PDA

View Full Version : carburetor leaking gas

xandrew245x
08-28-2012, 09:48 AM
Hey guys my mom gave me her husqvarna snow blower. She bought it a couple years ago, but rarely used it and it has been sitting in the shed for 2 years. So she gave it to me to use on my driveway or if I ever get any snow removal jobs.

Well I took it out of the shed today and was going to try starting it, put some new gas in, open the fuel valve and started priming it. Once the fuel reached the carburetor it started leaking out of the carburetor. Anyone have any clue to why this would be happening?

wandfsmall
08-28-2012, 10:21 AM
Hey guys my mom gave me her husqvarna snow blower. She bought it a couple years ago, but rarely used it and it has been sitting in the shed for 2 years. So she gave it to me to use on my driveway or if I ever get any snow removal jobs.

Well I took it out of the shed today and was going to try starting it, put some new gas in, open the fuel valve and started priming it. Once the fuel reached the carburetor it started leaking out of the carburetor. Anyone have any clue to why this would be happening?

where is the gas leaking from, could be a bad bowl gasket and could be a dirty carburetor not allowing the needle to seat. cut be the bowl nut.

xandrew245x
08-28-2012, 10:42 AM
where is the gas leaking from, could be a bad bowl gasket and could be a dirty carburetor not allowing the needle to seat. cut be the bowl nut.

It was really hard to tell, the carburetor is located under a shield, it looked like it was coming out around the seal.

dpld
08-28-2012, 11:24 AM
It was really hard to tell, the carburetor is located under a shield, it looked like it was coming out around the seal.

your float valve is probably stuck open.
take the bowl off and clean the bowl, the float and float valve.

the newer fuel causes rust and crud to form from sitting and going bad.

it is a easy fix.

xandrew245x
08-28-2012, 11:44 AM
your float valve is probably stuck open.
take the bowl off and clean the bowl, the float and float valve.

the newer fuel causes rust and crud to form from sitting and going bad.

it is a easy fix.

Your right, it was easy...however while tightening the bowl back on..the bolt snapped...now what?!?!

Steve
08-28-2012, 12:55 PM
Can you grab anything with a vise grip? If not, you may have to take it off and drill it out, then retap the hole.

Take pics if you can.

wandfsmall
08-28-2012, 03:40 PM
Can you grab anything with a vise grip? If not, you may have to take it off and drill it out, then retap the hole.

Take pics if you can.

he will have to use something such as an easy out. you can not retap that hole, it is not a normal screw.

dpld
08-28-2012, 04:02 PM
Your right, it was easy...however while tightening the bowl back on..the bolt snapped...now what?!?!

well, you done dare turned a easy fix into a clusterf*#% now did'nt you?

it is just a carb man, it is not a wheel to a dump truck ha ha ha.

xandrew245x
08-28-2012, 06:20 PM
well, you done dare turned a easy fix into a clusterf*#% now did'nt you?

it is just a carb man, it is not a wheel to a dump truck ha ha ha.

Well, once I got the carb off, I discovered it was pretty simple, the bolt broke right where the veins go out from the center, so basically it made a screw, and I just turned it out with a screwdriver, now I just need to find a new bolt.

dpld
08-29-2012, 10:33 AM
Well, once I got the carb off, I discovered it was pretty simple, the bolt broke right where the veins go out from the center, so basically it made a screw, and I just turned it out with a screwdriver, now I just need to find a new bolt.

i believe if you by a new bowl or float kit it will have a new bolt.
it is not just any bolt and the kit will probably have a new O-ring with it too.

xandrew245x
08-29-2012, 10:39 AM
i believe if you by a new bowl or float kit it will have a new bolt.
it is not just any bolt and the kit will probably have a new O-ring with it too.

I found the bolt on the Internet, but I think I'm going to buy the kit with the bowl, seal and bolt.

wandfsmall
08-29-2012, 12:32 PM
I found the bolt on the Internet, but I think I'm going to buy the kit with the bowl, seal and bolt.

shipping will kill you on that if you drive by a dealership you can get it cheaper and support the local economy

xandrew245x
08-29-2012, 05:12 PM
shipping will kill you on that if you drive by a dealership you can get it cheaper and support the local economy

I would defiantly buy it from a local dealer if I could, but 90% of them close at 5 and I wouldn't be able to make it in on time to get it.

jasonw
08-29-2012, 05:22 PM
Get it tomorrow, it will still be faster and cheaper than getting it shipped, unless, do you have 10 foot of snow blocking your driveway?

xandrew245x
08-29-2012, 05:26 PM
Get it tomorrow, it will still be faster and cheaper than getting it shipped, unless, do you have 10 foot of snow blocking your driveway?

I mean, I don't have time any day to get it.

I work 730-4 then do lawn care in the evenings, I also work all day saturday.

wandfsmall
08-29-2012, 05:30 PM
I would defiantly buy it from a local dealer if I could, but 90% of them close at 5 and I wouldn't be able to make it in on time to get it.

I understand I personally stay open for people when they ask though, so you might try to work out that kind of relationship with a dealer, it would be good for your business.

xandrew245x
08-29-2012, 06:49 PM
I understand I personally stay open for people when they ask though, so you might try to work out that kind of relationship with a dealer, it would be good for your business.

Yeah, I guess it wouldn't hurt to give them a call and see what they can do.

The Cleaning Doctor
08-29-2012, 10:31 PM
Simple solutions are always there for simple problems.

Solution - YOU don't have to be the one that picks up the part. Mom, Dad, Fiance, Friend?