PDA

View Full Version : the right thing to do.

Grass Doctor
09-15-2012, 08:45 PM
at the beginning of the season a guy call me, just right there while i was hanging flyers in a community.

got all happy and stuff. well he, became my client, well 2 days a go they guy call, he had to call me every month :confused: most of my clients don't. well in my lawn maintenance plan contract i have other stuff at certain % of discount like (soil aeration, compost spreading, etc) all this i charge in monthly basis in the top of what i charge for the basic lawn maintenance (mowing, hedging, and blowing) keep in mind this are 1/4 acre probably a little bigger always less than 1/2 acre lots, new developments. back to the point i offer hand weed pulling at 5.00 for 1 flower bed, 7.50 for 2 flower beds etc. once per month it really don't take me long this are new houses not a lot of weeds with very small flower beds lets say 3 to 4 minutes, back to the guy he sign up for this 5.00 extra per month OK at the beginning it was only a few weeds growing in there, after a while grass start coming up from the flower bed i toll him who ever did this for u did not a good job, i can offer you to do it right (blah blah, blah blah blah.) and guarantied for 1 year. for x 125.00 since he was my client. Not even a yard of mulch. he say ill think about it, well its being raining in TX AND i let him know 2 months ago that i was going to stop taking care of the flower bed cause that was grass not weeds taking over his mulch. Well he call 2 days ago are u going clean the flower beds for me

ME: no i already toll u that i was not, plus u did pay the 5.00 extra for this month and last.

the guy: i though u say it was part of the grass, and u will do it. as part of the lawn maintenance

ME:im not going to do it.

GUY: the company that i had before use to do it for free. and they charge less for yard maintenance that you.

Me: really is this the guy u where bitching about when u hire me, ok sir. just to let you no i am not going to remove grass out of your flower beds. the contract says weeds and u have Bermuda grass growing in it.

GUY: just don't come no more:D

he alredy prepay for the month so i own him one visit.

well in my contract there is small letters that say 25 dollar cancellation fee. i know he will not pay me if i let him the cancellation contract letter. No way and really i don't want to the whole process for 25 bucks.

im planing on leaving him a check whit the partial payment and take the 25 bucks out off it.

oh he call me today to ask me if i was going to go and service his lawn i toll him i was in the area and that i will be leaving him a check for the money i own him.

SO WHAT WILL BE THE RIGHT THING TO DO ANY ADVISE :cool:

jrayb39667
09-16-2012, 12:51 AM
Seems to me that you have it already figured out. Cut him a check for the last cut minus the $25.

Sprinkler Buddy
09-16-2012, 07:21 AM
Could you not have sprayed the grass coming into the beds, making the customer happy and making it easy to maintain. Or is there to many flowers,etc.. and has to be done by hand?

Bermuda grass is impossible to pull by hand!

shadrach
09-16-2012, 08:49 AM
A weed is a plant growing in a place that it is not desired. Grass growing into a landscape bed would be considered a weed. You need to make adjustments to your contract to cover this situation, not homeowners fault that you are not charging properly for your time.

avetslawncare
09-16-2012, 09:15 AM
That is possibly one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. First off, your spelling and grammar are so awful, I had trouble reading and understanding what you were talking about.

Why not pull the weeds? Spend the extra couple of minutes. This could make your clients yard look better and you could potentially gain more customers. You may want to consider adding "spraying beds", once a month into the contract....your yards will look better, your customers will be happier and it is another service you can make a few bucks off.

I do not like the idea of a "cancellation fee".....If you provide a good service, you shouldn't have to worry about people canceling.

Apex Lawn & Landscape
09-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Shadrach is spot on. This customer seems to be an egotistical bit*h who will spend a $1000 just to get his $50 back and to make it known that he won...I'd do what your planning and cut him a check . Best of luck

CHEESE2009
09-16-2012, 10:58 AM
he had to call me every month

Run away.

lol

Grass Doctor
09-16-2012, 07:02 PM
Could you not have sprayed the grass coming into the beds, making the customer happy and making it easy to maintain. Or is there to many flowers,etc.. and has to be done by hand?

i try that with a selective hervicide i dind work, since is grass, plus he have some ornamental grasses inside the planter i dint want to replace the plants taking a chance.

Grass Doctor
09-16-2012, 07:40 PM
A weed is a plant growing in a place that it is not desired. Grass growing into a landscape bed would be considered a weed. You need to make adjustments to your contract to cover this situation, not homeowners fault that you are not charging properly for your time.

i get what u saying but i did not do this planter and i charge 5.00, 7.50 or whatever for taking care of nice planter if the planter is really bad full of weeds i will tell the client that he will need a initial clean up,for me to start taking care of the desire flower bed. i have landscaping biz not a lawn maintenace, so lawn maintenance its just about number games to keep me busy between (patio construction, landscape design etc) you will be surprise of how little 5.00 can do when u multiplied that times 50 x 12 months in the year, i really dont agree on not charging properly, this hand weed pulling its design to work on clean flower beds that just need minimal weed pulling(crabgrass, dandelion, dollar weed, clover not grass). i do agree on being more specific in my contracts thank u.

Grass Doctor
09-16-2012, 07:56 PM
That is possibly one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. First off, your spelling and grammar are so awful, I had trouble reading and understanding what you were talking about.

Why not pull the weeds? Spend the extra couple of minutes. This could make your clients yard look better and you could potentially gain more customers. You may want to consider adding "spraying beds", once a month into the contract....your yards will look better, your customers will be happier and it is another service you can make a few bucks off.

I do not like the idea of a "cancellation fee".....If you provide a good service, you shouldn't have to worry about people canceling.

sorry for your inconvenience of the awful spelling English. english its not my first language and i dint when to school in the states. i try doing my best but i always have some problems getting my verbs together i did when to university in my old country Honduras. but what really surprise me its that i am new to this biz going in to my second year and i already figure out that there is a good amount of clientele out there that will appreciate the good work, and a service that meet their necessities but there is a certain part of the clientele that are cheap, and have nothing better to do than **** with their lawn monkey cause they believe that they can do it their self and feel pain when they pay you. my contracts are year round even if i don't have to mow in winter and believe people love it and my cancellation fee its design to discourage cheap and pain in the assssssssss clientele. if u use commonsense you will get what im trying to write even if i miss spell.:eek:

Grass Doctor
09-16-2012, 08:03 PM

i am not big in weed killers since i am more focus in the organic side. so there is very little room to use as organic grass killer most of what i use is selective herbicide and he have some little English grass so if i use any other than weed selective herbicide will kill the other stuff.

i offer the solution to guy for penny's and he dint want to take it.

shadrach
09-16-2012, 08:45 PM
i get what u saying but i did not do this planter and i charge 5.00, 7.50 or whatever for taking care of nice planter if the planter is really bad full of weeds i will tell the client that he will need a initial clean up,for me to start taking care of the desire flower bed. i have landscaping biz not a lawn maintenace, so lawn maintenance its just about number games to keep me busy between (patio construction, landscape design etc) you will be surprise of how little 5.00 can do when u multiplied that times 50 x 12 months in the year, i really dont agree on not charging properly, this hand weed pulling its design to work on clean flower beds that just need minimal weed pulling(crabgrass, dandelion, dollar weed, clover not grass). i do agree on being more specific in my contracts thank u.

Some sort of rewording to cover "excessive growth" so you are not stuck with the $5. There is no incentive for him to have you fix the bed properly, the $5 a month is cheaper. Bermuda grass is a pain to keep out of beds & even if you take care of it, it eventually comes back - that is what I was referring to on the charging properly part. The guy sounds like a pain in the a$$ - if it was not this, it would have been something else later (wording made it easier for him though)

Grass Doctor
09-16-2012, 09:03 PM
Some sort of rewording to cover "excessive growth" so you are not stuck with the $5. There is no incentive for him to have you fix the bed properly, the $5 a month is cheaper. Bermuda grass is a pain to keep out of beds & even if you take care of it, it eventually comes back - that is what I was referring to on the charging properly part. The guy sounds like a pain in the a$$ - if it was not this, it would have been something else later (wording made it easier for him though)

aaah that's why i stop doing it, trying to push it him to do the flower bed right but no he happily stop paying the 5.00 bucks i then he call me after 2 months of not cleaning the ****tt and ask me when i was going to do it :eek: okay :D:D:D. he was in my black book any way.

shadrach
09-16-2012, 09:34 PM
he happily stop paying the 5.00 bucks
Misunderstood that part from the original post.

Steve
09-17-2012, 11:51 AM
he was in my black book any way.

I am guessing what you mean is this customer was already a problem? And this was the last issue that finally ended for you and him?

Were you looking to get rid of this customer anyway or are you interested in still salvaging the relationship?

avetslawncare
09-17-2012, 04:12 PM
If English is your second language, I apologize. For all those other people out there with grammar issues....spell check. The reason I say this is because I cannot tell you the number of customers that I pick up from Craigslist.....simply because they say they can tell I put some time into my "ad" and have a better understanding of what they will be getting for their money.

Grass Doctor
09-17-2012, 08:06 PM
I am guessing what you mean is this customer was already a problem? And this was the last issue that finally ended for you and him?

Were you looking to get rid of this customer anyway or are you interested in still salvaging the relationship?

yeah he was the bad apple in my basket.

Steve
09-18-2012, 11:30 AM
Well I guess sometimes, we can only take so much from a problem customer and if we have too many problems with them, it's just better to move on.

Do you think you would have handled this situation differently if you wanted to keep the customer?

Grass Doctor
09-19-2012, 02:50 AM
Well I guess sometimes, we can only take so much from a problem customer and if we have too many problems with them, it's just better to move on.

Do you think you would have handled this situation differently if you wanted to keep the customer?

i sure could, but this guy men what a pain in the a$$ he call me monday demanding me to go and drop the 40 bucks i owned him :D:D:D i said i will see the contract but most likely u owned me 25 cancellation fee.

OMG :confused: he starts going on, i just said ill call u latter. yesterday he call me again txt me i finally answer: yes u going to own me 25.00 Noooo again ok thats all i have to said bye. he txt me that he was going to sue me etc.

i txt him go ahead and sue me please so that way, u end paying me for September, October , and November plus the cancellation fee:D:D:D:D:D i was going to give you a favor by returning ur 15.00 but now i wont give you nothing since i have a conversation recorded that, u said just dont come no more before mowing day and u verbaly avoided the contract.

4 hour later he txt me its ok, u are funny dude what comes around goes around.:D:D:D:D

i just txt him back: for sure it will, good luck then.

now i wont even give him his 15.00 back.:eek:

i have a feeling he will be calling me for a long time.:rolleyes: