PDA

View Full Version : Q.4 How did you get your first customers and

Steve
08-23-2012, 12:58 PM
Here is the 4th question of the lawn care business documentary (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=17213) I want to put together. I look forwards to reading your insights.

4. Your first customers. How did you get them and how did they work out for you?

Question #3 (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=17231) - Question #5 (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=17239)

avetslawncare
08-23-2012, 04:53 PM
I got my first customers from Craigslist..... I made sure to make me seem different from other businesses. This is important because there are so many random people on Craigslist. I mentioned that I was a Vet and I made sure to do my estimates while they were there, so they would know I was someone who could be trusted and not some "dirtball".

Of course, I could not do high estimates and had to give cheap prices to get the business rolling. Yards that I would now charge $45-55 for, I charged $40. I had to do this to get to work and start to show off my quality services. From there.... simply: 1) word of mouth 2) making sure to mow on the weekends so neighbors would notice me.

I honestly think this is much more productive than advertising because people know what they are getting for there $$.

hansenslawncare
08-23-2012, 09:42 PM
I got my first customer off of craigslist, which turned into getting her neighbor as well. They were great customers who always paid on time, and even had me do extra services for them. They were sweet older ladies (80's) always trying to feed me sandwiches or give me sodas. Probably some of my best customers thus far.

Bosslawncare
08-23-2012, 09:59 PM
I got my first customer by handing out flyers to massive neighbor hood which didn't turn out as good as I was expected but it landed me my first job which ended up with me doing a landscaping job and a lawn cutting contract for her neighbor too.

Big Al
08-24-2012, 02:36 PM
I've gotten my first(and most) customers by passing out flyers. I would pick a neighborhood and stick a flyer on everyone's door, find another neighborhood, repeat. It seems to me that most everyone on here has no luck by passing out flyers, I guess in my area it just works better....

JLM
08-24-2012, 10:59 PM
I got my first customer by hanging a business card on a door, I used to use a hole puncher and insert a rubber band through the card. I would put 20 or so on my wrist and head out walkin. I had this customer until she moved (out of state) great paying customer sad to loose her.

I was a door knocker and a "money client" stalker.. I would go out of my way to meet high end clients I remember once I went to the hospital and rode the elevator for like 2 hours or so but I put cards in the hands of those who could afford my services. I had great luck with customers that I just happend to run into:D

I still think outside the box, and get good results!

Martywdx
08-25-2012, 11:49 AM
My first customer was my mother, then a couple of her neighbors. Then the phone started ring with ppl wanting lawn work/mowing done. I never have advertised. Word of mouth/old lady network works for me. :cool:
Basicly I back into lawncare buisness. Part time at first with a full time job. Now with 40 plus lawns its my only job. and all paid for :D

Grass Doctor
08-25-2012, 08:54 PM
i got my first customer from door hanger (a walk way and planter) after that i up sell lawn care to the same client.

Localboyslawn
08-29-2012, 12:28 AM
FFC: Friends, flyers & craigslist.