PDA

View Full Version : What is this witchcraft?!

CHEESE2009
09-01-2012, 12:03 PM
This is so cool.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qWH6B3i5D4A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SECTLANDSCAPING
09-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Thats Sodium hypochlorite with some other additives.

The problem is it slightly damages the wood. I wouldnt use it on a expensive material.

Hedgemaster
09-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Thats Sodium hypochlorite with some other additives.

The problem is it slightly damages the wood. I wouldnt use it on a expensive material.

Would you say that's an application favored by "scam artists"?

I mean, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

Martywdx
09-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Would you say that's an application favored by "scam artists"?

I mean, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

My first thought was that is just bleach water

Doing a quick web search. Sodium hypochlorite, is just beach /Clorox.

SECTLANDSCAPING
09-01-2012, 03:54 PM
My first thought was that is just bleach water

Doing a quick web search. Sodium hypochlorite, is just beach /Clorox.

sorta.... Sodium hypochlorite is the active ingredient in bleach. Household bleach is 3-5% sodium hypochlorite. The outdoor clorox is around 6%. If you bought chlorine it would be 12%. If you bought a bottle of just Sodium hypochlorite it would be 100%.

I tend to think hes buying the chemicals and mixing himself. To make a more powerful cleaning product. Or hes buying a expensive premix.

I did a deck like this before and I could see the acid eating the wood. The damage was noticeable without even putting the pressure washer on. This can be somewhat reversed by using a wood restorer or staining afterwards. Another thing not shown in the video is you cant let this stuff dry.

Hedgemaster
09-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Well that sucks.

I was going to rig up a walk-trough sprayer to make me "like new" after I come home from a hard days work.

:(

Steve
09-04-2012, 12:05 PM
I sure the dog barking, wasn't behind that fence he was spraying with bleach!

The Cleaning Doctor
09-05-2012, 05:42 PM
You can not buy just straight sodium hypochlorite as it comes in 12% solutions. 100% is not available to the general business as there is no 100%. Pools use calcium hypochlorite and that is a different chemical all together. There are some that use the bleach for pools but that is usually around 10%.

The problem is that it degrades over time. It may be pumped into barrels at 20% but by the time you get the drum it is around 12%. bleach in the store is normally packaged at 6% but degrades to 3% and then holds there for a while. Chlorine is a gas and not a liquid.

Because of the quickness of the color change I would say he is using nearly a straight mix or 50/50 sh and water. What he fails to mention is that until it dries, it keeps getting lighter and the wood can actually turn nearly white. Bleach is used in pulp mills to break down the wood fibers in the paper making process. Now I have used a little of it on a large fence where it was more cost effective because in my lifetime (and the homeowner) you are not going to go through a 1/2 inch piece of cedar by cleaning it with bleach.

Steve
09-07-2012, 10:52 AM
Scott you should make a new video where you talk about the benefits of paint and then use a paint sprayer to spray on this magical paint which actually coasts the wood and gives it a new color :D