PDA

View Full Version : gear drive vs hyrdo

xandrew245x
08-17-2012, 06:47 AM
Hey guys, I came across a pretty nice exmark 52" metro walk behind. The guy is willing to trade it and some cash for my old car. I know the metro's are gear driven and only have reverse assist. What other pro/cons of each are there.

xandrew245x
08-17-2012, 03:52 PM
I found a killer deal on a ferris 48" walk behind mower, but the only problem is it is a belt drive.

SECTLANDSCAPING
08-17-2012, 03:58 PM
Belt drive are just not as fast. You cant change gears while moving. If you do you burn the trans up. Youll see this with a lot of mowers missing 2cd or 3rd gear.

xandrew245x
08-17-2012, 04:18 PM
That's kind of a deal killer, I defiantly don't want something I have change gears on.

Lopes Lawn Care
08-17-2012, 05:23 PM
I've never had a hydro but from what I gather the pumps are expensive and when compared to the price of a belt you can't beat it. My old *** toro is too fast in 4th for me to keep up with walking behind it. Wouldn't want to drive it in 4th with a sulky either. So unless going lightning fast on commercial lots or big yards is your goal i think you'll be fine with a belt driven walk-behind. Although like i said i've never had a hydro so this might be stupid advice. :D

xandrew245x
08-17-2012, 05:38 PM
I agree maintenance is way cheaper, but how are they with mowing time. I have a 50" toro time cutter now

Caskey Lawns & Landscapes
08-17-2012, 06:54 PM
Yes Hydro pumps are exspensive and most units have 2 of them, I replaced one the end of last season on my Exmark and the pump alone was $630.00:eek: Still would not give it up though !!:D

xandrew245x
08-17-2012, 07:14 PM
Hmm...belt drives are sounding much more appealing! :p

SECTLANDSCAPING
08-17-2012, 07:37 PM
Not much difference in repair prices. The gears wear out in belt drives and cost $500 in parts.

A comparison of belts to hoses would be more realistic.

xandrew245x
08-17-2012, 07:49 PM
so basically what i'm getting from this is its all on the users preference. This belt drive is starting to sound pretty good to me, I offered him $550 and he said if the other guy doesn't give a better offer then he will sell it to me for that.

stevef1201
08-18-2012, 05:45 AM
so basically what i'm getting from this is its all on the users preference. This belt drive is starting to sound pretty good to me, I offered him $550 and he said if the other guy doesn't give a better offer then he will sell it to me for that.

Dont you just love 'the other guy', and 'I got a better offer from...'. Well if you got a better offer then why didn't you take it?!

I really wish people would stop thinking the rest of us are stupid!!!!!!

xandrew245x
08-18-2012, 05:55 AM
Dont you just love 'the other guy', and 'I got a better offer from...'. Well if you got a better offer then why didn't you take it?!

I really wish people would stop thinking the rest of us are stupid!!!!!!

Yeah, I told him I wasn't going any higher than $550, if he had another buyer then sell it, i'm not budging.

He said another guy texted him about it, and was supposed to text him back last night for more info but never did.

xandrew245x
08-20-2012, 09:54 AM
Kind of along the same lines, what are some pros vs cons of a ZTR vs a walk behind.

I plan on buying a used mower sometime next year, if my business is going well, I am not quite sure what to buy, but I know I don't want to end up with the wrong kind of mower.

I know walk behinds are way cheaper, and I can pick a decent one up for less than $1500, but efficiency wise, is it worth paying more for a rider?