PDA

View Full Version : Q.8 Why did you get your business started?

Steve
08-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Here is the 8th question of the lawn care business documentary (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=17213) I want to put together. Maybe if I post the questions individually it will help get more members involved even if they simply answer the questions here. Also consider making a video of yourself answering them so I can include your viewpoint in my documentary.

8. Why did you get your business started? Was there any personal history or background to it?

Question #7 (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=17257) - Question #9 (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=17270)

Cashin H&P
08-27-2012, 07:18 PM
Honeslty I started because I was embaresed to work for the landscaping company that I had been working for. We would get sent to do jobs that the home onwer had not ok'ed yet. The final straw was when we were sent to do a fall clean up at a house that a girl I was in high school with live at. Her father came out and yelled at us and I was so embaaresd that I quit on the spot when we got back to the shop. That being said that company is not in buisness anymore. I left and never looked back. I love owning my own buisness, its so much more rewarding!

Steve
08-28-2012, 11:16 AM
What is your thought on why they did that?

Cashin H&P
08-28-2012, 11:25 AM
What is your thought on why they did that?

Complete lack of leadership and organization.

Localboyslawn
08-28-2012, 11:19 PM
I got tired of the office life. 10 years behind a desk I knew my lifestyle had to change. I enjoyed lawn care personally & had worked on a professional level with many landscapers so I knew I'd enjoy the work. And when you become "unemployable" nothing beats being your own boss.

LawnCareMan280
12-05-2012, 11:52 AM
I got my buisness started because my parents said in the summer that I should not be a couch potato with nothing too do so I started up with just family accounts and now i am starting too get non family accounts in the neighborhood.

Mowin4Dollas
12-05-2012, 12:26 PM
I started because I love mowing grass and making a landscape beautiful. Oh, being your own boss and making your own pay is purrty nice too!!!

CHEESE2009
12-05-2012, 02:11 PM
I started my company because I needed more things to complain about, and I like to complain.

Naylor's Lawncare
12-05-2012, 06:09 PM
This is my second go around with lawn care.The first i stopped because i was just to scared to go full out with it and trying to support my family.The bad thing is i had a good amount of work and got into a company that could of made a living just off them.I've always regreted that decision.Always stayed in snow removal.The company i work for pouring concrete right now is closing the doors soon so i figured what better time to make up for that mistake.I love to cut grass.I might be wierd but the smell of fresh cut grass is a natural relaxing smell to me.I can be at it for hours never think a bad thought.There is an older couple that mow here and i would exspect there in there late 70's and my wife tease me and says that going to be us.I think that would be great.

Steve
12-06-2012, 02:16 PM
The first i stopped because i was just to scared to go full out with it and trying to support my family.

Could you tell us a little more about this? How far into running your business were you when you pulled back and what did you do to pull back? Did you cancel lawn accounts you already had or something else?

Naylor's Lawncare
12-06-2012, 06:23 PM
I had eight houses and a apartment complex for one customer.It didnt pay alot because it was a government business but i still made money.I had picked up a gas station that had a pretty good amount of grass on there lot.I still did this one year after i quit because they drove me nuts till i did.I also did a parts store.I also had a three acre park area for a housing adition.But my best was a forty acre lot for a future factory site that i mantained thirty foot around the property except once a year i bushed hogged every bit of it.This company offered the new building and everything once it was built.I did all of this weekly plus still worked full time for an excavating company.Once i got to this point i should have went full time mowing.But the thought of these places alone wouldn't pay my bills and the company i worked for wanted me to work more hours.So i finished the year out and let all of my customers no in advance that i would not be mowing next year.Biggest mistake i've ever made.This all ended in 2005.I had started it in 2000.But the biggest advantage is with age i have Learn't alot about business and how to run one.Mowing has always been on my mind.I've always have done landscaping jobs and retaining walls.So since the company i work for is shuting the doors what better time.I'm so close to being ready i can see the light at the end of the tunnel.So if everything goes as planned ill be running in spring.

Steve
12-07-2012, 12:35 PM
the biggest advantage is with age i have Learn't alot about business and how to run one.

Do you have 5 top lessons you learned that you could share with the start ups reading this?

Jack Rabbit
12-12-2012, 05:27 PM
I started my business for two reasons. There were no jobs to get here and I wanted to be my own boss.

Now I have an entrepreneurial (good thing there's spelling checkers!) urge and I'm working on starting another business too.