PDA

View Full Version : Ohhhhh My God

stevef1201
09-24-2012, 02:27 PM
I got a call from a woman about her yard. She lives in Indiana, and called to have a yard here in Florida mowed. She told me that she was paying 'a guy' to mow it but the real estate agent said the yard has not been mowed 'in a while', and could I look at it,

OH MY GOD, the weeds are over 4 feet tall, the grass is over 3 feet tall, someone damaged the fence, and there is trash everywhere.

After looking at it, and talking to my partner we bid the job at 125 dollars, for
about 6000 SF.

I truly hope I dont get it.

Grass that tall would tear up my machines.

Anybody else have situations like this?????

Sorry the camera would not work so I have no pictures

jymie
09-24-2012, 02:39 PM
I got a call from a woman about her yard. She lives in Indiana, and called to have a yard here in Florida mowed. She told me that she was paying 'a guy' to mow it but the real estate agent said the yard has not been mowed 'in a while', and could I look at it,

OH MY GOD, the weeds are over 4 feet tall, the grass is over 3 feet tall, someone damaged the fence, and there is trash everywhere.

After looking at it, and talking to my partner we bid the job at 125 dollars, for
about 6000 SF.

I truly hope I dont get it.

Grass that tall would tear up my machines.

Anybody else have situations like this?????

Sorry the camera would not work so I have no pictures

Make sure you get payment upfront in full before you take this on if you do. I did one earlier this year very similar and charged $175 pay up front. 1st pass make sure deck is up as high as it will go and just go slow and keep eyes open, take half width passes until you do the 2nd pass.

Liberty Landscaping LLC
09-24-2012, 03:02 PM
I would have probably been double that. Then rented a brush mower amd cut it then used my Mower. You going to probably have to cut it three times and haul a lot be careful you can't see obstacles. Or you will need to weedwack it first then mow.

SECTLANDSCAPING
09-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Hit it with the weedwacker in a zig zag pattern or walkbehind trimmer. Then go over it at the highest setting with the mower.

You shouldve went a little hire for wear and tear but for time you can do it in a hour.
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/413642_10151035874694544_304714119_o.jpg

stevef1201
09-24-2012, 05:48 PM
Just got an email back-thats way too high, i was thinking about 35 or 40 dollars.

God I love a good laugh in the evening

willshome
09-24-2012, 06:15 PM
Just got an email back-thats way too high, i was thinking about 35 or 40 dollars.
In two weeks when she cant get it done for $35 tell her the quote expired and it has grown so it will cost $135 now

LawnBoy0311
09-24-2012, 07:04 PM
In two weeks when she cant get it done for $35 tell her the quote expired and it has grown so it will cost $135 now

Always a must!!!!

I just did one like that not too long ago. We hit it with trimmers and mowed on the highest setting. The lady was in tears when she came out to pay. It turns out her husband left her, and she went into that drunken blur and never cut the back...only the front.

WHEN you get the job, I'll feel your pain. Because you know she's going to call when no one else will do it for her price!

h_soape
09-24-2012, 08:23 PM
Be careful bidding things that you hope you won't get. Too often you will.

Hedgemaster
09-24-2012, 09:48 PM

A ten dollar increase? Eff THAT.

Screw her. Let some other idiot cut it if she doesn't want to pay.
$125 sounds too freaking low to begin with.

How much would you cut it for if it were maintained?
Now multiply that by the estimated weeks it hasn't been cut.

THAT is MORE than fair for an estimate because the would have been paying that much all along, but NOW you have to kill yourself and your mower and they want to pay you the single-cut price?

As I said - EFF THAT.

Steve
09-25-2012, 05:04 AM
How long were you thinking the job would take?

stevef1201
09-25-2012, 07:29 AM
Be careful bidding things that you hope you won't get. Too often you will.

This job will take about 20 minutes maybe a 1/2 hour. So getting it would make me money, I just dont want the hassle. Besides I am so busy that I would have trouble getting to it with out working MORE on the weekend, I already work 6 hours on Sunday and 5 hours on Sat.

willshome
09-25-2012, 08:00 AM
This job will take about 20 minutes maybe a 1/2 hour.

wow that is fast one man hour
6k @ 3 feet tall I would think about 2 to 3 man hours

LawnBoy0311
09-25-2012, 07:04 PM
A ten dollar increase? Eff THAT.

Screw her. Let some other idiot cut it if she doesn't want to pay.
$125 sounds too freaking low to begin with.

How much would you cut it for if it were maintained?
Now multiply that by the estimated weeks it hasn't been cut.

THAT is MORE than fair for an estimate because the would have been paying that much all along, but NOW you have to kill yourself and your mower and they want to pay you the single-cut price?

As I said - EFF THAT.

No offense Hedge, but his part of the woods may be different from ours. That may be a great price for him. We all have different prices...

Von Bobbeh
09-26-2012, 10:02 AM
Honestly if you're stuck removing debris I wouldn't go lower than $200, but things up here in Washington are always more expensive. I encounter stuff like this semi regularly. since I made my mower "frank" this kind of work is semi profitable.http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=16922