PDA

View Full Version : Encore Premier 36" walk behind

HPI_Savage25
08-29-2012, 07:46 PM
Ok so a buddy of mine has a 36" walk behind. Encore Premier 36" with a kawasaki engine on it.

He is asking $750 for it and looks in good shape. It is in my trailer right now and he is letting me borrow it to see if I could actually use it on any of my yards.

A lot of my yards I use a Walker GHS on with a 42" deck. I know that my bermuda/zoisia yards I wouldn't use the walk behind on as I bag those.

Just looking for everyone's thoughts on a walk behind. Also some of my yards are on hills and it is belt drive.

Pro's/Cons?

Thanks!

Steve
08-30-2012, 12:35 PM
What size properties on average do you mow?

HPI_Savage25
08-30-2012, 05:03 PM
Haha to be honest I'm not sure on the size....Guess that is mistake number one?

I'd say they are all about 1/4 of an acre.

stevef1201
08-30-2012, 06:13 PM
BELT DRIVE??? No thanks.

I know that hydros are expensive to replace but I would rather use the machine for years without worry, than carry extra drive belts in the truck and replace them in someones yard.

HPI_Savage25
08-30-2012, 06:32 PM
Haha I hear you on the belt drive. This will not be my main mower though. I have a Walker GHS that I use on a lot of my yards. Mainly all of them right now that I don't use a push mower on.

I have about 4-5 jobs I could do with this one. I figure I will get a sulky for it if I do.

I'm still deciding though...

I would love to have a 2nd walker but the funds do not allow.

dpld
08-30-2012, 08:20 PM
BELT DRIVE??? No thanks.

I know that hydros are expensive to replace but I would rather use the machine for years without worry, than carry extra drive belts in the truck and replace them in someones yard.

you do know there are belts on a hydro drive, right?

i have never in 27 years seen a drive belt brake on a standard walk behind unless the idiot who owned it was running a belt that should have been replaced like 2 years prior to it breaking.

i have one old belt drive machine left from back in the day and we use it when we got some nasty crap off the beaten path to do and keep in mind we don't use the machine at this point more then a few times a year and it is not beat up but it is not showroom condition and it will drag you up a hill or anywhere you want it to.

the biggest difference between the two is a true reverse and wet conditions but with today's newer belt drive machines they are not as affected by the belts getting wet.

paramountlawn
02-23-2013, 06:42 AM
I own a 32" encore premier. I have used it for the past four years and I love it. Mine is an older model that has dual belts on each side instead of the single thicker belt that newer models have.
I agree that wet weather is a factor on belt drive systems. You will have to clean out the pulleys frequently even in dry conditions from grass build up.
I have used mine on large 1 acre propertys to propertys with major hills. It was actually my choice mower for hill conditions as it held pretty good.

Best advice for you with belt drives is make sure your tires are inflated properly, and have good tread. Also when working with hills, keep plenty of gas in the tank. You can use a sulky/velkie with it no problem, just not on hills as the transmission wont pull you up.
I bought mine used for $400. and it will still be one of my main performers this season.
What engine and what horse power does the one your looking at have?