PDA

View Full Version : Truck in Shop - Out of Commission

Hedgemaster
09-26-2012, 06:36 PM
On Mon, my truck started making a bad noise in the front. I was already scheduled to have it inspected on Tues (as that's one of my "off/light" days), but after hearing the noise, I decided to only do the remaining jobs on the way back home and skip the few that were a ten mile drive - no sense risking it.

As luck would have it, a brake line blew about half a mile from home. The pedal went mushy and having had the same thing happen once before, I knew what was happening. Fortunately I was able to get it (with trailer) backed into my drive (on a hill) without rolling into my neighbor's house.

The shop is half a mile away and I was able to drive it there Tues morning to have it looked at.
The noise: Front wheel bearing (the other one was replaced several months ago)
The brake line: Blew in rear. One section was replaced 2 years ago with recommendation to have others changed due to deterioration. Time went on and I forgot about it.
Due to location of the one blown, replacing it without damaging others may prove difficult. Since all are looking "iffy", and I don't want to lose my brakes again, I gave the OK to replace anything that "needs" replacing.

More brakes: Front calipers and hoses need replaced. Yay.
I expected brakes and rotors, as it eats rotors, but not this time around.

Add in the wheel bearing, oil change, inspection/emission and I'm looking at around $1,400 and it won't be ready until Thurs eve. (And they are pushing me ahead of others because they know I need my truck to make money)

Subtract for lost mowing wages for two days and this blows royally.
I considered renting a truck for a day (thurs), but I don't think it's worth the hassle and added cost for the truck/gas for the few lawns it will keep me on schedule with.

This is the longest I've been without my vehicle (out of commission for one day before this) and it sucks.
Prepare accordingly. If you don't have a plan for a situation like this, you may want to consider one.

Hedgemaster
09-26-2012, 07:10 PM
Sorry to hear that. it does suck but at least you get your truck back fairly soon. My rear end went in my Silverado 2500 last year. it took 2 weeks and cost about $2 grand with new brake lines and such. I guess it can always be worse.

Yeah, initially they were talking sometime next week, but it's a mom & pop garage and they tend to do what they can to work with people. He's gotten me in and out quickly (with the wife's car as well) while doing only what is necessary to keep costs down on a few occasions.

I'd have been a long time customer, but I've always had new vehicles with warranties from the dealer and never needed his services until about two years ago.

The truck is a 2001 Silverado (with only 55,000 miles) purchased new and thus far the only repairs have been one section of brake line two years ago, one front wheel bearing a few months ago, and a few sets of brakes and rotors.
Oh, and while under warranty, a power mirror wire was replaced.

SECTLANDSCAPING
09-26-2012, 07:11 PM
You should order the stainless steel brake lines. There pre bent. You just connect and bleed the lines. There only about $150. Thats the same price the shop will charge you for the $30 of line with 400% mark up.

Cashin H&P
09-26-2012, 07:18 PM
On Mon, my truck started making a bad noise in the front. I was already scheduled to have it inspected on Tues (as that's one of my "off/light" days), but after hearing the noise, I decided to only do the remaining jobs on the way back home and skip the few that were a ten mile drive - no sense risking it.

As luck would have it, a brake line blew about half a mile from home. The pedal went mushy and having had the same thing happen once before, I knew what was happening. Fortunately I was able to get it (with trailer) backed into my drive (on a hill) without rolling into my neighbor's house.

The shop is half a mile away and I was able to drive it there Tues morning to have it looked at.
The noise: Front wheel bearing (the other one was replaced several months ago)
The brake line: Blew in rear. One section was replaced 2 years ago with recommendation to have others changed due to deterioration. Time went on and I forgot about it.
Due to location of the one blown, replacing it without damaging others may prove difficult. Since all are looking "iffy", and I don't want to lose my brakes again, I gave the OK to replace anything that "needs" replacing.

More brakes: Front calipers and hoses need replaced. Yay.
I expected brakes and rotors, as it eats rotors, but not this time around.

Add in the wheel bearing, oil change, inspection/emission and I'm looking at around $1,400 and it won't be ready until Thurs eve. (And they are pushing me ahead of others because they know I need my truck to make money)

Subtract for lost mowing wages for two days and this blows royally.
I considered renting a truck for a day (thurs), but I don't think it's worth the hassle and added cost for the truck/gas for the few lawns it will keep me on schedule with.

This is the longest I've been without my vehicle (out of commission for one day before this) and it sucks.
Prepare accordingly. If you don't have a plan for a situation like this, you may want to consider one.

Dude it sucks. I got in a car crash a week ago. I had my friends bobcat on the trailer and a women cut out in front of me. Long story short i couldnts stop fast enough and I hit her totaling her prius. Insurance deemed it her falt so good news is my insurance wont go up but I wont have my truck back from the body shop untill the end of next week! Thats 3 weeks with out my truck. Luckly my grandpa gave me his old truck a few months ago so I do have a back up but boy this sucks! Sorry to hear about your truck hedge what are you using while yours is in the shop?

Hedgemaster
09-26-2012, 08:32 PM
You should order the stainless steel brake lines. There pre bent. You just connect and bleed the lines. There only about $150. Thats the same price the shop will charge you for the $30 of line with 400% mark up.

I fully expected the "that's too much - do it yourself" post and that's great for those who can, but that's not me. If I could, I would, but I'm not about to screw around "learning" with something as important as my brakes.

Also, this shop has been good about not selling me more than I need. They have helped save me money in the past where others were trying to hose me - I'll give them my money - as much as it sucks to do in such quantities.

Hedgemaster
09-26-2012, 08:38 PM
Dude it sucks. I got in a car crash a week ago. I had my friends bobcat on the trailer and a women cut out in front of me. Long story short i couldnts stop fast enough and I hit her totaling her prius. Insurance deemed it her falt so good news is my insurance wont go up but I wont have my truck back from the body shop untill the end of next week! Thats 3 weeks with out my truck. Luckly my grandpa gave me his old truck a few months ago so I do have a back up but boy this sucks! Sorry to hear about your truck hedge what are you using while yours is in the shop?

I'm just not working. I have nothing else to use. (unless anyone thinks a Cavalier would work - LOL)

I was going to rent a truck, but most rentals (I've not found any actually) don't have receivers for towing. If it were going to be in the shop longer, I'd consider it and toss a push mower in the back, but it's not critical to get the lawns cut that I'll miss this week.

SECTLANDSCAPING
09-26-2012, 08:51 PM
I fully expected the "that's too much - do it yourself" post and that's great for those who can, but that's not me. If I could, I would, but I'm not about to screw around "learning" with something as important as my brakes.

Also, this shop has been good about not selling me more than I need. They have helped save me money in the past where others were trying to hose me - I'll give them my money - as much as it sucks to do in such quantities.
Its really not complicated. I barely do any of the work on my trucks but I learned the cooler and brake lines will always rot. So I replace them as soon as I get the truck with a permanent fix. To prevent a on the road break down. You can even tell the shop to install stainless steel lines and youll never have to worry about brake lines again.

The most time consuming part is bending them. As far as installing they just screw in. So if you get the pre bent kits, there no cutting or bending. It wont even take 2 hours to do. I watched them done once or twice and been doing it since. Most the shops I been to try to charge 6-8 hours of work.

Lopes Lawn Care
09-27-2012, 05:54 AM
That really sucks Hedge, hope your back up and running soon. I had a line break yrs ago. My pops who's a mechanic came by and put a vise grip on the broken line. This prevented the fluid from coming out when I pressed the brakes and made it possible for me to make it home to fix the line. Sect is right, it was fairly easy to fix if you get the pre-shaped lines.

It's really surprising that the brake lines would go only after 55,000 miles. My ford f150 has got 220,000 on it and I've only replaced one line. Not to say that they weren't changed before I bought the truck.

stevef1201
09-27-2012, 07:10 AM
First thank God you are allright. Brake lines letting go when 'out' can lead to a terrible accident.

Next thankfully you could get to the shop, and have one that will not screw you too bad on the repair. ( I consider all mechanics to charge too much).

I feel for you and others who do not have the knowledge or place or tools to do you own repairs.

I grew up learning how to repair things, do auto maintenance, rebuild engines tranmissions etc, so I do all my own work. I had to rebuild my entire brake system in Feb, cost me about 1000 bucks, new lines, master, wheels cylenders, calipers, drums, rotors. I could not imagine how much all that would have cost at a shop.

Hope you are up and running soon

Steve
09-27-2012, 10:37 AM
Sorry about that happening.

You would think something as important as a brake line would be engineered better. I just don't know why they are made so crappy.

For those interested, you can get the brake line flaring tools at autozone for free to use. They just hold a credit card number in case you don't bring it back.

A little playing around with making the fittings and you can do it. Once you put them on, check for leaks and if no leaks, you are good to go.

Regardless of the size, it's easy to bend them with the right tool.

http://image.carcraft.com/f/9603883/116_0701_19_z+bend_your_own_brake_lines+single_siz e_bending_tools.jpg

http://www.mytoolstore.com/astro/7826.jpg

Hedgemaster
09-27-2012, 12:33 PM
That really sucks Hedge, hope your back up and running soon. I had a line break yrs ago. My pops who's a mechanic came by and put a vise grip on the broken line. This prevented the fluid from coming out when I pressed the brakes and made it possible for me to make it home to fix the line. Sect is right, it was fairly easy to fix if you get the pre-shaped lines.

It's really surprising that the brake lines would go only after 55,000 miles. My ford f150 has got 220,000 on it and I've only replaced one line. Not to say that they weren't changed before I bought the truck.

Meh. Could be a "Chevy thing" for all I know - every brand has it's flaws.
The truck is in really good condition overall, but it does see a ton of salt in the winter and that's a pretty tough thing to battle.

Also, it may only have 55,000 miles, but it's 11 years old.

Hedgemaster
09-27-2012, 12:53 PM
First thank God you are allright. Brake lines letting go when 'out' can lead to a terrible accident.

Next thankfully you could get to the shop, and have one that will not screw you too bad on the repair. ( I consider all mechanics to charge too much).

I feel for you and others who do not have the knowledge or place or tools to do you own repairs.

I grew up learning how to repair things, do auto maintenance, rebuild engines tranmissions etc, so I do all my own work. I had to rebuild my entire brake system in Feb, cost me about 1000 bucks, new lines, master, wheels cylenders, calipers, drums, rotors. I could not imagine how much all that would have cost at a shop.

Hope you are up and running soon

Yeah, I keep trying to focus on the good. It's really good that I decided against doing any of the jobs that were a ten mile highway drive away when I heard the noise in the front end. I'd have lost my brakes too far away to even consider making it home and could have potentially had a very, VERY bad day if they went out at the wrong time. At a minimum, I'd be miles away, broken down, with a trailer to worry about towing away as well.

Growing up, I helped/watched my father do everything imaginable with his hands from building our home, to fabricating body parts, to swapping engines, to true custom paint jobs. I just didn't really pick up on it - it doesn't come naturally like it did for him. I'm an artist - not a mechanic.
Fortunately I have enough knowledge to get me through most minor mechanical problems, and can handle most home repairs, but working on cars isn't something I'm comfortable with - at least not when it comes to such an important component.

Hedgemaster
09-27-2012, 04:05 PM
Just came home with the truck. :)

$1,525.00 :(

It's raining so hard I didn't bring the bill in the house with me, but when I looked at it the labor alone was $700.

At least they had it finished as promised. Actually, they didn't "promise" it would be done - they said they would do their best to have it for me tonight. And they did.
:)

In continuing to look at the "good" in all of this, it rained most of the day yesterday and rained HARD all day today, so if I were to pick a time to have the truck down for repairs, this would be it!
:)

jrayb39667
09-27-2012, 07:59 PM
glad you got your truck back hedge. look on the bright side. maybe the rain will make the grass grow and get you an extra cutting or two before it stops growing to help foot the bill for your repairs

LawnBoy0311
09-28-2012, 05:48 AM
You lucked out with the rain! Glad to know you got your truck back.

stevef1201
09-28-2012, 05:58 AM
You lucked out with the rain! Glad to know you got your truck back.

No luck involved, he prayed hard for that rain. Now he can tell his customers 'it was raining', not 'my truck broke down because I didn't have the money to keep it up and running, you cheap bas***rds don't pay enough"

LawnBoy0311
09-28-2012, 08:38 AM
No luck involved, he prayed hard for that rain. Now he can tell his customers 'it was raining', not 'my truck broke down because I didn't have the money to keep it up and running, you cheap bas***rds don't pay enough"

ahhhhhhhhhhh so true!!!!!!!!!

Steve
09-28-2012, 01:42 PM
How's it running now? Like new?

Would it be worthwhile in the future to have another family vehicle that could pull a trailer in case of emergencies like this?

Lopes Lawn Care
09-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Yeah that's true man, didn't realize how old it was. Glad to see your back up and running now.

I too grew up around seeing my pops do everything. I retained some of what I learned but I definitely should know more. He's a great welder and I never sat and learned when he wanted to teach me. Young & dumb. Now he can't weld so I'm just gonna sit down and practice this winter. It's such a valuable skill to have in this business, in life for that matter.

Hedgemaster
09-28-2012, 05:41 PM
How's it running now? Like new?

Would it be worthwhile in the future to have another family vehicle that could pull a trailer in case of emergencies like this?

Yeah. I haven't gone through any walls or anything.

The plan is to get a small SUV that can pull the trailer in a pinch, but that takes money we don't have yet.

Hedgemaster
09-28-2012, 07:40 PM
Oh, and speaking of money we don't have... we had to take the dog to the vet today. $385.

The cat isn't eating and had better start because he has an appointment on Monday that is going to cost me more money if he doesn't.

This has been a very expensive week.

willshome
09-29-2012, 11:58 AM
The plan is to get a small SUV that can pull the trailer in a pinch, but that takes money we don't have yet.

Just be care full if you don't do snow plowing renting a truck a few times a year maybe cheaper. Just can't think about the per day cost but think about the cost per year. Btw home depot trucks are $80 a day

ringahding1
09-29-2012, 04:54 PM
The same situation happened to us about 5 years ago...Long story short, I actually had a customer offer his TRUCK to me...We had it for a week and I finally broke down and bought a brand new truck.
This customer passed away, but I will never forget that...

Steve
10-01-2012, 08:49 AM

Well it's good to have the plan and I am sure there will be a time in the future when it will be implemented.

Hedgemaster
10-01-2012, 07:29 PM
Life continues to kick me in the nuts...

Since last Monday:

Truck repairs $1,500.00
Dog vet bill $385.00
Cat vet bill $200.00

Still need to pay:
Cat dental procedure $420.00
Truck Inspection/Emissions $70 (est. I can't recall exact prices)
Truck registration due $81.00
Mower payment $143.00

$2,800.00

I need a cup. :(

Cashin H&P
10-01-2012, 07:44 PM
I feel your pain! I have to pay $3500 for my main truck friday just had to put new break lines on my back up truck ($1200) truck payment ($166). And its supposed to rain all week here so ill be lucky to make any money this week.

SECTLANDSCAPING
10-10-2012, 09:47 PM
After 2 days of rain it cleared around 3pm. So I head out to do a hedge job and the brake pedal hits the floor. I blew a line going into the abs. I ended up cutting the hedges but didnt haul it off. I came home bought a line for $7.49 and a few fittings for $6.00. A hour later my brakes are fixed. I didnt have someone to help me bleed so tomorrow morning Ill get it completed.

Side note..... Whoever designed the 99-04 silverados brakes should be shot dead. Who the hell buries the lines on top of the frame so you have 3 inches to work with? And also puts plastic clips that hold moisture up and down the lines. A quick google search shows thousands had problems with this design flaw.

This is the only truck I have that doesnt have stainless lines and look what happens. I'm going to order them now and put them on after the fall clean ups stop.

Hedgemaster
10-10-2012, 10:16 PM
After 2 days of rain it cleared around 3pm. So I head out to do a hedge job and the brake pedal hits the floor. I blew a line going into the abs. I ended up cutting the hedges but didnt haul it off. I came home bought a line for $7.49 and a few fittings for $6.00. A hour later my brakes are fixed. I didnt have someone to help me bleed so tomorrow morning Ill get it completed.

Side note..... Whoever designed the 99-04 silverados brakes should be shot dead. Who the hell buries the lines on top of the frame so you have 3 inches to work with? And also puts plastic clips that hold moisture up and down the lines. A quick google search shows thousands had problems with this design flaw.

This is the only truck I have that doesnt have stainless lines and look what happens. I'm going to order them now and put them on after the fall clean ups stop.

Heh. Yeah, when the mechanic showed me where he had to replace the line I thought "holy crap, how can you work up in there"? He said that in that tight space and with the other lines as deteriorated as they were, it wouldn't surprise him if he broke another one trying to fix it.

Every vehicle has it's design flaws. At least it's not as bad as Dodge where the whole vehicle is a design flaw. :D (but they shore looks purty. :rolleyes: )

Glad you're OK.
I keep telling myself that as bad as it sucked to have paid all that money, those brakes could have blown as I was coming down the off ramp since I almost went on the highway that morning.

SECTLANDSCAPING
10-10-2012, 10:33 PM
Heh. Yeah, when the mechanic showed me where he had to replace the line I thought "holy crap, how can you work up in there"? He said that in that tight space and with the other lines as deteriorated as they were, it wouldn't surprise him if he broke another one trying to fix it.

Every vehicle has it's design flaws. At least it's not as bad as Dodge where the whole vehicle is a design flaw. :D (but they shore looks purty. :rolleyes: )

Glad you're OK.
I keep telling myself that as bad as it sucked to have paid all that money, those brakes could have blown as I was coming down the off ramp since I almost went on the highway that morning.
I was good cause I wasnt towing. These brake systems are designed to be able to drive with a blown line nowadays. In the past you would lose all braking power. I cant figure out why they wont coat the lines. It would only cost a few bucks a vehicle.

I cant really complain about the chevy. She has 274k, went through 2 transmissions, some exhaust work and a few emission repairs. I think the ujoints are going. Ill have to get someone to look at it soon.

Steve
10-11-2012, 10:31 AM

That is another thing that bugs me about them. If these things are going to fail on their own, why not position them so they can be visually inspected easier? I understand the designers don't want objects from the road bouncing up and damaging them, but I'd still rather be able to see them and see what is going on.

Hedgemaster
10-01-2013, 08:37 PM
Rather than starting a new thread, I thought I'd dig this one up to share my latest "pain" and as a reminder to HAVE A BACKUP PLAN.

Last week I noted that my truck was sitting low in the back when towing the trailer. A few thoughts ran through my head as to the possible cause, but ultimately by the end of the day I had forgotten it due to a busy schedule.

The next day I was just using my cargo carrier in the receiver to haul my push mower, as I didn't need the trailer. When I bent over to strap down the mower, I realized I needed to bend down further than usual to do so.
I stopped by my local mechanic for them to take a look. Both rear shackles were broken and the rear mounting point for the leaf springs were up resting against the bottom of the bed of the truck! Lovely.

That was last Thursday.
I scheduled it to go in Tuesday (today) giving them time to get parts. I figured that I had been driving it like that for a week - I may as well work Friday and Monday too. There are two bulges in the truck bed from the springs pushing up from below. (went unnoticed because I have a carpet/padding in the bed)

This morning (Tuesday) I dropped it off. Not a big deal - Tuesdays are my "project" days, so while I could have been doing things, I didn't have any cuts scheduled that I'd miss.

Then the phone rang. The shop couldn't locate a bushing needed from any of their suppliers. Great. NOW what do I do???

Long story short, I found a semi-local shop that specializes in spring work and after politely explaining my situation the manager said "give me a second to look at the schedule". (He had initially said "Wed/Thurs/Fri are open")
My Wed/Thurs/Fri are chock FULL of mowing clients and I'd be SCREWED by more than a few hours missed.
He got back on the phone and said "If you can have it in here at 12:30, we can get you done today."
SWEET.

They got me wrapped up by 4:30 and I was on my way.
Total cost was $280 - both rear shackles, bushings, bolts, labor, and tax.
Not as expensive as I had expected (considering it's a specialty shop) and more importantly they saved my a$$ by getting me done TODAY.

I didn't need my backup plan today, but I was ready to rent a truck if needed.

PLAN AHEAD!

willshome
10-02-2013, 07:19 AM
did they replace the frame mounts?
spray paint it now to make it last

SECTLANDSCAPING
10-02-2013, 08:11 AM
Paint? You know hedge is waxing and laying down some carpet right now. I bet that truck looks like the van from dumb and dumber.

http://i2.cdnds.net/12/34/618x409/movies_dumb_and_dumber_8.jpg

Steve
10-02-2013, 01:09 PM
Did you take any pictures of it? Did the mechanic say why that happened?

http://image.classictrucks.com/f/11732495/0901clt_10_z+chevy_3100_total_cost_involved_rear_l eaf_spring_kit_upgrade+new_leaf_spring_shackles.jp g

It makes you wonder if some upgrade to your springs is needed. It is quite possible using that cargo carrier may have added more leverage on them then they were designed to take.

stevef1201
10-02-2013, 03:27 PM
I need a cup. :(

Of? Personally I would go with Glenlivit

Hedgemaster
10-02-2013, 08:43 PM
did they replace the frame mounts?
spray paint it now to make it last

I don't know. I don't think so, unless that would be included as part of the replacement shackles. I'd have to look at the receipt again.

I want to get under there and paint where they were pushing up on the bed to keep those spots from starting to rust now.

I assume you mean paint the shackles? Makes sense.
No rain in the forecast, so it should remain clean for a while before I can do it.

I didn't get before pics of the broken stuff, but I do have pics of the bulges in the floor of the bed. Good thing my bed wasn't rusty or they would have pushed right through.

Hedgemaster
10-02-2013, 08:45 PM
Paint? You know hedge is waxing and laying down some carpet right now. I bet that truck looks like the van from dumb and dumber.

Haha

If I didn't have padding and carpet in the bed of the truck, I'd have noticed the bulges right away!

Hedgemaster
10-02-2013, 08:49 PM
Did you take any pictures of it? Did the mechanic say why that happened?

http://image.classictrucks.com/f/11732495/0901clt_10_z+chevy_3100_total_cost_involved_rear_l eaf_spring_kit_upgrade+new_leaf_spring_shackles.jp g

It makes you wonder if some upgrade to your springs is needed. It is quite possible using that cargo carrier may have added more leverage on them then they were designed to take.

No pics.

They were rusted. Said it's common. My mechanic says he sees it on Chevy's - the spring shop (they deal with big rigs, and HD pickups mostly) said they see it on all makes.

I wondered about the cargo carrier too. I should ask them. I plan to call and ask for the general manager to thank them again for getting me in and out so quickly.

willshome
10-03-2013, 07:06 AM
They were rusted. Said it's common. My mechanic says he sees it on Chevy's - the spring shop (they deal with big rigs, and HD pickups mostly) said they see it on all makes.
They rust out on all trucks. Don't feel bad

I wondered about the cargo carrier too. I should ask them. I plan to call and ask for the general manager to thank them again for getting me in and out so quickly.
Most likely not. Cargo carriers don't cause rust.
Does your truck sit lower with it on? The maximum tongue weight is way higher them a 22" mower

Steve
10-03-2013, 01:28 PM
When you look at some pics of rusted leaf spring shackles, it makes you wonder what these frames are being made of. WOW. Talk about rott!

http://image.dieselpowermag.com/f/tech/ford/1007dp_junkyard_style_leaf_spring_swap/29382007/1007dp_1007_02%2B1997_ford_f350_rearend_fix%2Bbrok en_shackle.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/sean2857/HPIM0043.jpg

Cashin H&P
10-03-2013, 01:49 PM
Rust/rot is not a new thing. It has been happening forever. If you have a truck in an area where the roads are salted in the winter the truck will rot. I dont care how many times its washed after a storm.

Hedgemaster
10-03-2013, 08:26 PM
Rust/rot is not a new thing. It has been happening forever. If you have a truck in an area where the roads are salted in the winter the truck will rot. I dont care how many times its washed after a storm.

They salt the roads if it RAINS here. I swear.

At least my bed was still in good shape, or they could have just punched up through it.

Hedgemaster
10-30-2013, 07:30 PM
Heh. Had the truck in the shop for state inspection and it needed a new exhaust from the cat back. I THOUGHT the truck sounded a little loud. There was a nice hole rusted through the muffler.

They also noticed two leaking transmission lines. Gonna take it back to get that done next week. It must be a new thing because the fluid isn't low and I didn't note any spots in the driveway.

At least it was done on my "off day". I had a few things I could have done, but it didn't mess up my mowing schedule.

Steve
10-31-2013, 02:55 PM
You always have the option of the good ol muffler bandage :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZP7f-yOpoVs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/rodi_2270_132748599.jpg

It won't be great but it's cheap and just might get you through inspection.

Hedgemaster
11-01-2013, 07:33 PM
Pipes and muffler were replaced. Sounds worse now. LOL

I had too many things going on to even consider "options" for a muffler.
I assume it was just a "generic" muffler that was installed. The truck sounds more "rumbly" now.
Oh well. I'm sure it will rot away in a year or two and I can put something better on then.

Steve
11-04-2013, 02:51 PM
Oh well. I'm sure it will rot away in a year or two and I can put something better on then.

It is amazing how cheaply made lower priced mufflers can be made.

You can get 14, 16, 18 gauge steel mufflers or stainless steel mufflers.

When you look at what the difference in steel gauge is, it can make a difference.

14 gauge = .064 inch thick

16 gauge = .051 inch

18 gauge = .04 inch

Ducke
11-07-2013, 08:57 PM
Hedge I feel your pain.
As you know I drive a 2004 Silverado 1500
I'll go back wards here
Summer 2013 New shocks on rear PLUS weld in 3 frame gussets and replace to frame cross members. $850.00 and truck down for 2 days
Spring 2013 4 new tires $1550.00 truck down 1 day

Summer 2012 had to replace fuel tank and fuel lines (tank fell off in driveway) $1100.00 truck down 2 days.

Summer 2011 Had o replace all the brake lines as well as the rotors and pads. $1500.00 truck down for 2 days.

I rent a truck for the periods were I would be without for more then a day.
I can afford to be down that long. besides I right it off in my tax's at the end of the year (or I should say my book keeper dose ) beside now I get preferred customers rate at Hertz LOL

Cashin H&P
11-07-2013, 09:09 PM
Ducke, I have the same truck. Last fall I had to do my fuel pump, during a snow storm my alternator went bad. I had to scramble to fix it during the storm. I just got a second truck (04 f350) and the comfort of knowing I can just jump in the back up truck and keep on working.

Hedgemaster
11-07-2013, 11:59 PM
Oh, and while it was in getting the exhaust work done they noticed two transmission lines were leaking.

Had those replaced this week. $250

SECTLANDSCAPING
11-08-2013, 01:01 AM
You guys keep using that 1500 and watch the repairs rack up.

Heres mine for my 2000. I did all the work except where noted.

Previous owner put in a rebuilt engine and torque converter 2009
Dec 2010 used Transmission $450
Dec 2010 Transmission lines $20
April 2011 Jasper Transmission $2300
March 2011 Exhaust gasket, Oxygen Sensors (shop)$350
April 2011 oil cooler $60
Dec 2011 4 Tires $1000 (shop)
Jan 2012 Used Rear Axle $800 (Needed a $500 gear in the diff)
July 2012 2 Tires slashed $450
Oct 2012 rubber brake lines $60
Oct 2012 rotors, brakes, calipers, $275
Feb 2013 metal brake lines $30
Feb 2013 Air Shocks $175
April 2013 Starter $150
Nov 2013 Radiator $90, Coolant $25
Nov 2013 Alignment $100 (shop)
Any day now front ball joints and the transfer case is leaking.

This trucks repairs has far exceeded its value. Its still a good truck with 287k on the frame. I couldnt sell it if I wanted to. After the front end work is done the truck is pretty much rebuilt.

Cashin H&P
11-08-2013, 06:03 AM
You guys keep using that 1500 and watch the repairs rack up.

Heres mine for my 2000. I did all the work except where noted.

Previous owner put in a rebuilt engine and torque converter 2009
Dec 2010 used Transmission $450
Dec 2010 Transmission lines $20
April 2011 Jasper Transmission $2300
March 2011 Exhaust gasket, Oxygen Sensors (shop)$350
April 2011 oil cooler $60
Dec 2011 4 Tires $1000 (shop)
Jan 2012 Used Rear Axle $800 (Needed a $500 gear in the diff)
July 2012 2 Tires slashed $450
Oct 2012 rubber brake lines $60
Oct 2012 rotors, brakes, calipers, $275
Feb 2013 metal brake lines $30
Feb 2013 Air Shocks $175
April 2013 Starter $150
Nov 2013 Radiator $90, Coolant $25
Nov 2013 Alignment $100 (shop)
Any day now front ball joints and the transfer case is leaking.

This trucks repairs has far exceeded its value. Its still a good truck with 287k on the frame. I couldnt sell it if I wanted to. After the front end work is done the truck is pretty much rebuilt.

this is why I got my f350.

stevef1201
11-08-2013, 07:56 AM
The problem as I see from the posting here is FORD! I:D

SECTLANDSCAPING
11-08-2013, 10:04 AM
this is why I got my f350.
The extra durability of the 1 ton will help but dont think your safe because you have a ford. All my fords have cracked exhaust manifolds. I havent attempted to fix them because I dont know if theyll come off. I had this problem on 3 fords and 1 chevy.