PDA

View Full Version : Tires....!

Chaz
08-29-2012, 09:02 PM
I have good equipment, I have a civic, two trucks two trailers and the thing that i seem to have the most problems with are my tires!

I bought a new gravely mower this year, I have had to repair 1 of the rear tires within the first 2 or 3 hours of use, i guess i ran over something so i plugged it.

The front tires on this machine have given me lots of problems though. Today I just replaced the second of the two front tires. (138 hours)

earlier this year, shortly after buying my dump trailer I lost a tire, the sidewall blew out on it, that was $140 to replace that

I get like 1 flat on my civic a year it seems. last year the sidewall blew out this year it just got a hole or something not even sure.

This year I have bought 13 tires, 4 for my truck, 4 for my car, 2 for my utility trailer, 1 for my dump trailer, 2 for my mower, and 1 tube (for my wheelbarrow), and now my four-wheeler needs two new ones

Does anyone else have any tire troubles? if not, what is it that gets you like tires get me?

Hedgemaster
08-29-2012, 09:38 PM
I'm 44 years old and I don't think I've bought 14 tires in my entire vehicle-owning time on this earth.

LOL, not really, but wow, that's a lotta' tires in a short period of time.

I probably shouldn't say this, but I've never had a flat, or any other problem with a tire. I even had a tire where I found three objects that were completely punctured through the tire and it never lost air. I couldn't believe it. I pulled them out and plugged them. A nail, some piece of random metal, and a huge bolt that went in threaded end first and it was in there long enough for the head to wear off. Never lost air in that tire - I just happened to spot it when I had it up on the rack washing it. (I worked at a gas station at the time)

CHEESE2009
08-29-2012, 09:40 PM
Last year was terrible for me with tires.

We have a lot of construction in my city, I've had to replace my trailers tires every friggen month because of nails and crazy potholes.

Same with the tractors.

-

I believe there is a way for you to fill the tires with a foam/gel, so that when they are penetrated (kinky), nothing will happen for them to deflate. I've heard of this before, never looked into it.

SECTLANDSCAPING
08-29-2012, 09:43 PM
I bought 4 truck tires (were slashed).
2 tires for my trailer. 1 was dry rot the other was the wrong size.
2 front ztr tires and 1 rim. A guy drove into a curb.
2 tubes for the rear. I popped 1 tube putting it on. This happen because the rear tire is wider then the deck and I sideswiped a sharp rock.
2 front tires for my civic. These were worn.

So I'm at 10 tires and 2 tubes.

Steve
08-30-2012, 11:43 AM
The front tires on this machine have given me lots of problems though. Today I just replaced the second of the two front tires.

What happened to them?

Also, do you feel there is a common theme with most of your tire problems? Could this be something that could be avoided?

SECTLANDSCAPING
08-30-2012, 11:59 AM
What happened to them?

Also, do you feel there is a common theme with most of your tire problems? Could this be something that could be avoided?

I think we should all switch to run flat tires.

Chaz
08-30-2012, 04:05 PM
What happened to them?

The front tires on my gravely were the worst tires ever, I paid for the first one then the second one the guy who does warranties saw it and said that it should be covered under warranty.

The problems they had is that;

They were soft, like softer than bicycle tires, not firm at all
They always went down, so i put a gel in them that cost $1 an ounce. (150 for all 4 tires)
Then the second one still went down after the gel because the tire had two layers and they would separate somehow then leak down, so it would have this huge whelp on the tire and if u tried to put the correct psi in it, the bitch would explode (the first one did).

Mostly bad luck is what id say is the culprit for my tire issues. I don't have anyone else run my equipment, live in the country so the roads are decent.

Lopes Lawn Care
08-30-2012, 07:15 PM
I was just thinking about this issue today as i filling all my mower tires for the 3rd time this week. I would like for once not to have to worry about the air in my damn tires. I wonder how pricey run flat tries are. It might be worth it for the piece of mind. Too bad they don't make them for cars/trucks,trailers. haha

SECTLANDSCAPING
08-30-2012, 07:44 PM
I was just thinking about this issue today as i filling all my mower tires for the 3rd time this week. I would like for once not to have to worry about the air in my damn tires. I wonder how pricey run flat tries are. It might be worth it for the piece of mind. Too bad they don't make them for cars/trucks,trailers. haha

I seen 13-5-6 for $39 (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200422245_200422245). Heres another for $49 (http://www.marathonind.com/flat-free-tires/lawnmower-tires.htm)

The rear tires are gonna cost though.

Chaz
08-30-2012, 08:30 PM
yeah in my situation I don't have a air tank on my trailer (yet) and I always have to drive like 20 minutes to get some freakin air if the bead is broken

Lopes Lawn Care
08-30-2012, 10:55 PM
Thanks Sect, for some piece of mind I guess you gotta drop some loot.

As far as the air goes, I carry a small lighter type pump. Haven't tried it out yet (normally fill up at home before i split) but it might help you out.

SECTLANDSCAPING
08-30-2012, 11:03 PM
Thanks Sect, for some piece of mind I guess you gotta drop some loot.

As far as the air goes, I carry a small lighter type pump. Haven't tried it out yet (normally fill up at home before i split) but it might help you out.

Its not bad considering its a tire, rim and bearings. Kinda kicking myself for not thinking about it before.

I picked up a 12v air compressor for like $5 at a yard sale. It works like a charm.

wandfsmall
08-31-2012, 08:08 AM
Its not bad considering its a tire, rim and bearings. Kinda kicking myself for not thinking about it before.

I picked up a 12v air compressor for like $5 at a yard sale. It works like a charm.

Remember sometimes you get what you pay for, I have bought some cheap solid wheels before and refunded the money as they were trash I would not expect anyone to use. I do not know what this company is selling though.

Lopes Lawn Care
08-31-2012, 01:15 PM
It might be something you want to just try out first. Like buy 2 fronts and give them a shot. If it works out well then go ahead and get some more.

Think I might do that soon. So sick of putting air in things every morning.

SECTLANDSCAPING
08-31-2012, 04:54 PM
I been jinxed. I walked pass my truck on my way to pick up my new great dane mower and hear sssssssssssssss. Luckily it was only a valve stem.

Lopes Lawn Care
08-31-2012, 05:50 PM
Sh**ty man. Damn these things.