PDA

View Full Version : Weed spraying and pre-emergent spraying

Lawny Anderson
08-08-2012, 09:59 PM
Question:

We don't typically spray for weeds. Our season is coming up where we're getting requests for pre-emergent already. I've never done that so...

I'm not sure how to quote. I notice that it says on the bottle that the spray covers like 1000 sq. ft. but it usually doesn't. we run through the weed spray much faster. So I don't know how much product I'll go through to factor the cost into my price.

Plus, I only have seen a weed & grass kill PLUS pre-emergent spray. How do I prevent weeds in lawns? Do they sell one for lawns too? (I have to spray in gravel/desert landscape PLUS lawns if you can)

Plus, I've been using Roundup. Is there a brand or type that professionals use? I'm finding that I get varying results which is why we typically just manually remove them.

mark123
08-09-2012, 07:07 AM
If you don't know how to calibrate then you shouldn't be applying pesticides.

Steve
08-09-2012, 11:55 AM
I'm not sure how to quote. I notice that it says on the bottle that the spray covers like 1000 sq. ft. but it usually doesn't. we run through the weed spray much faster. So I don't know how much product I'll go through to factor the cost into my price.

This is something you are going to have to test. Can you find 1,000 sq.ft. of lawn and see how much product you will need based on the way you spray? That will give you an answer on how much is used per 1,000 sq ft. Then you can come up with a price afterwards.

Lawny Anderson
08-10-2012, 11:54 PM
i can't believe i didn't think of that! lol. thanks steve!

TurfWerks
12-04-2012, 03:49 PM
I like the 1st comments.. If your not able to calibrate, you should be spraying.. Also you should be licensed to buy and use products commercially..

sharplawnsturf
12-05-2012, 12:12 PM
are you licensed to do this type of work on your customers lawns? because this isn't the kinda question a licensed applicator would be asking. There are potentially big fines for getting caught... not worth it... IMO. :D

Question:

We don't typically spray for weeds. Our season is coming up where we're getting requests for pre-emergent already. I've never done that so...

Plus, I only have seen a weed & grass kill PLUS pre-emergent spray. How do I prevent weeds in lawns? Do they sell one for lawns too? (I have to spray in gravel/desert landscape PLUS lawns if you can)

Plus, I've been using Roundup. Is there a brand or type that professionals use? I'm finding that I get varying results which is why we typically just manually remove them.

LawnCareMan280
12-05-2012, 04:03 PM
Question:

Just by some weed b gone weed killer not grass killer. If you have rider accounts you can use a tow behind tank sprayer

TurfWerks
12-10-2012, 11:41 AM
Find a company you can sub contract too that is licensed and insured... spraying commercially without proper knowledge can take a turn for the worse very quick.

TiedemanLLC
01-17-2013, 04:18 PM
I agree with just about everyone here. First, do you need to be licensed in your state. Second of all, if you need a license, then get it. Next, do training, attend seminars, ask suppliers for help.

I would personally suggest to test products on your personal property first. Practice spraying with just water first so you can get a handle on your application equipment.

stevef1201
01-17-2013, 05:35 PM
I agree with just about everyone here. First, do you need to be licensed in your state. Second of all, if you need a license, then get it. Next, do training, attend seminars, ask suppliers for help.

I would personally suggest to test products on your personal property first. Practice spraying with just water first so you can get a handle on your application equipment.

I whole heartily agree with this. I never try anything on a customers lawn. I try it on mine first, that way I don't screw up a customers lawn. Now mine however; I tried a new weed killer that the guy at store said was great, I now have to re sod about 1/4 of my yard. Don't remember the name of the stuff, I threw it away last year.

TiedemanLLC
01-17-2013, 05:55 PM
I whole heartily agree with this. I never try anything on a customers lawn. I try it on mine first, that way I don't screw up a customers lawn. Now mine however; I tried a new weed killer that the guy at store said was great, I now have to re sod about 1/4 of my yard. Don't remember the name of the stuff, I threw it away last year.

Yup, I always try out new products and new equipment on my property first. I remember the first time I tried to melt down urea in a new spray tank years and years ago. What a nightmare! I was just glad I didn't show up at a clients property with a clogged spray tank.

Steve
01-21-2013, 12:52 PM
I remember the first time I tried to melt down urea in a new spray tank years and years ago. What a nightmare!

What did you do wrong with that and what should you have done?

TiedemanLLC
01-22-2013, 10:52 AM
What did you do wrong with that and what should you have done?

I was trying to melt down too much Urea at once. So I dropped in around 100lbs all at once with almost no water in the tank. It clogged up the hoses, everything.

Steve
01-22-2013, 12:47 PM
For those that are new to this, what should you have done to prevent that from happening?

newday21
03-05-2013, 09:20 PM
I have been doing some research on this after being slaughter in the wallet last year using liquid fertilizers. However, I can not seem to find anyone that carries the "Dry water Soluble Fertilizers". I upgraded from a 100 gallon tank to a 300 gallon spray tank and I was hopeful someone could point me to where I can purchase it in store locally in Georgia.:confused:

Steve
03-06-2013, 11:57 AM
If you do a search for it there are a number of places like Kinney Nursery & Topsoil http://www.kinneynursery.com/dry-liquid-fertilizers.html

TiedemanLLC
03-06-2013, 12:43 PM
I have been doing some research on this after being slaughter in the wallet last year using liquid fertilizers. However, I can not seem to find anyone that carries the "Dry water Soluble Fertilizers". I upgraded from a 100 gallon tank to a 300 gallon spray tank and I was hopeful someone could point me to where I can purchase it in store locally in Georgia.:confused:

The only thing that I ever used in the past was urea, and melted that down in the tank. We have actually the past two years moved away from liquid fertilizers and back into granular.

dpld
03-06-2013, 03:50 PM

lesco/ john deere sells powdered water soluble fert that can be used on trees, shrubs and lawns is is more of a all around everything fert that may not target specific needs.

dogget also has water soluble powdered fert but their formula is for trees and shrubs.

either way if you use water soluble powders you need strong mechanical agitation and the water jets on the return lines which is found on most lawn rigs is not adequate enough for water soluble powders.

liquid fert has come a long way and can be had at a good price you just need to shop around.

you could also buy a 500 or 1000 gal storage tank and buy in bulk with the liquid.
i use both liquid and granular but it depends on the time of year and the particular application i am doing.
if i am doing a fert with insect control in late may early june i would be using a systemic pesticide that would be tank mixed along with some fert and i not only will be doing a two for application the fertilizer helps helps the grass absorb the pesticide more quickly.

it is a lot more cost effective to do it that way as well as 10 x's more effective in .

Grass Doctor
03-07-2013, 09:00 AM

ebay has anithing u looking for