PDA

View Full Version : Jump Starting a Lawnmower

SECTLANDSCAPING
09-19-2012, 05:54 PM
My stander wouldnt start so I jumped it with truck and it ran fine. Until I had to start it again.

This time I tried to jump it with my ZTR. Well that didnt work. I had to use the truck again.

The problem is about 5 minutes after doing this the ZTR stopped running. I tried jumping it with the truck but didnt get any crank, hour meter never turned on, nothing.

I cant find a multimeter to check the battery but I have it on the charger. Do you guys think I couldve burnt something up by jumping the other mower?

SECTLANDSCAPING
09-19-2012, 06:52 PM
Found the multimeter the batter is at 12.7 volts. So any ideas?

SECTLANDSCAPING
09-19-2012, 07:01 PM
Is there a celenoid that could have burned up??

probably is but this mower was running when I used it to try to start the other. I dont see how this would effect anything in the starting system other then fuses. Even if the solenoid was bad the hour meter would come on as soon as the key was turned.

jrayb39667
09-19-2012, 09:01 PM
There should be a fuse in the starter circuit. Give it a good look over and see if you can find it.

stevef1201
09-19-2012, 09:09 PM
Your 12V batter should have 14.5 V. dont believe me check your truck battery. You need to check your main fuse, about a 20 or 30 AMP. There should be a wire running from your P battery connection to the rest of your machine, and one going to the start solenoid. the fuse should be in the smaller wire. You should NOT use your lawn mower to jump start anything as your lawn mower only puts out about 5 amps I think, and jump starting anything will ruin your mowers ability to recharges its own battery. As has happened to you.

wandfsmall
09-20-2012, 07:46 AM
My stander wouldnt start so I jumped it with truck and it ran fine. Until I had to start it again.

This time I tried to jump it with my ZTR. Well that didnt work. I had to use the truck again.

The problem is about 5 minutes after doing this the ZTR stopped running. I tried jumping it with the truck but didnt get any crank, hour meter never turned on, nothing.

I cant find a multimeter to check the battery but I have it on the charger. Do you guys think I couldve burnt something up by jumping the other mower?

I bet you blew the solenoid, most likely you will also find a fuse blown as well with your description. We see a lot of electrical problems with mowers after someone trys to jump them with trucks. In fact if you have a fuel injected mower and jump it with a truck you can do hundreds of dollars in damages.

willshome
09-20-2012, 08:46 AM
I bet you blew the solenoid, most likely you will also find a fuse blown as well with your description. We see a lot of electrical problems with mowers after someone trys to jump them with trucks. In fact if you have a fuel injected mower and jump it with a truck you can do hundreds of dollars in damages.

Are jumper packs safe or do you need to change out the battery?

Steve
09-20-2012, 11:19 AM
I bet you blew the solenoid, most likely you will also find a fuse blown as well with your description. We see a lot of electrical problems with mowers after someone trys to jump them with trucks.

Why does that happen? Does it come down to too many amps going into the mower electrical system?

SECTLANDSCAPING
09-20-2012, 01:39 PM

This problem happen before I tried to connect it to the truck. This is the mower I tried to jump the other mower with. The other mower was jumped with the truck 3 times and is fine.

I'm going to check all fuses. If its not that I'm guessing a safety or ignition.

SECTLANDSCAPING
09-20-2012, 05:33 PM
It was the fuse by the battery. Everything is in working order.

jrayb39667
09-20-2012, 08:11 PM

Glad you found your problem. I had my ignition fuse blow on my Hustler for no apparent reason. My solenoid is sticking.(Has been doing this since the 2nd week I owned it) I have 103 hrs on it now and will be taking it to the dealer after mowing season ends to have them fix it.

wandfsmall
09-24-2012, 09:41 AM
Why does that happen? Does it come down to too many amps going into the mower electrical system?

I honestly have never thought much about it other then that is what happens.

wandfsmall
09-24-2012, 09:43 AM
Are jumper packs safe or do you need to change out the battery?

on an EFI I try not to even use jumper packs, but I have used them to get the mower to a location that I can charge the battery at.

stevef1201
09-24-2012, 01:38 PM

I had that happen and looked over the entire wireing harness, to find a little tiney rub spot on one wire. It may or may mot have been grounding out, but I wrapped with tape and have no more problems. I hope that you do not have to go through this looking, it took almost 3 months to find.

Luke Reedy
10-08-2012, 09:05 PM
yes you definitely could have burnt something. I've done it before jumping from a truck and jumping from a mower too many times in a short period(a day). It sends a powerful surge from the truck through that little electrical system on the mower. You can test the battery all you want but i can almost guarantee that ain't the problem.

brian'slawncare
10-09-2012, 04:11 PM
So it is not a good thing to jump a mower with a truck? I thought the batteries were essentially the same strength?

Luke Reedy
10-10-2012, 12:13 AM
no sir and if you ever have to replace one in a mower go to the dealer and get the exact one that it comes with we run walker mowers and i found out the hard way not to use walmart batteries spend the extra money and get the brand and strength the mower calls for my wife also found this bit of knowledge handy with Acura TLs as well caused all kind of problems using a walmart battery GO TO THE DEALER !!! DON"T BE CHEAP LIKE ME !!!