PDA

View Full Version : High Price? No Problem!

SouthallMowing
08-13-2012, 10:59 PM
Today I got a phone call from a woman about 5 miles outside of my service area asking for an estimate. I nicely told her I'd take the job, but it's out of my service area. She wanted me to cut it ASAP. So I told her I can refer her to someone. She said that she can just push mow it if I can't do it. So by this time I'm wondering what is up with this. So I get there for the estimate. Nice plot of land. 2.34 acres to be exact. It's only going to be a 2 or 3 week job, once a week of course. Anyway, as I'm walking around I find nothing in the way besides a house for this. Awesome! Still don't really want to take the job. When I get to the outer edge of my service area my price is around $50. It's only another 5 minutes, so I'll give her an estimate and see what she says. So I tell her $80. (The whole next one to talk loses, comes into play here) There was a VERY long pause, and finally she says I'll ask my husband. Bam. I was thinking "He doesn't want to have to do it he doesn't care". So she says to go for it. I was happy and kinda mad at the same time. Dídn't want the job, but if she's going to throw her money away, why not toss it at me. Anyway, my question to you all is this...Has anyone ever jacked up the price cause they didn't want a job (that they could do)?

SECTLANDSCAPING
08-13-2012, 11:10 PM
:confused: thats not a high price. I just quoted 2/3 acre for $80 right next door to my other client. It does include some light weeding but thats only 5 minutes or so every week.

WorkForMySelf
08-13-2012, 11:30 PM
cut 2.35 acres for $80? She duped you

LawnBoy0311
08-14-2012, 04:11 AM
right now i cut a yard a little over a half acre for $80, its got quite a bit of trimming though. with what you explained sounds like it will go for around $175+ here.

But to answer your question- yes. I have done it a few times. I actually just did it 2 days ago. This lady called and wanted her bush trimmed up, and weed/mulch her garden. The garden was very small-it would only require about 10 cubic ft of mulch. The whole job would only take me maybe 30 or 45 minutes. I quoted $195. Thats a no brainer that its not worth the price. She emailed me back and wanted me to start today. I told her the earliest I can start is next week and I need 50% paid. She said payment wasnt a problem, but wanted it done asap and she would call me in a few days to let me know if she couldn't find anyone else. When she calls, my schedule will be filled next week. I quoted such a high price because this lady was being a HUGE PITA and I could tell she was going to inspect every minor detail of work. This job was not worth it to me.

stevef1201
08-14-2012, 05:48 AM
I have 'jacked up' the price for jobs that I dont want, It is standard practice. If you dont get the job well you didnt want it anyhow, of you do get it you make good money. win win

wat5150
08-14-2012, 05:53 AM
Sometimes when I read these posts I shake my head. It seems as though some people take clients and phone calls coming in for granted. Sure there are some lame clients but thats life, they are always going to be there no matter what you do for a job. We shouldnt take things(people calling for service,money coming in, extra jobs) for granted. I understand there are the crap jobs out there that we pass on if its just not worth it...I get that. What really makes me think is someone agreeing to go out and do the estimate, gets there and says the lawn is great, pretty straightforward and then tries to bid high so as to not get the job?!?!?!?!?!?!! Because you just really didnt want to?? Why are you doing this?? Why did you go to the estimate?? I mean this is @ss backwards business sense. I used to run a restaurant before I got into this. Its a cut throat industry(kind of like lawn care can be). Dont take the money and jobs for granted, someday they may not be there. remember that our economy is in the toilet, too many people struggling..And I read posts on here about Yeah I just didnt want to do it and well she would inspect every bit of my work...Really?? What do you expect of most people that are paying money for a service???? Sometimes they are demanding, sometimes too much so but we basically deal with it to get the check. I think some of you guys havent struggled before and just dont understand.

xandrew245x
08-14-2012, 07:01 AM
Your not leaving very much profit margin for yourself and your business, I would have probably charged at least $120 for a job like that.

LawnBoy0311
08-14-2012, 12:19 PM
Sometimes when I read these posts I shake my head. It seems as though some people take clients and phone calls coming in for granted. Sure there are some lame clients but thats life, they are always going to be there no matter what you do for a job. We shouldnt take things(people calling for service,money coming in, extra jobs) for granted. I understand there are the crap jobs out there that we pass on if its just not worth it...I get that. What really makes me think is someone agreeing to go out and do the estimate, gets there and says the lawn is great, pretty straightforward and then tries to bid high so as to not get the job?!?!?!?!?!?!! Because you just really didnt want to?? Why are you doing this?? Why did you go to the estimate?? I mean this is @ss backwards business sense. I used to run a restaurant before I got into this. Its a cut throat industry(kind of like lawn care can be). Dont take the money and jobs for granted, someday they may not be there. remember that our economy is in the toilet, too many people struggling..And I read posts on here about Yeah I just didnt want to do it and well she would inspect every bit of my work...Really?? What do you expect of most people that are paying money for a service???? Sometimes they are demanding, sometimes too much so but we basically deal with it to get the check. I think some of you guys havent struggled before and just dont understand.

Maybe if we all lived in the same area, we'd all be the same. But we don't. I live in an area that has mostly government work. This "bad economy" everyone talks about hasn't affected this area. I moved here 5 years ago with ford explorer and all my clothes in the back. I had NOTHING to my name. I just got back from Iraq, finished my 4 years in the Marine Corps, and had to start all over. At one point I had to sell off a few personal things just to make my car payment. I now have 1 house and just bought another piece of property in NC. So YOU want to talk about STRUGGLE? Come on bro, you never know whos on the other end of the computer when your typing. For all I know someone is in here worth millions and only doing lawn care for fun! I have a full time job, I do this for extra $$. Because getting off at 2pm from work and having nothing to do is no fun. Not to mention I need something to keep me busy and tired so I don't have to take meds to fall asleep. But...oh yeah...thats a whole other STRUGGLE. Now I feel bad because you came from the restaurant business, so I'll explain on bidding high. I had a client call and ask for a quote. It was out of my service area, but I figured hey, why not. So I went. I bid high because of the extra travel, and got it. Now its worth it to me to drive that little extra ways. Bottom line, I'm looking to make money. I'm not looking for a head ache-but my purple heart explains why I have them all the time...oh wait...thats ANOTHER STRUGGLE.

wat5150
08-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Maybe if we all lived in the same area, we'd all be the same. But we don't. I live in an area that has mostly government work. This "bad economy" everyone talks about hasn't affected this area. I moved here 5 years ago with ford explorer and all my clothes in the back. I had NOTHING to my name. I just got back from Iraq, finished my 4 years in the Marine Corps, and had to start all over. At one point I had to sell off a few personal things just to make my car payment. I now have 1 house and just bought another piece of property in NC. So YOU want to talk about STRUGGLE? Come on bro, you never know whos on the other end of the computer when your typing. For all I know someone is in here worth millions and only doing lawn care for fun! I have a full time job, I do this for extra $$. Because getting off at 2pm from work and having nothing to do is no fun. Not to mention I need something to keep me busy and tired so I don't have to take meds to fall asleep. But...oh yeah...thats a whole other STRUGGLE. Now I feel bad because you came from the restaurant business, so I'll explain on bidding high. I had a client call and ask for a quote. It was out of my service area, but I figured hey, why not. So I went. I bid high because of the extra travel, and got it. Now its worth it to me to drive that little extra ways. Bottom line, I'm looking to make money. I'm not looking for a head ache-but my purple heart explains why I have them all the time...oh wait...thats ANOTHER STRUGGLE.

You miss my point. My point is that there seems to be a lot of taking things for granted. Oh and if you think because I have a customer service background(restaurant) and I dont know what bidding high is your mistaken, very much so. I read in a post that someone doesnt want to do work because the client will scrutinize them, Oh thats too bad, but its called life. I applaud your military background and Im thankful to all our past and present service people but I dont think it has much to do with what Im talking about. You are lucky you live in an area not affected by our economy. I think thats about 1% of the country. You picked a good spot. But people p!ssing and moaning about oh I cant drive 5 mins or I dont want any feedback from a customer is just lame. My opinion, obviously you dont agree but it is what it is.

LawnBoy0311
08-14-2012, 04:26 PM
You miss my point. My point is that there seems to be a lot of taking things for granted. Oh and if you think because I have a customer service background(restaurant) and I dont know what bidding high is your mistaken, very much so. I read in a post that someone doesnt want to do work because the client will scrutinize them, Oh thats too bad, but its called life. I applaud your military background and Im thankful to all our past and present service people but I dont think it has much to do with what Im talking about. You are lucky you live in an area not affected by our economy. I think thats about 1% of the country. You picked a good spot. But people p!ssing and moaning about oh I cant drive 5 mins or I dont want any feedback from a customer is just lame. My opinion, obviously you dont agree but it is what it is.

I didn't miss your point at all. I understand what you meant. Having spent 8 years in customer service, I also understand that too. BUT, to deal with a potential BAD customer, is not something I would want to deal with. I don't want to deal with a complainer that wants me there everyday to tell me something else I did "wrong", although it was never agreed that I would provide that service. Or if they try to get freebies out of me, saying I never did what they wanted, although it was something else I never agreed to do. Weeding out bad customers is definatly part of my business, because I don't want people bad mouthing me or my company. I work too hard for that. This goes for bad payers too. Your not a customer if you don't pay on time. I don't think people take things for granted. They try to think too much into this business. If it's profitable, take it. Even if its a little out of your service area.

SouthallMowing
08-14-2012, 11:36 PM
Dispite the negative comments and such on this... around here mowing an acre is $35.00 everyone charges that. It's almost SOP. I mowed it today. It was easy. She gave me a good tip too. Whoever said that it's bad to charge people extra, this is my comment to you... If they are stupid enough to go for it, then they deserve to be charged. Simple as that.

SECTLANDSCAPING
08-15-2012, 12:29 AM
Dispite the negative comments and such on this... around here mowing an acre is $35.00 everyone charges that. It's almost SOP. I mowed it today. It was easy. She gave me a good tip too. Whoever said that it's bad to charge people extra, this is my comment to you... If they are stupid enough to go for it, then they deserve to be charged. Simple as that.
I agree with you about charging more for someone out of your way but even at the $35 a acre rate your still charging your normal price. 2.35 acres at $35 acre is $82.25. At that formula high would be $100 a cut.

At those prices I would rent a storage place in Cincinnati or Dayton. There charging $45 for 10k sq ft and $90 a acre. The cost of living cant be triple. It would be worth it to buy another set up and hire someone local to that area to run it.

I dont know everything about Ohio but I live in the state with the greatest income disparity between rich and poor. The prices dont fluctuate much from where I'm at the second poorest county or where lopes is at in the richest.

SouthallMowing
08-15-2012, 07:56 PM
I see what you mean. Oh well, It's flat, doesn't take too long to mow. And I only have about 20 in expenses with that lawn. So I still make money. But I'm expanding into broader places. More expensive properties and such. But I'm starting college soon. So I won't be able to keep up with the fulll time stuff. I've had a guy help me earlier this spring. So I'll get him to start helping me.

pfreeman
08-16-2012, 04:29 PM
Never take the customer for granted. I agree, but you can charge for inconvenience or for being out of your service area. I add 20% for out of service or emergency service. People don't seem to mind. Charge what you are worth, let the price shoppers and PITA customers go to someone else. Actually, I refer them to a competitor that is more suited to their attitude, project, or price.

Steve
08-17-2012, 11:02 AM
When I get to the outer edge of my service area my price is around $50. It's only another 5 minutes, so I'll give her an estimate and see what she says. So I tell her $80.

This is a great experience. You didn't care too much if you got the job or not, so you raised your prices. Now after going through this, do you wonder if you could bid more jobs higher?

stevef1201
08-17-2012, 02:05 PM
Never take the customer for granted. I agree, but you can charge for inconvenience or for being out of your service area. I add 20% for out of service or emergency service. People don't seem to mind. Charge what you are worth, let the price shoppers and PITA customers go to someone else. Actually, I refer them to a competitor that is more suited to their attitude, project, or price.

PITAs price whoppers are all around us. I give a quote based on what I think the yard will take to do. I have a service area and tell people that want service outside of that area sorry. I do refer people who have too big a yard for me to handle (I have gotten calls to cut 5 acre and 12 acre area) to a friend who has machines to handle that size. the Price to mow and acre here?? I relly dont know, I get 50 bucks for the first acre and 40 each additional acre, mow trim, edge, and blow. Fortunatly the area I live in a one Acre yard is the norm.

avetslawncare
08-17-2012, 06:31 PM
stupid enough? That is pretty arrogant...I would day more of...needing services urgently.

Another thing I notice on here, some of you must not value your time...I see some guys bragging about a job only taking a short period of time. I take into consideration changing equipment on the trailer and more importantly picking up materials, waiting for mulch to be loaded, etc.

$35 for an acre ? Not much room for profit there, SOP or not...
.some of you should agree to raise that of it is truly the case..stop shorting yourselves!

Caskey Lawns & Landscapes
08-17-2012, 07:06 PM
I have too share this one with you guys !!

I get a call for a mowing estimate and I tell her I will be there shortly as I am in the neighborhood on another job...I pull into this horshoe driveway at this place and it's like :eek: OMG !! grass and chainlink fence as far as I can see...

So I start looking around and its about 4 to 5 acres of lawn, sloped slightly downhill and the entire property is enclosed by chain link fence, She tells me the fence must be trimmed inside and outside also...:eek:

Lol, for the very first time since I have been doing this , I honestly didn't know what to say, All I could think about is my guys seeing that fence for the first time and me telling them trim both sides :rolleyes:

After a minute I finally said I can't touch this for less than $245.00 , well that didn't go well , she told me the last guy did it for $100.00 , I said I can see why he isn't doing it anymore ;)

I didn't get it..