PDA

View Full Version : After 5 Years IM BACK!

abetterveiw
09-28-2012, 08:48 PM
Hey everyone! Just wanted to say hello. I use to be on this site all the time about 5 years under the name of something like "ALC" (i dont remember my name or password!) Anyway.... Ill be resurrecting my business over the next few months. I miss it sooo much! Im a retail manager atm for a supermarket and just cant take it anymore! I gave up almost 100 accounts + $1000's in equipment! Its a long story that maybe ill fill you in because im sure you all are saying im crazy right about now! I know that im going to start off small like a newbie but at least I know how to get accounts quickly and what NOT to do the first time! Looking forward to chatting with you all! -ME

Hedgemaster
09-28-2012, 09:50 PM
I've missed you!

Wait. I don't even know you.

:D

Welcome again anyway!

Sprinkler Buddy
09-28-2012, 10:14 PM
Funny how so many that leave this occupation end up coming back to it. It's like riding a bike, you never forget. :-)

Here's to resurrecting the past, Cheers!

Apex Lawn & Landscape
09-28-2012, 10:41 PM
Welcome Back ! Ya Id Be Bitter

wat5150
09-29-2012, 10:53 AM
Sucks you got rid of all your equipment. At least if you still had that it would be a huge plus for you in getting started. Anyway, good luck.

ringahding1
09-29-2012, 05:57 PM
Welcome back!

How are you going about getting accounts quick? Equipment?

cuttingedgeron
09-30-2012, 06:08 PM
Welcome back!

yeah I would like to know as well. When you said 100 accounts, I was like :eek:, thats crazy.

Steve
10-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Welcome back!

Why did you get out of the business in the first place?

Its a long story that maybe ill fill you in because im sure you all are saying im crazy right about now!

I can't wait to hear the story. :)

WorkForMySelf
10-02-2012, 11:03 PM
sounds like somebody was hitting the ole pipe.. 100 accts to zero?

abetterveiw
10-04-2012, 07:38 PM
Ahhh.... Funny how you would think I would be "Hitting the 'ole Pipe" !! LOL Not so.... I stopped mowing so I could take a Manager position with CVS. Good Pay and Whole Health insurance for my Family. When I quit mowing I had 98 Yearly accounts in which about 30 decided to go a different way and the other 60+ I handed off to my Father in Law to take over. I then Sold off all my equipment (which was stupid)!!! I averaged about $78/acct for Mow n Go service. This was 5 years ago actually this DECEMBER! I had a helper 2-3 days a week and did the rest either by myself or my wife would come along and ride the mower. She was a pro riding my Great Dane and also My Yard Shark.

I have since quit CVS and now work as an Asst. Manager at a High end Grocery store. Every day I go to work all I think is getting back out there and enjoying the weather and servicing my customers. I dont plan on financing anything so It will be about 2 months before Im all set with my equipment. My goal is this time next year to have about 30 to 50 residential accounts. (no low balling either)

Well there is my short story.... :)

abetterveiw
10-04-2012, 07:42 PM
funny How So Many That Leave This Occupation End Up Coming Back To It. It's Like Riding A Bike, You Never Forget. :-)

Here's To Resurrecting The Past, Cheers!

Thanks!!!! :)

abetterveiw
10-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Welcome back!

Its really no big secret honestly.... There are lots of media out there to use to advertise that I will use and there are certain ones I WONT use.. such as PHONE BOOK and throwing crap in peoples yards!! I'm pretty web savvy so building a very presentable website with high end search engine results will be my #1 resource. Its cheap, easy and super effective. A+ customer service and being prompt in replying to calls and showing up to bids is probably the most important. I found out that just showing up and letting people know that they can trust you will take care of their property will 9x outa 10 get you the account even if you are a bit higher in price. (they probably are looking for a new lawn company because they realized that saving $10-$20 a month did them no good!)

LawnBoy0311
10-04-2012, 08:22 PM
She was a pro riding my Great Dane

Sounds like a plot to a cheap p0rno. Landscapers gone wild???

LawnBoy0311
10-04-2012, 08:25 PM
Its really no big secret honestly.... There are lots of media out there to use to advertise that I will use and there are certain ones I WONT use.. such as PHONE BOOK and throwing crap in peoples yards!! I'm pretty web savvy so building a very presentable website with high end search engine results will be my #1 resource. Its cheap, easy and super effective. A+ customer service and being prompt in replying to calls and showing up to bids is probably the most important. I found out that just showing up and letting people know that they can trust you will take care of their property will 9x outa 10 get you the account even if you are a bit higher in price. (they probably are looking for a new lawn company because they realized that saving $10-$20 a month did them no good!)

I have to agree. I try to give quotes the same day, obviously depending on the time of the call/email when I get it. Trust is a MAJOR factor too, I got 6 accounts because of trust. If any customers call between 8am and 6pm, they will get a call back that same day...this goes for emails too.

abetterveiw
10-04-2012, 08:43 PM
I have to agree. I try to give quotes the same day, obviously depending on the time of the call/email when I get it. Trust is a MAJOR factor too, I got 6 accounts because of trust. If any customers call between 8am and 6pm, they will get a call back that same day...this goes for emails too.

Yep. Android/Iphones are a must. Best practice is to check phone after each yard and Link your email to your phone and answer right away.

I have a day job but I will be nothing but honest with them that I have a job and full intentions of building a reputable business again. I might not be able to get to their house that minute but If im on my way home I will keep a LOGO'd polo in my car, throw that on and stop by on my way home. :)

LawnBoy0311
10-04-2012, 09:00 PM
Yep. Android/Iphones are a must. Best practice is to check phone after each yard and Link your email to your phone and answer right away.

I have a day job but I will be nothing but honest with them that I have a job and full intentions of building a reputable business again. I might not be able to get to their house that minute but If im on my way home I will keep a LOGO'd polo in my car, throw that on and stop by on my way home. :)

I do the same exact thing!!!!!!!! ALWAYS check the phone, especially after each yard. Even the spam box to make sure no emails are missed. The polo in the truck is a MUST, you never know when a quote is needed. I have 2 tomorrow that I have to do, so I'll work my full time job, then throw the shirt on and go give the quotes.

abetterveiw
10-04-2012, 09:10 PM
I do the same exact thing!!!!!!!! ALWAYS check the phone, especially after each yard. Even the spam box to make sure no emails are missed. The polo in the truck is a MUST, you never know when a quote is needed. I have 2 tomorrow that I have to do, so I'll work my full time job, then throw the shirt on and go give the quotes.

Is there a "LIKE" button on this forum!? LMAO

Because if there was I would LIKE your post! :) hahaha

Steve
10-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Is there a "LIKE" button on this forum!? LMAO

Look a little below the last post and there should be a working like button :)

In fact, you can click on this too.

http://www.gopherforum.com/images/misc/facebook-like-small.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/share.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gopherforum.com%2Fsho wthread.php%3Ft%3D17424&t=After+5+Years+IM+BACK%21)

Well there is my short story....

Looking back now at your decision to work somewhere else, what would you liked to have redone if you could redo it?

I bet a lot of people find themselves in that same position and would like to hear your view on a better option to help guide them.

abetterveiw
10-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Look a little below the last post and there should be a working like button :)

In fact, you can click on this too.

http://www.gopherforum.com/images/misc/facebook-like-small.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/share.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gopherforum.com%2Fsho wthread.php%3Ft%3D17424&t=After+5+Years+IM+BACK%21)

Looking back now at your decision to work somewhere else, what would you liked to have redone if you could redo it?

I bet a lot of people find themselves in that same position and would like to hear your view on a better option to help guide them.

I see the Like Button now! Thanks! lol

You know I believe there was nothing wrong with my venturing out of the business for the time that I did but I truely regret dumping all my customers and selling off everything I owned. I think I needed to do that though at the time to just so I could move on. I really miss my Yard Shark mower and it will be a few years im sure before I go out and buy a brand new mower. I think I should have just kept my equipment and kept my 10-15 best High Paying yards and made the money as a side Gig. Since that is what is what Ill be doing right now for a while.

The good thing is for me I live in South Florida so getting accounts all year round is normal.

:)

Steve
10-08-2012, 11:10 AM
Well it should be a lot easier for you this time around to get everything going again.

abetterveiw
11-02-2012, 08:41 PM
just got my mower today! A very well maintained grasshopper 616!

http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab86/kalind06/Dscn1403.jpg?t=1351903807

I really cant believe I got such a great deal from a one owner / non-commercial user on this!

Steve
11-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Looks nice! I look forwards to your review of it as you get a chance to use it some.

abetterveiw
11-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Sounds like a plot to a cheap p0rno. Landscapers gone wild???

HAHAHA!!! Good One!