PDA

View Full Version : Q.1 Before you got your business started

Steve
08-22-2012, 12:18 PM
Here is the first question of the lawn care business documentary (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=17213) I want to put together. Maybe if I post the questions individually it will help get more members involved even if they simply answer the questions here.

1. People want to see you get by, but not by them. Before you got your business started, did you have to deal with any friction, negativity, or problems from others you had tried to bounce your business ideas off of? How did that effect your business development process?

Question #2 (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=17227)

avetslawncare
08-22-2012, 05:39 PM
Yes, my parent did not support me getting out of the Army and starting my business....they wanted me to go back to school full-time and focus only on school.

This only motivated me to be more focused on the business and make it successful to prove to them and others I could do it. Others did not understand the fact that I did not want to go to college and have a desk job.

Now, I have over 140 accounts and have been in business just over a year. Next year, I will start a second crew and expand the business.

CHEESE2009
08-22-2012, 06:58 PM
Yes, my parent did not support me getting out of the Army and starting my business....they wanted me to go back to school full-time and focus only on school.

This only motivated me to be more focused on the business and make it successful to prove to them and others I could do it. Others did not understand the fact that I did not want to go to college and have a desk job.

Now, I have over 140 accounts and have been in business just over a year. Next year, I will start a second crew and expand the business.

I'm sure like you and many others including myself, have very discouraging parents. Not once have my parents genuinely shown interest in what I do, or encourage me in the least.

They go as far as saying, "You should give up" and my favorite, "You're not going to make it". Haha, then they say I should get a job doing something I'd absolutely hate.

"Lot's of work in Newfoundland"... Why the FCK would I want to live and work in NFLD?! I've been there a few times, and I honestly hate the people there, in that specific area I went to. No sense of privacy, always intruding, touching/snooping through your sh*t... Dammit.

It's sad, but then that day will eventually come where they (parents) really need my help, and I can whip around and tell them to go fck themselves. LOL.

wat5150
08-22-2012, 07:35 PM
I'm sure like you and many others including myself, have very discouraging parents. Not once have my parents genuinely shown interest in what I do, or encourage me in the least.

They go as far as saying, "You should give up" and my favorite, "You're not going to make it". Haha, then they say I should get a job doing something I'd absolutely hate.

"Lot's of work in Newfoundland"... Why the FCK would I want to live and work in NFLD?! I've been there a few times, and I honestly hate the people there, in that specific area I went to. No sense of privacy, always intruding, touching/snooping through your sh*t... Dammit.

It's sad, but then that day will eventually come where they (parents) really need my help, and I can whip around and tell them to go fck themselves. LOL.

LOL!!!! Funny stuff. I live on Newfoundland Drive!!!!!!!!!:D:D

CHEESE2009
08-22-2012, 08:34 PM
LOL!!!! Funny stuff. I live on Newfoundland Drive!!!!!!!!!:D:D

I'm using Google Maps to checkout the area I went to in NFLD.

... using street view I can already see Newfies standing on ladders... LMAO

WOWWWWWWWW

http://www.gopherforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5553&stc=1&d=1345686588

SECTLANDSCAPING
08-22-2012, 08:35 PM
A few guys that were already in business gave me good advice and were encouraging. It only took me a year to surpass them. I am thankful they were helpful.

The people i come across now are the opposite in business or not. I had a guy who I suspect stole my marketing materials that were on display tell me how hard it was because of the big guys out there.

Others say how do you pay your bills in the winter? I tell them I make more in the winter doing less. Well what if it doesnt snow? Then I have higher profit margins.

CHEESE2009
08-22-2012, 09:03 PM
You bastards should film yourselves!

See if you can beat my record of saying "um".

SECTLANDSCAPING
08-22-2012, 09:23 PM
You bastards should film yourselves!

See if you can beat my record of saying "um".
I'm in protective custody. I would have to do the scrambled voice and blurred face. All youll hear is I murder lawns.

wat5150
08-23-2012, 06:55 AM
Ill have to hook my webcam up. I could do it on my phone I suppose but then I would have to hold it. Ill mess around with it in the coming week. Busy weekend for me(getting married and all that jazz).:cool:

xandrew245x
08-23-2012, 07:39 AM
Ill have to hook my webcam up. I could do it on my phone I suppose but then I would have to hold it. Ill mess around with it in the coming week. Busy weekend for me(getting married and all that jazz).:cool:

I'm getting married in two more weeks, wish it was already over.

CHEESE2009
08-23-2012, 09:22 AM

Congrats guys!

Rdelahunr
08-23-2012, 02:42 PM
I have the same issue. Although I have yet to start my business (starting next spring), people who hear about my business and ideas come out and say it's stupid and I won't make it. Now what the hell kind of idea do any of these people have regarding lawn care? I have already put countless hours into studying, researching, planning, etc. I have things going for me (such as a well known family name, free advertising, etc.) that only make my startup easier, yet they still think it's stupid. They try to tell me how no one around here uses lawn care, they just do it themselves, which also isn't true. I live in one of the four poorest counties in MN of 4,500, yet in the summer the population hits as many as 80,000 in the surrounding area do to our lakes, a prime attraction for tourism. 50% of the homes in our area are lake cabins owned by middle to upper middle class people, almost all of which pay to have their lawns cut because when they come here, they want to relax and play. There are a ton of other high school kids who have done the same as me and succeeded, and I'd like to think that I have an even higher chance of succeeding, but then again, I may just be getting ahead of myself. Thank God my parents are supportive.

Big Al
08-24-2012, 01:51 PM
Honestly, my parents thought I was an assclown for even considering starting a lawn care business. My dad thinks I'm a complete idiot when it comes to doing anything...

I'll never forget the night before I had to go do my VERY first job, my dad called me outside and he had the lawn equipment lined up for me... He said, "ok, let me show you how to start the lawn mower... let me show you how to start the trimmer.... let me show you how to use the trimmer....etc...!" I almost **** a brick when he started telling me this. I told him, "dad, I appreciate you trying to help me, but I know what I'm doing. I'm a licensed electrician, certified process operator, and an engineering student for ****S SAKE!!!!

But anyways, my parents thought it was a dumb idea, both my brothers thought it was stupid, half my friends thought it was a waste of time and the other half thought it was a great idea.

Now that I busted my *** to build this business and its going good all of a sudden everyone wants to be a part of it... Even my dad wants to be "partners".... :NO:

CHEESE2009
08-24-2012, 03:34 PM
Honestly, my parents thought I was an assclown for even considering starting a lawn care business. My dad thinks I'm a complete idiot when it comes to doing anything...

I'll never forget the night before I had to go do my VERY first job, my dad called me outside and he had the lawn equipment lined up for me... He said, "ok, let me show you how to start the lawn mower... let me show you how to start the trimmer.... let me show you how to use the trimmer....etc...!" I almost **** a brick when he started telling me this. I told him, "dad, I appreciate you trying to help me, but I know what I'm doing. I'm a licensed electrician, certified process operator, and an engineering student for ****S SAKE!!!!

But anyways, my parents thought it was a dumb idea, both my brothers thought it was stupid, half my friends thought it was a waste of time and the other half thought it was a great idea.

Now that I busted my *** to build this business and its going good all of a sudden everyone wants to be a part of it... Even my dad wants to be "partners".... :NO:

I feel you man.

Dads/step-dads can be the most irritating bastards. Mine for instance always likes to feel important, which is fine, but he has to make everyone around him feel stupid - which honestly doesn't work considering he does a horrible job with just about any project he starts. :mad:

Some people have fathers who are proud, others have fathers who are dependent with being the center of attention - they want to steal your spotlight.

JLM
08-24-2012, 09:18 PM
I guess my only regret is not involving family/friends in my decision to begin my company. I feel that if I had reached out to them I may have had a better start. I chose to start my company on my own without any imput or advise from anyone, I know this industry like the back of my hand... so I may have been a little ****y and thought I knew it all... Well.......I was wrong... I found out that I sucked at the business end of the company and had alott to learn....Thanks to the help of family and friends I was able to float, maintain, and profit in this industry. It took me over a year to ask for help...Shoulda done it sooner!

Localboyslawn
08-28-2012, 11:32 PM
Not here. I had lots of support. Even the ex-wife didn't complain so I knew I was onto something ;)