PDA

View Full Version : What pushmower you guys using??

dirtbikekid
08-16-2012, 10:28 AM
Im in the market for a new one, i've looked at several..Toro..troybuilt..Murray...etc, Thanks!

LawnBoy0311
08-16-2012, 11:19 AM
I use all toro's. They always seem to work well for me and a dealer is in town. Not sure about other mowers, but a lot of places carry parts for them, not just the dealers.

stevef1201
08-16-2012, 01:08 PM
Im in the market for a new one, i've looked at several..Toro..troybuilt..Murray...etc, Thanks!

Pushmower? What's that??

Von Bobbeh
08-16-2012, 02:09 PM
I'm mainly using a box store Toro Recycler. I like it, it works well. I stenciled on my company name to the side because it's flat, so I think that makes it DE COOLEST. $300.

Shark1611
08-16-2012, 11:18 PM

EXMARK with a Honda

Hedgemaster
08-17-2012, 12:39 AM
Some people don't count self propel, but I call all 21" mowers "push mowers".

I use a Toro Super Recycler (SR4) and I'm very happy with it.
I'll probably get a Toro commercial 21" eventually, but I was so happy with the SR4 I bought last season, I bought another one!

See here:
http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=13790&highlight=toro+super+recycler

Grass Doctor
08-17-2012, 12:50 AM
get a honda 500 bucks at home depot will last u long time eas to use and it has to blades.
:D

Hedgemaster
08-17-2012, 12:53 AM
get a honda 500 bucks at home depot will last u long time eas to use and it has to blades.

My Toro was on clearance for $500, is easier to use, has a Honda engine, and I only need to remove/sharpen ONE blade.

:p

SECTLANDSCAPING
08-17-2012, 01:07 AM
I have 3 hondas that are used daily. I have 2 toros that sit in a shed. Ill use them occasionally if I forgot to sharpen blades. A good older mower that I dont see much anymore is a lawnboy.

My Toro was on clearance for $500, is easier to use, has a Honda engine, and I only need to remove/sharpen ONE blade.

Easier? You start, you drive, your done.

Hedgemaster
08-17-2012, 01:17 AM
I have 3 hondas that are used daily. I have 2 toros that sit in a shed. Ill use them occasionally if I forgot to sharpen blades. A good older mower that I dont see much anymore is a lawnboy.

Easier? You start, you drive, your done.

Mine's easier to "drive". :p

Starting is the same since it's essentially the same powerplant.

Done is done. :)

As for Lawnboy, that's all you see around here on the older, established companies trailers. That's what I was going to buy when I started until I discovered they don't make the good ones any more.

SECTLANDSCAPING
08-17-2012, 01:33 AM
Mine's easier to "drive". :p

Starting is the same since it's essentially the same powerplant.

Done is done. :)

As for Lawnboy, that's all you see around here on the older, established companies trailers. That's what I was going to buy when I started until I discovered they don't make the good ones any more.

It might be easier for you but the rest of us just squeeze and go. The blade control is really what makes a difference. Turning your mower off to go over a curb is so 80s. :D

Yeah the old lawnboys are the goodies and whenever I see them there selling for 2 bills plus. Thats to high for me for a 20 year old mower. The new crap ones are made by toro. I think they started making them in the early 90s.

wandfsmall
08-17-2012, 09:14 AM
A big thing to look at now days is the engine, a lot of the Chinese made engines do not have great parts availability for example you need a bowl gasket you have to buy a carburetor, in a few cases you can not even buy parts as simple as air filters. As to brand of push mower a lot of them are made by Briggs and Stratton and rebadged so you have to pick the lowest priced model you want that has the features you want.

Hedgemaster
08-17-2012, 02:25 PM
It might be easier for you but the rest of us just squeeze and go. The blade control is really what makes a difference. Turning your mower off to go over a curb is so 80s. :D

Yeah the old lawnboys are the goodies and whenever I see them there selling for 2 bills plus. Thats to high for me for a 20 year old mower. The new crap ones are made by toro. I think they started making them in the early 90s.

Blade shutoff was available on the SR4s a few years ago. Why they removed it, yet still offer it on the "Home Depot specials" (Recyclers) is beyond me.

I'm just messing around when I say "my Toro is better than your Honda", but I'm happy with it, and if someone is happy with what they use, that's important.

I thought this new Toro would be "better" since it has the Honda engine as opposed to the Briggs on my other one, but MAN does this thing suck up gas.
The Honda is either a gas hog, or has a much smaller tank. (or both)

Another "bad" thing is that freaking gas RUNS out the air filter if you run it filter side down across a steep hill. My Toro with the Briggs doesn't do that.

wandfsmall
08-17-2012, 05:49 PM
Blade shutoff was available on the SR4s a few years ago. Why they removed it, yet still offer it on the "Home Depot specials" (Recyclers) is beyond me.

I'm just messing around when I say "my Toro is better than your Honda", but I'm happy with it, and if someone is happy with what they use, that's important.

I thought this new Toro would be "better" since it has the Honda engine as opposed to the Briggs on my other one, but MAN does this thing suck up gas.
The Honda is either a gas hog, or has a much smaller tank. (or both)

Another "bad" thing is that freaking gas RUNS out the air filter if you run it filter side down across a steep hill. My Toro with the Briggs doesn't do that.

sounds like you might have a float problem with the honda I would get it looked at.

bruces
08-17-2012, 11:01 PM
what he ^^^^ said .

Hedgemaster
08-17-2012, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the tip guys.

I started noting the time on the hour meter when I filled it from empty.

Wed - 11.3 hrs
Thurs - 12.8 hrs
Fri - 14.2 hrs

SECTLANDSCAPING
08-17-2012, 11:28 PM
1 hour and a half for a tank.... Its definitely getting to much gas. Had the same float problem with a brand new subaru engine.

Grass Doctor
08-17-2012, 11:57 PM

what u think will have a better cut cut 2 blades against one Honda wins :p

dedicated to u hedge

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FSqOYvROoFg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PVMS
08-18-2012, 06:45 AM
Most of our mowers here have 4 swing back blades. Not many contractors buy Honda's any more, because the Sp models don't catch wet grass, since they stuffed the design and made the rear shoot too small. The handle bar height is also too low.
Most engines and parts are now made in China, including Honda.
I use a Rover over here, (a former Australian brand, now Chinese) with a Briggs 850 on it, but now the new ones come out with a Chinese 197cc engine on it, and seems pretty good. Chinese have improved quality vastly over the last 10 years.
Give it ten more years and everything will be made in India, as wages in China have tripled in the last 5 years.