for equipment maint if you can work inside or just crack open another beer and turn on the movie channel...;)

Like doug said...good maintenance day. Where at are you located in Ohio? I'm originally from Akron / Kent area

yourscape
10-02-2012, 03:21 PM

I hear you. I am in northern Ohio west of Cleveland and have been spoiled almost all summer with rain days not really an issue. But now this is my second week in a row with at least 1 rain day. I normally make a decision by 11 am if I will go out at all. If I see wet roads or puddles at 11 I call it a day. If the road haven't dried I know the grass is too wet. There is a couple of times I pushed it an end up screwing this up more than it is worth. I don't push it anymore since a customer would rather wait a day and have a good looking yard then messing it up and then it takes time to get it back.:rolleyes:

Hedgemaster
10-02-2012, 05:11 PM
I guess it depends on what you mow with and what types of lawns are involved.

If you wait for "dry" in western Pennsylvania, you'd better have a comfortable chair.

Also, what do you "wait 'til it's dry" guys do about "dew"?
There are days that the lawns are still wet at noon just from the dew on the grass.

Hedgemaster
10-02-2012, 05:12 PM
Like doug said...good maintenance day. Where at are you located in Ohio? I'm originally from Akron / Kent area

Oh, geeze. This explains a lot.

:D :D :D :p

stevef1201
10-02-2012, 06:41 PM
Rainy days are a single malt and a good book

mark123
10-02-2012, 07:03 PM
I bought a rain coat. Keep on Mowin'!

brian'slawncare
10-02-2012, 07:37 PM
I'm down in Cinci and it seems like we are getting the same weather as you guys up north.....wet, wet, and wet.

Von Bobbeh
10-02-2012, 09:38 PM
Throwing a bagger on instead of mulching sure helps if you cannot avoid wet lawns. A good raincoat helps too :rolleyes:

shadrach
10-02-2012, 10:14 PM
As soon as the pavement is dry, we mow.

Apex Lawn & Landscape
10-03-2012, 01:03 AM
It's hard to give you advise when you have another full time job..given that you only have certain days you can work. We can say wait it out etc. But in your case can you really? It might be best to deal with the clumps and tire skids . One of the guys made a good point as far as " what do you use" in my case .. I've tried mowing when it's really wet and my ztr just clogs and spits **** everywhere , and my belt driven walk behind is worthless!! So I take the rain days and maintenance mowers, catch up with customer calls, estimates and paperwork.