PDA

View Full Version : howdy y'all! Calimondia Land Co.

calimondialandco
09-18-2012, 03:48 PM
How's it goin' fellow lawn-mongers?

This is Dan, owner of the newly established Calimondia Land Company. With a degree in botany, I intend to do business mainly as a landscaper/ botanical consuntant. I am based in Shreveport, Louisiana. I have worked recently in the film industry building sets and utilizing my knowledge to get 'the look' that is sought after by the art director/production designer. Due to the sporadic nature of that industry I decided to go into business for myself.

I am working on my business plan, and have my first official landscaping gig coming up in October for a friends wedding. All the paperwork for the LLC has been submitted to the Sec. of State and am awaiting it's return. I want to start this out right and make sure that the format is in place for a lot of business to be handled easily and legally. Any advice on S-corps vs C-corps vs LLC's would be greatly appreciated. Also insurance is something i must consider soon.

I am very interested in using native species for landscaping purposes so any other plant-minded folks holler at me! I can see a nursery in my future and would like to start building a stock of species in the back yard.

Glad to find a forum with a really enthusiastic moderator and so many useful posts/threads/business topics. I know this will be a major help as i start out on this dream of mine. Thanks for your help and feel free to ask me anything!
:cool:

wat5150
09-18-2012, 07:05 PM
Welcome to the forum

Steve
09-19-2012, 12:16 PM
Welcome to our forum!

I think the most popular business structure on here is the d.b.a. Then llc, s-corp, and I don't think we have seen any c-corps.

tke488
09-19-2012, 03:00 PM
Movie sets. very cool! Hello!

calimondialandco
09-27-2012, 11:17 AM
So glad to 'meet' y'all.
The Sec of State returned my paperwork after a minor blip on my part; consulted with an attorney and have the LLC open for business. I have made some contacts, and obtained some work through chance encounters at Small Business Association seminars at a local college. Now it's time to make up some business cards and think about advertising. Anybody have any recommendations for business card makers?

I am in the midst of getting hog traps ready so that the hogs don't eat all my deer corn but I am not able to get out to the hunting grounds as much as i'd like with all this O-fficial business going on. It is incredibly satisfying, while at the same time, time consuming. I have to remind myself to stop and smell the sweet olive bushes that are coming into bloom! Dang they smell good!

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/527615_10151079427822898_1575738291_n.jpg

Steve
09-27-2012, 11:42 AM
Anybody have any recommendations for business card makers?

Have you checked out vistaprint.com?

That is a great picture! Was that taken with tree mounted trail camera or something?

Have you thought about offering hog trapping services too?

calimondialandco
09-27-2012, 12:11 PM
I have now!

Thanks for the suggestion. There is a sign I have seen up around town that does offer "wildlife abatement" which is a great way to euphamistically say "git 'em!"

My 15 minute time limit for editing expired so here's a better version of the pic.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/408237_10151079587107898_1035094437_n.jpg

Steve
09-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Great picture. I bet there is money to be made in such services. It be interesting to experiment with.

Hedgemaster
09-28-2012, 08:46 PM
If you're willing to "wrassle" them piggies while wearing a leopard print thong and a cowboy hat, you could probably expand your career to television with your own show!

:D

And no, I'm not interested in being your sidekick! :eek:

calimondialandco
09-30-2012, 12:08 PM
you could probably expand your career to television with your own show!

Hmmmmm. I'd say a sidekick has gotta be there for the comedy relief. hee-haw!