PDA

View Full Version : What do you want to know?

ritchiem
12-01-2007, 01:36 PM
I am doing some research forThe Lawn Blog (http://thelawnblog.com) and I want to know, as business owners what information would you read about? I just need some help brainstorming some ideas.

I want to do some more articles on safety in the industry is this something that interests you?

Let me know your thoughts,

Cheers,

Steve
12-01-2007, 01:38 PM
Off the top of my head, I would say how to treat any type of lawn problem I could run into.

What is the cause of it and then how to resolve it.

StartALawnCareBusiness
12-01-2007, 10:20 PM
I would like to read about how make lawn care more of an environmentally sensitive industry.

There are no/low impact methods of caring for lawns. For example, if you cut fescue grasses higher, the grass will be more drought tolerant and it will help choke out weeds. I had a customer who used to demand his yard be cut at the lowest possible setting. It was always brown and ugly looking. Gradually, I talked him into letting me raise the blades. Within a year, he had great looking grass...no fertilizer, no weed killer, and no extra watering.

For many customers I have set up 'natural areas' in small sections of their yards. Instead of hauling off all the brush and leaves, you can strategically pile the brush in a back area of their yard. Cardinals, wrens, and chickadees love natural areas like this.

Tons of examples available, I'd like to read your ideas.

Keith

ritchiem
12-02-2007, 04:22 PM
Thanks Keith I will definitely write some more articles on organic care, IPM and environmental issues within the green industry.

Is there anything you would like to contribute to The Lawn Blog (http://thelawnblog.com)? In turn I could help you promote your business.

Cheers,

Steve
12-02-2007, 04:59 PM
Hi Richard,

How often do you add an update to your blog? Do you have a suggestion to others that blog how often they should do it?

ritchiem
12-02-2007, 05:20 PM
Well I am trying to put on 3-4 good sized articles per week. Mostly all content original (written by myself or sponsors) too...that is what will put you out in front compared to other blogs. Instead of getting mixed up with hundreds of cookie cutter copy and pasters.

I would recommend that if you are going to run a blog that you post regularly and keep your audience happy. I would like to get into the motion of posting everyday, perhaps even multiple times per day.

Steve
12-02-2007, 05:55 PM
I have the most difficult time posting new entries in my blog. I don't think I have ever had a response to any of the things I posted in there either.

Do you feel blogs just don't lend themselves as well to responses as forums? Or what's your view?

ritchiem
12-02-2007, 06:29 PM
Blogs are more for instant gratification. If someone was researching something and they found a great article they may be able to get their answer faster.

Where forums are stepping stones to information. Each forum post gets closer to the answer, but usually ends up off topic every time http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

I don't know if I prefer one to the other...I love the conversation that comes with forums, but I also love blogging...dunno.

ritchiem
12-02-2007, 06:32 PM
Quote[/b] ]Do you feel blogs just don't lend themselves as well to responses as forums? Or what's your view?

I know they don't...the option is there to comment, but the idea behind blogging is to post information not a discussion.

Steve
12-03-2007, 02:08 PM
Another thing I was thinking of is you could potentially offer as a service the ability to set other lawn care operators up with a blog and then have them connected with an rss feed.