PDA

View Full Version : Sharp

Matther777
09-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Hey what do you guys use to sharpen mower blades? I know grinders work well but can be pricey. Are there cheaper ways?

LawnBoy0311
09-10-2012, 06:39 PM
i have a bench grinder made by ryobi. i think i paid like $45 for it at home depot.

wat5150
09-10-2012, 06:48 PM
I use an angle grinder. A lot of people like to use bench grinders. Both are actually inexpensive to buy.

Lopes Lawn Care
09-10-2012, 07:39 PM
If you wanna safe some serious coin you can try hand filing it. Probably cost you under $10 and your entire weekend. :p

But seriously, they do sell some cheap grinders now a days. Tag sales and flea markets along with craigslist might be good places to look for some used deals.

SECTLANDSCAPING
09-10-2012, 07:41 PM
You can get a angle grinder for $20-$40 and a bench for $40-$60. Thats less then it would cost to pay someone to sharpen a few sets of blades.

The only expensive grinder is the ones specifically made for sharpening blades.

Matther777
09-10-2012, 09:05 PM
Cool I did not know that. When I looked it had all these special made grinders for blades for over $100 I was thinking uhhh really? So I will definitely look into these grinders. Thank you everyone for your help:D

wandfsmall
09-11-2012, 08:21 AM
Cool I did not know that. When I looked it had all these special made grinders for blades for over $100 I was thinking uhhh really? So I will definitely look into these grinders. Thank you everyone for your help:D

it all depends on the quality of job you are trying to do, the blade grinders give you the correct angle and do a better job. However a bench grinder is much cheaper and will take metal off of the blade and is better then nothing.

jrayb39667
09-11-2012, 10:10 PM
I hate a bench grinder and I refuse to pay $1100 for an oregon sharpener. the problem with a bench grinder is it's very difficult to keep the same angle, you will get a sharp edge but the edge will be very inconsistent (thinner & thicker along the edge) I use a 4-1/2" angle grinder with 36 grit flap discs and a vice to sharpen mine. I am sure my angle isn't perfect but I think this is much better than a bench grinder.

Steve
09-12-2012, 11:17 AM
the problem with a bench grinder is it's very difficult to keep the same angle,

Couldn't you make some kind of jig to hold / rest it against and get the perfect angle each time?

jrayb39667
09-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Couldn't you make some kind of jig to hold / rest it against and get the perfect angle each time?

you probably could but most people don't have the tools to make the jig. What I did before I could afford a vice is got a cheap C-clamp and clamped the blade to the angle iron on the top of my open trailer. You can go to a pawn shop and find a decent grinder for pretty cheap & C-clamps are pretty cheap too.

Von Bobbeh
09-13-2012, 11:34 PM
I use a bench grinder and then a 22" mill file to get 'er really smooth

wandfsmall
09-14-2012, 07:41 AM

most bench grinders have a rest that you can use to get a better edge. Personally I think they do a better job then a hand held grinder. But they do not do as good of a job as a blade grinder. The big thing on a ztr is balancing the blades though and that is hard to do with either grinder.