PDA

View Full Version : Ariens riding mower question

dlc7101
09-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Hi Guys,
I currently have a Ariens 42" Riding Mower, I've noticed that on the top of the engine (I think its the flywheel) theres a lot of rust getting around the edge and weakening the spark making it run rough. Is there anything that I could spray on it to stop this buildup and eliminate the need for me to wire brush it often? Would WD-40 work or would it stop or weaken the spark more??
Thanks in advance
Joe

jrayb39667
09-05-2012, 08:19 PM
It shouldn't be rusting unless it's being left out in rain or it is being kept in a very moist environment. I don't know of anything other than telling you to try to keep it in a drier place when not in use.

wandfsmall
09-05-2012, 10:40 PM
Hi Guys,
I currently have a Ariens 42" Riding Mower, I've noticed that on the top of the engine (I think its the flywheel) theres a lot of rust getting around the edge and weakening the spark making it run rough. Is there anything that I could spray on it to stop this buildup and eliminate the need for me to wire brush it often? Would WD-40 work or would it stop or weaken the spark more??
Thanks in advance
Joe

Nothing will really stay on the flywheel after you start the engine. I also find WD40 useless as it attracts dirt and makes most problems worse. I use fluid film.

stevef1201
09-06-2012, 06:06 AM
I, unfortunatly, have no sheltered storage. So I have a tarp that I cover my mowers with at the end of the day. Seems to help.

Steve
09-07-2012, 11:05 AM
I'd say just throw a cover over it when not in use. How often do you have to use a wire wheel on it?