PDA

View Full Version : Gravely 252 problem

gwoodcutter
08-10-2012, 10:56 PM
I have a 2006 Gravely 252. Here lately it will be running then all of a sudden it will die. It will sometimes try and start, run for a few seconds or the ignition just turns and never catches. It has fire. I'm thinking it is fuel related. I tried replacing the fuel filter right beside the pump and cleaned the bowl out. It ran nice for a week after that. Today on the trailer it started acting up again. It starts up then immediately quits. Someone suggested the solenoid may be faulty, but he said the pump is working correctly. Anyone here have experience with this? Thanks.

Scott

wandfsmall
08-11-2012, 08:35 AM
I have a 2006 Gravely 252. Here lately it will be running then all of a sudden it will die. It will sometimes try and start, run for a few seconds or the ignition just turns and never catches. It has fire. I'm thinking it is fuel related. I tried replacing the fuel filter right beside the pump and cleaned the bowl out. It ran nice for a week after that. Today on the trailer it started acting up again. It starts up then immediately quits. Someone suggested the solenoid may be faulty, but he said the pump is working correctly. Anyone here have experience with this? Thanks.

Scott

My first guess would be lots of dirt in your tank, any chance you ran it with the gas cap off for a while?

gwoodcutter
08-11-2012, 10:39 AM
no, but there is one tank that i think i have closed it and then look and see gas seeping out pretty good and have to tighten it down further.

wandfsmall
08-11-2012, 10:52 AM
no, but there is one tank that i think i have closed it and then look and see gas seeping out pretty good and have to tighten it down further.

ok get a Kawasaki OEM clear fuel filter part number 49019-7005 so you can see when it clogs and check the flow after the fuel pump. Also I would not rule out the fuel pump with any issue such as this unless you have done a proper flow test on it.

gwoodcutter
08-11-2012, 11:01 AM
Well i went and got a generic clear fuel filter and put on it so i can see what is going on with it. What is a proper flow test on the fuel pump? do you think the gas cap being like i described would allow dirt into the tank? thanks.

wandfsmall
08-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Well i went and got a generic clear fuel filter and put on it so i can see what is going on with it. What is a proper flow test on the fuel pump? do you think the gas cap being like i described would allow dirt into the tank? thanks.

you would need to measure the amount of fuel coming out of the fuel pump per engine rotation. And yes the cap could allow dirt into the tank however I would not think it would allow much dirt in with the cap on.

Steve
08-13-2012, 12:23 PM
Could the float be sticking possibly? Maybe it starts, drains the fuel bowl, and then shuts off?

Also, does the use of the choke effect it shutting off?

wandfsmall
08-13-2012, 05:26 PM
Could the float be sticking possibly? Maybe it starts, drains the fuel bowl, and then shuts off?

Also, does the use of the choke effect it shutting off?

He said it did not start, so I figured it was not getting to the bowl as it should suck fuel if it did, now if it started and died after a few min I would say that would be a likely problem.

I do have another question what engine model is on that mower?

Steve
08-14-2012, 02:20 PM
lately it will be running then all of a sudden it will die. It will sometimes try and start, run for a few seconds or the ignition just turns and never catches.

I was basing it off of this.

Has anything more come of it?

gwoodcutter
08-18-2012, 02:28 PM
Hey guys, sorry I haven't posted. Had a busy week! It hadn't done it all week, then Thursday I cut a townhouse complex for 5 hours and then a church after that. An hour into the church it just dies! I try half choking/half throttle to clear it. Tried tapping on the bowl to get "it" to move out. I'm not bright enough mechanically to try other things. I might just take it in to the shop.
On another note, my Shindaiwa weed eater starts dying when I throttle it! This after I replaced the gear head, air filter, and the shroud the filter sits in. Do I need to replace the fuel filter? It looks kind of dirty and I don't know when I replaced it last.

Steve
08-20-2012, 01:45 PM
Do I need to replace the fuel filter? It looks kind of dirty and I don't know when I replaced it last.

It can't hurt!

gwoodcutter
08-20-2012, 06:44 PM
YEAH, IT WAS THE FUEL FILTER ON THE WEED EATER THAT WAS CAUSING THE PROBLEM. tHANKS ON THAT.

Steve
08-21-2012, 04:40 PM
That is fantastic! I'd love to see a pic of the before and after filter! SO others can see the difference.

gwoodcutter
08-24-2012, 09:39 PM
Okay, replacing the fuel filter in the weed eater helped, but the next day i'm running it and it starts doing the same thing. I take it in and the throttle cable on the top going into the carb is just loose enough to be moving around and allowing air into it. The filter was dirty, but the cable was playing havoc with the performance.
On another note, the new Shindaiwa's are not the same as the older version. My old one is in the shop and the owner told me to keep this one healthy as long as possible. The new one's with the emissions controls just aren't the same. If I ever need another, then i'm gonna search E-bay for a replacement!
On the 252, my mechanic fished his hand down in the tank and pulled out a fuel line that had come unattached! I definitely wouldn't have thought of that as the answer to the problem. He said that had been a problem with that model. The new one is a hard plastic that ethanol in the gas wouldn't effect. The ethanol eats away at the connection point. Thanks again!