PDA

View Full Version : How the heck?

SECTLANDSCAPING
08-09-2012, 12:48 AM
I had my guy call me and say we have a problem.
Ok, What?
The trailer is smoking from both sides.
Is something on fire?
No, its coming from the wheels.
WTF did you do?
Nothing was just driving.
Stay there ill bring the other trailer.

So I get there and the dust caps on the hubs are missing. The axle is poking out of both sides. I cant tell if the bearing are there or not. I dont know what the hell happen. I loaded everything on the big trailer and have to figure out what to do.

I cant tell whats missing but its a viking trailer and I cant find parts. I think I'm going to get a new complete axle or buy a set of duals. I would rather convert it to a tandem axle but I'm taking a chance getting them used. I dont know how that will effect the registration either?

I still dont know how the hell this happen? It has a gvwr of 3500lbs and its always carried half that.

bruces
08-09-2012, 01:08 AM
how long ago has somebody worked on the trailer ? any chance somebody was trying to steal your tires ?

SECTLANDSCAPING
08-09-2012, 01:20 AM
how long ago has somebody worked on the trailer ? any chance somebody was trying to steal your tires ?

This trailer gets used twice one week and once the next. Its set up for the small properties. So around 6 times a month.

The lug nuts were on tight. The center piece just slid out making the tire slanted. I seen a cotter pin in there. I assume thats part of what holds it in place. Once I got the weight off the trailer. I could rock the wheel back and forth. I couldnt really see what was suppose to be holding the tire on. I think if I pulled hard enough the wheel would come off.

bruces
08-09-2012, 01:38 AM
the big nut that the cotter pin goes through ,pretty much keeps everything together .If I wanted to steal your tires ,I would pull the dust cap,remove the cotter pin and nut ,then pull it all off the axle ,one nut is much quicker than removing 5 nuts .It sounds like your wheel bearings have completely blown apart ,if the big nut is still on the end of the axle ,and the wheel is slanted over .

wandfsmall
08-09-2012, 08:42 AM
I have seen them blow out from driving over railroad tracks too fast before, it takes a while after that to show up though. maybe you can fix the damage if it was not driven too long.

Steve
08-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Can you show any pictures of this?

Cashin H&P
08-09-2012, 12:24 PM
Sounds like the bearing hasnt been greased in a while. I the bearing is probably shot all to hell. I would just replace the whole hub assembly.

SECTLANDSCAPING
08-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Sounds like the bearing hasnt been greased in a while. I the bearing is probably shot all to hell. I would just replace the whole hub assembly.

Cant find what hub I need. There around $50-60 each. I figured a complete axle with hubs is a better deal at $150. Thats at tractor supply so parts are available.

Looking into to picking up two axles too.

The Cleaning Doctor
08-09-2012, 01:12 PM
Bearings need to be cleaned and greased at least once a year. There is a torque spec for them also so don't just tighten them by hand. Rule of thumb is 12k miles. Those grease fitting dust covers will help some but you still need to do it once a year at a minimum by hand. I would do them 2x per year. Before the season and after the season or on a down day. You will still use your trailer over the winter more than likely but at a minimum do it in the spring.

stevef1201
08-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Cant find what hub I need. There around $50-60 each. I figured a complete axle with hubs is a better deal at $150. Thats at tractor supply so parts are available.

Looking into to picking up two axles too.

I was given a trailer with a bent axle. Got the replacment at Tractor Supply, chepaer than anywhere else, and the same brand name too. I asked about getting new bearings if needed etc, and was shown a whole aisle of new bearings, hubs etc for axle reapir. Cannot say enough good stuff about Tractor Supply

SECTLANDSCAPING
08-09-2012, 11:33 PM
I was given a trailer with a bent axle. Got the replacment at Tractor Supply, chepaer than anywhere else, and the same brand name too. I asked about getting new bearings if needed etc, and was shown a whole aisle of new bearings, hubs etc for axle reapir. Cannot say enough good stuff about Tractor Supply

The only problem there is the axles at tractor supply mount to leaf springs. This trailer has none. So I would have to buy them and find a way to mount it safely. I think the lack of springs is what caused this. It couldve just been a bump that knocked the bearings out of place.

The spindle or axle whatever the shaft is, has a nice size nick in it from rubbing. Not sure if this can be fixed with new bearings.
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t132/dirtypockets/IMG_20120809_152646.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t132/dirtypockets/IMG_20120809_152721.jpg