PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Have Stihl issues?

Lopes Lawn Care
08-30-2012, 07:49 PM
So I'm just wondering if anyone has any issues running newer Stihl products. I'm asking cause this year I invested $2,000 in a blower, a trimmer and 2 hedge trimmers. The trimmer(weed wacker) pisses oil and I just got the blower back from the shop. Had a bent rod from the bearings getting over heated. They had to replace the block. It was still covered so that was good. It's less then a year old and it obviously didn't get used during the winter.

The funny thing is that I've been using a home depot echo that I bought 5 years ago now and the thing still starts up first pull. Go fu**king figure. :mad:

CHEESE2009
08-30-2012, 07:50 PM
You should have titled this, "Anyone STIHL have problems?"

:)

I'm a clever s.o.b I tell ya

HPI_Savage25
08-30-2012, 08:10 PM
Nope I haven't had any issues. Down here Stihl is the only thing people will run with the few running Echo.

I have a BR600 blower that I bought about 6months ago. A FS90 weed eater that is about 3-4 years old. An edger that is about a year old and a chainsaw that I just bought about 2 months ago. I have had Zero issues out of all of these items. Only thing I have had to do to the weed eater is replace the carb bubbles a few times from it getting brittle and cracking.

mark123
08-30-2012, 08:45 PM
I used to have issues with Stihl. Tons of issues with Stihl. Then I suddenly stopped having Stihl issues when I switched everything over to Echo.

SECTLANDSCAPING
08-30-2012, 09:18 PM
I have about 8-10 pieces of equipment and the only problem I had was a muffler screen on the backpack.

Lopes Lawn Care
08-30-2012, 10:41 PM
hahaha yeah that would have been a great title.

Maybe i just got some bunk s**t then. Hopefully the hedge trimmers aren't part of this.

I do like their equipment and the br600 is pretty nice and easier on my back then my shindaiwa.

Don't think I'm gonna put all my eggs in one brand anymore though.

SECTLANDSCAPING
08-31-2012, 08:52 AM
I would try running the synthetic stihl oil in the 4mix and stihl oil in the others. I put regular two stroke oil in my fs90 and the next time I used it had a no start. It did start after a few mins but that trimmer has always been flawless.

wandfsmall
08-31-2012, 09:20 AM
I would try running the synthetic stihl oil in the 4mix and stihl oil in the others. I put regular two stroke oil in my fs90 and the next time I used it had a no start. It did start after a few mins but that trimmer has always been flawless.

That's the key, you need to use a decent oil mix none of that cheap trash they mostly sell at box stores. I don't even recommend the 100:1 mix as I think they are too light and can destroy equipment.

Lopes Lawn Care
08-31-2012, 01:12 PM
Yeah see that's the thing I can't figure out. My trimmer just leaves a bunch of what looks like oil spray all over the inside of the exhaust cover. I'm running 50:1 mix and using 89 for the gas and the 2 stroke Stihl ultra single gallon for the oil end of things. I'm mixing it right and can't seem to get this issue to stop. I've brought it to the dealer and they told me I'm running it too rich but I'm not mixing it rich and NONE of my other equipment has any oil residue being discharged from it.

I have no clue what happened to the blower cause I'm not a 20 lawn a day guy and have no idea how the bearings could of overheated bending the rod. I'm guessing it was a manufactures issue since it was fully covered and no questions were asked.

Just wanted to see if anyone had ever had the same issues.

Hedgemaster
08-31-2012, 06:08 PM
That's the key, you need to use a decent oil mix none of that cheap trash they mostly sell at box stores. I don't even recommend the 100:1 mix as I think they are too light and can destroy equipment.

This is season #3 for my Stihl FS90R. Season 1 it saw very little use BTW.

I've used the Stihl synthetic oil since day one.

A month or so ago it started acting up. It would bog down while running occasionally (although I think this was a result of getting wet) and became increasingly difficult to start as the day went on. First start of the day it would start right up - no need to choke or even prime most times, but after that - 5, 6, 8 pulls... wtf? Then it started to stall while using it.
I took it in for service and they cleaned the carb, changed the plug, and "adjusted" something.

That was a month ago - it's starting to get hard to start again.

I doubt it has anything to do with the oil, but man, this is getting annoying.
At $60 for the service I mentioned, how is that better to spend ANOTHER $60 than just buying a new one?

wandfsmall
08-31-2012, 07:18 PM
This is season #3 for my Stihl FS90R. Season 1 it saw very little use BTW.

I've used the Stihl synthetic oil since day one.

A month or so ago it started acting up. It would bog down while running occasionally (although I think this was a result of getting wet) and became increasingly difficult to start as the day went on. First start of the day it would start right up - no need to choke or even prime most times, but after that - 5, 6, 8 pulls... wtf? Then it started to stall while using it.
I took it in for service and they cleaned the carb, changed the plug, and "adjusted" something.

That was a month ago - it's starting to get hard to start again.

I doubt it has anything to do with the oil, but man, this is getting annoying.
At $60 for the service I mentioned, how is that better to spend ANOTHER $60 than just buying a new one?

let me guess they adjusted the valves? that is a problem with a 4mix unit that is also why I sell Redmax equipment NO VALVES

Lopes Lawn Care
08-31-2012, 09:55 PM
Yeah, mine (trimmer) keeps getting build up on the spark plug. I'll clean it and it will start first pull for a few days then back to 4 pulls on choke and then 1 with it off. This all has to do with it running rich. I just don't wanna cut it down and then run the risk of blowing up another piece of equipment running it lean.

My 5 yr old home depot echo blower still starts first pull after years of running sh**ty gas in it with home depot/walmart 2 cycle. That is when i first started doing stuff here and there and didn't know better. Although now I'm thinking who cares. It's all sh**! :)

Johnny_boy02
09-02-2012, 09:53 PM
I have never had any issues other than regular wear and tear. I always run premium fuel and Stihl mix at the recommended ratio.

Shark1611
11-13-2013, 06:02 PM
So I'm just wondering if anyone has any issues running newer Stihl products. I'm asking cause this year I invested $2,000 in a blower, a trimmer and 2 hedge trimmers. The trimmer(weed wacker) pisses oil and I just got the blower back from the shop. Had a bent rod from the bearings getting over heated. They had to replace the block. It was still covered so that was good. It's less then a year old and it obviously didn't get used during the winter.

The funny thing is that I've been using a home depot echo that I bought 5 years ago now and the thing still starts up first pull. Go fu**king figure. :mad:

I tried stihl and no more. For the last three years I use all RedMax. Awesome product and not near as expensive.

Ronnie Tomassetti
11-17-2013, 10:43 AM
I bought a trimmer 8 years ago. It was good trimmer till my guys killed it. ( 5 seasons). Now I am buying eco. Its easier to run to home depot than run to the supplier.

Steve
11-18-2013, 11:48 AM
Now I am buying eco. Its easier to run to home depot than run to the supplier.

How long do you feel they will last? Will it be worthwhile if they don't last long?