PDA

View Full Version : French drain system

xandrew245x
09-05-2012, 09:04 AM
Hey guys, my house has a finished basement with an internal french drain and sump pump. It works great, except this week my sump pump apparently wasn't able to keep up and my basement flooded. I hate the internal french drain system for the fact so many things can go wrong.

Looking at the front of my house, the right side and front have good slope away from the house, but the left side has a slope coming from the neighbors property on to mine and the back side of the house is relatively flat. The left side of the house is where sump pump is located, and where I think 99% of the water enters the internal french drain.

I am thinking that a lot of my water problems are coming from surface water running onto my property on the left side of my house during heavy rain storms, water usually only enters my sump during downpours, or if there was a steady rain throughout the day.

My idea is to install a shallow french drain along the back side and left side of my house and run it down into my front yard, I think this would help alleviate the surface water and potentially keep a lot of water from entering my internal french drain. What do you guys think?

I will get some pictures tonight so you have a better idea of whats going on.

SECTLANDSCAPING
09-05-2012, 11:25 AM
You can get a sealer and seal the concrete foundation. This usually helps with water seeping through.

xandrew245x
09-05-2012, 12:01 PM
Everything is sealed, it has an internal french drain, the sump pump got overwhelmed and overflowed.

SECTLANDSCAPING
09-05-2012, 12:13 PM
Everything is sealed, it has an internal french drain, the sump pump got overwhelmed and overflowed.

The easy solution would be a bigger pump.

xandrew245x
09-05-2012, 02:00 PM
I have only lived there a year and it overflowed, the people before us lived there or over 10 years and never had a problem, the pump isn't undersized, and in my opinion was a freak accident that the insurance should cover.

Isn't that the point of insurance

Steve
09-05-2012, 02:17 PM
Could you make a deeper french drain on that side of the house and seal up the internal french drain? Would that help?