PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone

mike0507
09-30-2012, 02:27 AM
My name is Michael, and I have been on here for a few months now just reading some of the posts and trying to gather and learn as much as I can from all of you. I am planning to start my lawn care business next year (April) and just had a few questions for some of you.

Right now I am looking into equipment. I want an enclosed trailer but am not sure what size will be suitable. I plan on having a push mower, 32" walk behind, and at least a 46" ZTR mower. Will a 6x12 trailer fit all of this? The blowers, trimmers, etc will be hung on the interior walls of the trailer.

Also, What type of trucks are you using? I have been reading a lot about diesel trucks and have seen a lot of negative reviews on the 7.0 liter ford F250. For towing purposes I really don't want to use a F150 or equivalent size truck. Any help on these issues will be greatly appreciated!! :)

Cashin H&P
09-30-2012, 10:37 AM
First off welcome! Second I have a 5x10 open trailer. I have a 48 walk behind and 2 push mowers. I like having the capability to use the trailer for other things if needed. With an enclosed trailer you can't do things like put brush in it or haul mulch. As for the truck, I have never herd of a 7.0 do you mean 6.0? I have an 04 Chevy 1500 I tow and plow with it. It is fine for landscaping and residential/light commercial plowing.

mike0507
09-30-2012, 11:51 AM
Yea, I know what you mean about using an open trailer. I have actually been debating about buying an open or enclosed trailer. There are a few things I like about having an enclosed trailer. I can keep everything locked up at night without unloading it, and its a moving billboard... but just like you said, you are limited with an enclosed trailer.

And yes, that was a typo, I meant the 6.0 liter Ford... Do you think it is necessary for anything bigger than a 1500?

Thanks for your help

Cashin H&P
09-30-2012, 12:11 PM
No not if your doing just regular lawn care if you get into hardscapes and get bobcats and tthings then an f250 would be better. But then you would need an equipment traile and ththat is a whole new ball game

Apex Lawn & Landscape
09-30-2012, 12:56 PM
Welcome..Cashnhome is right about the trucks. If your sticking to regular lawn care then a 150/1500 is fine..but with that being said then I would strongly recommend an enclosed trailer 100%. look at my post about the weather man! I do all phases of landscape work but for that other stuff I have another trailer and a dump truck. As you said, your things will be stored and dry. If it's your first year , start out small and if you feel the need to step up to a 250/2500 then do so. Best of luck.

mike0507
10-01-2012, 05:46 AM
Okay cool, well that will definitely eliminates a lot of the trucks I have been looking at, and will save a bit too! Thanks guys!

willshome
10-01-2012, 08:30 AM
The 6.0L is a good engine but its not a 7.3L (7.3 is a cheap work horse)
I would look at mpg. My old bronco (f150) got towing around town 8, my diesel dump gets 12.
Spending money on gas is painful and cost more in the long run

Steve
10-01-2012, 11:35 AM
Hi Mike,

Welcome to our forum! What got you interested in starting your own business?

mike0507
10-03-2012, 01:45 AM
The 6.0L is a good engine but its not a 7.3L (7.3 is a cheap work horse)
I would look at mpg. My old bronco (f150) got towing around town 8, my diesel dump gets 12.
Spending money on gas is painful and cost more in the long run

Yea that's really the one biggest dilemma I was having. Diesel too, USUALLY last longer, however depending on the truck they can be more expensive.

mike0507
10-03-2012, 01:51 AM
Hi Mike,

Welcome to our forum! What got you interested in starting your own business?

Thanks, Steve!

I have actually always wanted to own my own business. I wanted to get into lawn care because it is something I love doing. I did it before I joined the ARMY, but I never owned the business, just worked for someone at the time.And it was a really small company. I'll be getting out pretty soon, and want to get back into it. Just trying to get everything in order and ready for when I get back and am ready to start!

Steve
10-03-2012, 10:31 AM
I never owned the business, just worked for someone at the time.And it was a really small company.

Do you feel you learned any lessons from that experience? If so, what stands out?

mike0507
10-04-2012, 02:39 PM
Do you feel you learned any lessons from that experience? If so, what stands out?

I definitely have! It was a very small business, and he knew the lawn care side of the house, but was horrible when it came to budgeting and the actual business side of things. I have learned a lot just from that alone! From what I hear, he is still in business though. :confused:

Steve
10-04-2012, 04:38 PM
but was horrible when it came to budgeting and the actual business side of things.

What kinds of things did he do that messed up the business side of things? What should other lawn care business owners look out for when they are managing their business?

mike0507
10-07-2012, 02:13 AM
What kinds of things did he do that messed up the business side of things? What should other lawn care business owners look out for when they are managing their business?

It was a number of things! What it boiled down to was that he just wasn't organized in any manner. He billed any time of the month when he was ready, sometimes he didn't know and would send people the wrong amounts :confused: it was horrible!

Steve
10-08-2012, 11:01 AM
Why do you think that happened? Was it that he was simply frazzled or he didn't know any better or what? Do you think he was always like that or did it get worse over time?

mike0507
10-09-2012, 05:52 AM
Why do you think that happened? Was it that he was simply frazzled or he didn't know any better or what? Do you think he was always like that or did it get worse over time?

Honestly, I think it's just the way he was...it seemed like it was always constant, but somehow he manages to stay in business!?!?