PDA

View Full Version : It's an Encore

lonestarlawn
08-13-2012, 03:35 PM
A few weeks ago a neighbor of mine said his cousin had a big mower that he might want to sell since he had recently sold some land and moved to a small house in town.

The mower looks like its had alot of use put on it, paint is a little faded and the stickers are all weathered, cracked and mostly gone but started on the first pull from a cold start.
The bearings for the spindles are ready to be replaced but other than that it starts, runs, and cuts great.

I've mowed my double lot twice and used it to mow a double lot for a customer. It cut an hour and a half of mowing with my 22" push mower down to about 25 minutes.

I got the mower for $400.00 so i'm pretty happy so far, but when i got the mower he said it was a Toro. Since i'm pretty new to the commercial mowers I thoght this to be true. Since I've had it I found out its an Encore, the 3 stripes on the deck clued me in.

I ran a Toro 36"walk behind for about a year and a half mowing yards for HUD and I know that mower was tough, but never had any experience with Encore so I hope it'll be a good one.

Anyway just thought I'd share.

wandfsmall
08-13-2012, 05:28 PM
A few weeks ago a neighbor of mine said his cousin had a big mower that he might want to sell since he had recently sold some land and moved to a small house in town.

The mower looks like its had alot of use put on it, paint is a little faded and the stickers are all weathered, cracked and mostly gone but started on the first pull from a cold start.
The bearings for the spindles are ready to be replaced but other than that it starts, runs, and cuts great.

I've mowed my double lot twice and used it to mow a double lot for a customer. It cut an hour and a half of mowing with my 22" push mower down to about 25 minutes.

I got the mower for $400.00 so i'm pretty happy so far, but when i got the mower he said it was a Toro. Since i'm pretty new to the commercial mowers I thoght this to be true. Since I've had it I found out its an Encore, the 3 stripes on the deck clued me in.

I ran a Toro 36"walk behind for about a year and a half mowing yards for HUD and I know that mower was tough, but never had any experience with Encore so I hope it'll be a good one.

Anyway just thought I'd share.

The only suggestion I have is try to find the mower model number and keep it safe, Encore from what I understand went threw a few models just before they sold to world lawn of china. You should be able to get parts though.

lonestarlawn
08-14-2012, 10:13 PM
I emailed Encore today about the model numbers and got a response in about 2 hours with all the info I needed. Pretty good response time I thought.

It's a WB48K17. The bearings are just under $12.00 ea. New spindle assemblies $112.00. I've read some posts where guys say when the bearings wear they replace the whole spindle assembly. Should I just replace the whole spindle? Not sure how long the bearings have been bad so i'm wondering if the spindles could be in bad shape as well.

wandfsmall
08-15-2012, 11:13 AM
I emailed Encore today about the model numbers and got a response in about 2 hours with all the info I needed. Pretty good response time I thought.

It's a WB48K17. The bearings are just under $12.00 ea. New spindle assemblies $112.00. I've read some posts where guys say when the bearings wear they replace the whole spindle assembly. Should I just replace the whole spindle? Not sure how long the bearings have been bad so i'm wondering if the spindles could be in bad shape as well.

As to recommending replacing the whole spindle or the just the barrings that has a lot to do with the quality of the spindle, the tools you have to work with, and the damage to the shaft and housing when you notice that you need to replace the bearings. Encore is one of my weaker units while I have worked on them I do not remember what the spindles look like so I can not answer the quality question with certainty. But with a used unit if it was mine I would just replace the whole spindle so you know what you have.

lonestarlawn
08-20-2012, 04:35 PM
http://www.gopherforum.com/album.php?albumid=134

Well...still cant get a pic up.

Steve
08-21-2012, 04:39 PM
Try making the picture a bit smaller. Usually it's the size of the picture that limits it's ability to upload.