PDA

View Full Version : do you include edging in your weekly price?

FentonC
09-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Do you include edging in your weekly price or do you charge extra when it needs to be done?

Johnny_boy02
09-04-2012, 10:39 PM
I dont see how you could not include edging. A unedged yard looks like garbage. I had a few properties that I could skip a week here and there in winter but it should always be done as part of a yard service.

Apex Lawn & Landscape
09-04-2012, 10:56 PM
Include it! Seriously how much longer does it really take? There are too many guys in our line of work to not include it. My weekly service includes mow-trim-blow-edge & removal of trash,debri...hell I even grab their paper and trash cans! It's the little things. Best of luck.

Steve
09-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Including this service is a great way to stand out from others and to make your lawns stand out from neighboring properties.

Pointing this out in your marketing may help you gain more customers too!

AkersLawn
09-05-2012, 06:15 PM
This seems like a good idea to include edging ...
I have a landlord that has quite a few properties around town that i manage. Really good client as far as always havving work, and we have a great relationship. (old family friend).
But, she had me edge one property for her a while back. I charged her .. .96 cents per linear foot. I did 280 feet. It took me probably an hour and a half. But then you are left with the waste. This property hadnt been edged in 20 years I bet. Some places were a foot off of the end of the sidewalk. It weighed just under 1800 pounds of debris. Although I am set up for this brilliantly, All that dirt/sod is a huge pain in the A*s. If a customer already has a well maintained yard, excellent idea to include this service, but be careful advertising it.

Steve
09-07-2012, 10:55 AM
Do you include edging in your weekly price or do you charge extra when it needs to be done?

Has this discussion at all changed the way you use edging in your service?

jrayb39667
09-07-2012, 10:14 PM
If I take on a new customer and it looks like it hasn't been edged in a year or more then I charge more for the first edging. After that edging is included in my service. A lot of guys around here either don't offer or charge more for edging and I find that it's a way to offer something extra that will keep the customer happy.

Steve
09-10-2012, 01:09 PM
When you talk to your customers initially during your bidding process, how do they react when you point out their lawn could use edging and initially there would be an upcharge for that?

jrayb39667
09-10-2012, 09:45 PM
When you talk to your customers initially during your bidding process, how do they react when you point out their lawn could use edging and initially there would be an upcharge for that?

Most are ok with it. I have had some say, well I think it would be ok without edging. I will go ahead and edge it without charging more any way. I can't stand a yard looking nice with a bad looking walkway / driveway with my company name behind it. I consider this to be another "extra" that will keep them from switching to a different company when approached by another lawn service company. I live in a very small town which is a designated retirement town. Everyone knows everyone and when the elderly people get together at the coffee shops / diners they all talk about who does their lawn and what they like about it lol. I gained a yard this season because the neighbor of my client didn't like how their lawn looked better than hers. She also instructed me that I had to cut hers the same day as my current client so as her yard wouldn't look better than hers at any time lol. These elderly people give me a chuckle a lot of times when they compete with each other on the way their lawn looks.

h_soape
09-12-2012, 07:50 AM
In my market, edging is a given. Once the edge is set it is easy to maintain.
Just be prepared to make additional charges for the intial visit if it is overgrown.