PDA

View Full Version : FREE GARAGE - Interesting Offer from a Client

Hedgemaster
09-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Some background:

I have a cluster of 7 accounts on one street in the city.
Four next to each other on one side. Three next to each other directly across from them. Of those three, two have a shared driveway and of those two, one of them owns a second home literally around the corner. (I cut that one as well and cut for five others within a half mile of that)

The people with two homes had begun moving things into the second home recently and it was unclear as to what they were going to do with the home they had been in - the one with the shared drive. The lady next to them (with the shared drive) is 90 years old. Nice lady who I always humor by allowing her to tell me about the "old days" and the history of the neighborhood.

Months ago the elderly lady mentioned that she's afraid that the neighbors may sell their home - she was concerned about who may buy it. After so many years with good neighbors, it's understandable that she would be concerned.

Today she called me.

"Hi, I wanted to ask you something and it doesn't have anything to do with mowing the lawn."
She asked if Bill had told me he's putting the house on the market. "No", I replied.
"Well, he is, and I have a proposal for you."
"You buy his house and I will give you my garage and shed for your mower and tools", she said.

:eek: LOL! WHAT?!!! I didn't say anything at first, and she continued...

"I thought that it would be good for you since you have so many clients here and I would get a good neighbor!"

Oh boy. It was hard not to laugh at the offer. The house is selling for probably twice what my own home is worth, it has a back yard about 15' deep and the shared drive is up a steep incline leading to a one car garage. It's in the city - there's no room for anything, but she doesn't know that I have a trailer and other equipment I need to store - all she ever sees is my 21" push mower because those lawns are all tiny and I don't take my trailer on "city days".

It's in one of the nicer sections of the city, but I could never live in such an area - it's just not my thing.

Can't say that I've ever had an "offer" like that before - "Buy my neighbor's house and I'll give you my garage!" Too funny.

Steve
09-12-2012, 11:23 AM
That is very interesting! Well you gotta say she must really think highly of you and that is a good thing.

Who knows, she might come back with a second offer to buy the house for you if you move in :)

CHEESE2009
09-12-2012, 02:53 PM
90 years old eh?

She hot?

Hedgemaster
09-12-2012, 03:54 PM
90 years old eh?

She hot?

Dude, she doesn't look a day over 85.

Rrroowwww...

Hedgemaster
09-12-2012, 05:21 PM
That is very interesting! Well you gotta say she must really think highly of you and that is a good thing.

Who knows, she might come back with a second offer to buy the house for you if you move in :)

She did also directly compliment me in that "You do nice work, but beyond that, I can tell you're a decent person who would make a wonderful neighbor."

I thanked her for the compliment while passing on her "offer".