PDA

View Full Version : netbook or tablet

xandrew245x
08-27-2012, 07:16 AM
So I was originally looking into getting a tablet to use out in the field or take with me to do things like, use the gopher software, use excel and word, and have general internet access. After looking at prices of tablets, and their limitations, I thought maybe about getting a netbook I have seen some netbooks for pretty cheap prices.

I have a macbook as my personal laptop, but really don't want to take that with me, if that gets broken or stolen, that is a pretty big chunk of money.

My first question is, how many of you use netbooks or tablets in the field to keep track of things and print invoices, estimates etc. My main intention is to have my schedule, invoices, estimate sheets and finances at my fingertips when ever I need them. I want to get a portable printer so I can easily print out invoices or estimate sheets and hand to the homeowner at the time.

The second question is if you guy use any netbooks/tablets what do you use and do you like it?

I was looking at an acer aspire one, it seems to have great reviews, its only $270, the only complaint it has is it only has 2gb of ram and it awful at multitasking, but you can upgrade it to 4gb of ram which solves the problem completely.

I wanted a windows operating system, I know they have a windows tablet, but they are ridiculously expensive.

LawnBoy0311
08-27-2012, 08:08 AM
I wish I could help you, but I don't know of anyone who uses one.

Liberty Landscaping LLC
08-27-2012, 08:24 AM
I have a cheap beat up laptop I use for this and a $40 printer. I had the same idea. It works fine

xandrew245x
08-27-2012, 10:42 AM
I have a cheap beat up laptop I use for this and a $40 printer. I had the same idea. It works fine

I have an old gaming widows laptop, but it's so big and clunky and the battery life is awful on it.

I was looking at the netbooks with the swivel touch screens, but the ram is so low, I feel they would be awful.

Im defiantly thinking about the acer netbook for $270 and then I would just need a mobile printer.

Liberty Landscaping LLC
08-27-2012, 12:26 PM
Yea I hear ya I have a crew cab printer is under the back seat there is an inverter in the truck so battery life doesnt matter.

xandrew245x
08-27-2012, 02:10 PM
Maybe i'll dig my old laptop out and see how if its even usable anymore, I know something happened and it says its not a valid copy of windows, so that could be a problem.

for $270 I could just buy a new up to date netbook with windows 7, I don't know I will think about it some more and consider my other options.

willshome
08-27-2012, 09:41 PM
I ordered a Toshiba Thrive "tablet" should be here Thursday. I want to email invoices with paypal links so they can pay right away. Email bids with photos (to point out problems or what bush should be removed...)

xandrew245x
08-28-2012, 07:37 AM
I ordered a Toshiba Thrive "tablet" should be here Thursday. I want to email invoices with paypal links so they can pay right away. Email bids with photos (to point out problems or what bush should be removed...)

The emailing bid with photos is a cool idea, I am not to fond of paypal anymore, I would rather be paid in cash or by check anymore.

I thought about a tablet, but I need something that had more capabilities than a tablet.

A netbook still gives me the portability I need, but allows me to do pretty much everything I could do at home.

CHEESE2009
08-28-2012, 09:29 AM
Get a refurbished tough-book for $40.

xandrew245x
08-28-2012, 05:26 PM
LOL, I would love to know where your getting a toughbook at for $40!

bruces
08-28-2012, 06:24 PM
I have two of the acre aspire 1 netbooks ,I paid less than $100.00 each a few years ago they were only a few months old but both needed re-formatting which takes less than 5 minutes start to finish on them .I like them ,but find the keyboard small with my sausage fingers ,not cell phone small ,but not that much better.The screens are small if you have lots going on ,but for simple billing and surfing they work great .Mine are older with xp ,but they really work fine.They fit under the seat or even in the door easily as well ,and if they walked away who cares ?.
Last summer I bought an ipad 2 when they just came out ,paid $250.00 for it from an old lady who won it at bingo and didnt want it .My daughter never puts it down ,it works fantastic ,buy a good case for it ,and it would probably work perfect for you .I am thinking of buying myself one with the 3g ,then I can send bills out anywhere easily ,but printing would be a issue on the road .
If you have an old laptop with a dead battery ,just get a 12 volt charger or a small inverter ,or if its worth it,buy a battery on ebay for little cash .

xandrew245x
08-28-2012, 07:22 PM
I have two of the acre aspire 1 netbooks ,I paid less than $100.00 each a few years ago they were only a few months old but both needed re-formatting which takes less than 5 minutes start to finish on them .I like them ,but find the keyboard small with my sausage fingers ,not cell phone small ,but not that much better.The screens are small if you have lots going on ,but for simple billing and surfing they work great .Mine are older with xp ,but they really work fine.They fit under the seat or even in the door easily as well ,and if they walked away who cares ?.
Last summer I bought an ipad 2 when they just came out ,paid $250.00 for it from an old lady who won it at bingo and didnt want it .My daughter never puts it down ,it works fantastic ,buy a good case for it ,and it would probably work perfect for you .I am thinking of buying myself one with the 3g ,then I can send bills out anywhere easily ,but printing would be a issue on the road .
If you have an old laptop with a dead battery ,just get a 12 volt charger or a small inverter ,or if its worth it,buy a battery on ebay for little cash .

I have an ipad already, and they will not work for what I need.

first off I use the gopher software, and would like to be able to use it on what ever I buy, that way i have schedualing at my fingertips, as well as bills, estimate sheets and my client list all right there, I can't do that with an ipad.

I have a keyboard case for my ipad, which I really love, and I love my ipad but tablets are limited with what they can do.

CHEESE2009
08-28-2012, 08:33 PM
LOL, I would love to know where your getting a toughbook at for $40!

Most non-franchised computer shops!

Maybe the cost is different where I am?

For the record, I'm talking about old-azz computers. (Floppy disk)

Hedgemaster
08-28-2012, 08:35 PM
I bought a laptop specifically for my business.

One of my plans was to take it with me daily.
I intended on getting Gopher software, but the lack of support left me underwhelmed, so I never got it. Without scheduling software, I really don't have a need for it in the field, so it sits on a table at home and I surf the lawn forums with it.

I use a log book (the kind made of paper) and a pen when I'm in the truck.

xandrew245x
08-28-2012, 08:58 PM
Most non-franchised computer shops!

Maybe the cost is different where I am?

For the record, I'm talking about old-azz computers. (Floppy disk)

I thought you actually mean the brand toughbooks, they are like 3 grand new lol

I actually really like the gopher software, and I prefer to keep everything organized on a computer or electronic device, paper gets lost and unorganized to quickly with me.

I am going to check out various ipad apps for remote pc use and see how they work. The main reason for wanting a netbook is to print estimates or invoices out while i'm at the property.

I would love a tablet with a camera to take reference pictures of properties to give me better ideas of whats going on, but I know tablets are limited on use when it comes to the other things i want to use it for.

xandrew245x
08-29-2012, 04:18 PM
I thought you actually mean the brand toughbooks, they are like 3 grand new lol

I actually really like the gopher software, and I prefer to keep everything organized on a computer or electronic device, paper gets lost and unorganized to quickly with me.

I am going to check out various ipad apps for remote pc use and see how they work. The main reason for wanting a netbook is to print estimates or invoices out while i'm at the property.

I would love a tablet with a camera to take reference pictures of properties to give me better ideas of whats going on, but I know tablets are limited on use when it comes to the other things i want to use it for.

I was thinking it over and decided not to buy one. Reasoning being I don't really need it.

I am only part time, so most likely once I pick up a few clients, i won't be adding anymore unless I lose a client or expand. Secondly, for simple residential mowings I can just fill out a sheet by hand with the cost break down, and the total it would be and give that to them, once the service is payed for I can fill out a receipt slip and keep one for myself and give them one if they want.

As for printing invoices, I don't really need to do that either, unless the client really wants an invoice every week, I wouldn't have the need to print one.

For everything else, I think i'll just make up a simple log book to keep track of time, and stuff like that, and then enter it in my computer at a later time.