PDA

View Full Version : What does it take to make it?

Steve
12-16-2007, 02:07 AM
I thought this was a fascinating dialogue between an ambitious teen and a veteran business man. What is your view on this teen's view on work and business? Does he have what it takes to make it?

Is this view more of the norm or no? Have you seen others with this kind of view?

For The Love Of MONEY John Silvera, an ambitious teen, and Frank Morsani, a successful businessman, trade thoughts on hard work, education and what it takes to get rich (http://www2.tbo.com/content/2007/dec/16/bz-for-the-love-of-money-john-silvera-an-ambitious/) - "I don't want to work for anyone. I like my own rules. I tried a couple things before and failed. I tried a lawn mowing business. There's a lot of competition.

I tried something to do with alternative fuel as far as natural gas and propane. I failed at that too. I run into things I can't help. So I move into this. If I fail this one, I'll probably move onto something else. Nine out of 10 businesses fail, so I'm going to build 10 to get one. ...

I don't have a lot of faith in the educational system here. I think for the most part it's obsolete. I studied for 12 years, and I'm not ever using calculus or advanced literature. It doesn't teach you how to be a success in life."

"know how to work, and I've worked a lot; I just don't like to. It's hard to get up at 7 or 6 a.m. and hard to carry stuff around, and I just don't want to do it. I don't want my dad to do it, and I don't want my kids to have to do it, either."

realhuntin
12-16-2007, 02:34 AM
He probibily will he is of the TECHNO generation, as a baby of the BABY BOOMERS I see where the new and latest gizmo's and gadgets that are at the hands of these techno kids are moving both the baby boomers and my generation to the side, with all this feelings stuff and not wanting to wait, not understanding that DAD worked for 25 years putting him in his 40's before he got the big house, cars every other year and other monitary items, such as larger salaries. Now these TECHNO KIDS are just that kids. The avg college grads moves home and wonders around for at least 2 yrs before entering into the work force.

There is a whole artical on this on 60 min i think. I will look it up. Kinda reminded me of myself when I was in my 20's wanting everything now and not wanting to wait for it, but at that time it was just how Society was then and now it is leaning more and more to the TECHNO KIDS way.

Just my thoughts

Steve
12-16-2007, 03:24 AM
Ultimately, reflecting on this, is this something of a new phenomenon or is this how it always was and always will be?

Do you think there are less entrepreneurs now in their early 20's or more compare to 10 or 20 years ago?

realhuntin
12-17-2007, 10:01 AM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Dec. 16 2007,4:24)]Ultimately, reflecting on this, is this something of a new phenomenon or is this how it always was and always will be?

Do you think there are less entrepreneurs now in their early 20's or more compare to 10 or 20 years ago?
Well I feel it is a New Way of life and business and it is here to stay.

As far as more entrepreneurs, yes. I feel there are more men and women not wanting to follow traditional ways of life and being in the work force of yesteryears. You're going to see more and more younger men and women working in home offices, as so called independent contractors of some sort or starting some type of business.

Steve
12-17-2007, 10:12 AM
Quote[/b] ]As far as more entrepreneurs, yes. I feel there are more men and women not wanting to follow traditional ways of life and being in the work force of yesteryears. You're going to see more and more younger men and women working in home offices, as so called independent contractors of some sort or starting some type of business.

What's your view on how this will effect our country and society?